A Toast to Good Queen Vic
Tomorrow marks the beginning of a holiday that has a special place in the hearts of Canadians. May two four is the quintessential Canadian holiday - a long weekend with no other reason than the fact that, after a long winter, we need one. :o Queen Vic's birthday fell at exactly the right time for this, so she was drafted as the one who we commemorate at this time. She was a practical woman and would surely have approved the fact that the celebration of her birthday is not necessarily exactly on her day - it has to be a Monday, eh? So's we can all get that long weekend we all so desperately need at this point in the year. ;)

As a cottager, it is even more sacred. It is the opening weekend of the cottage season. No matter that many of us start earlier. This is the weekend to party ! To blow off fireworks ! To blow off steam !

In the light of the recent spate of somewhat more testy threads that have been gracing this forum, I suspect everyone needs a Victoria Day Weekend. None of this dour Memorial Day stuff.....a celebration !

Please join me in a toast to the Queen

*pours a round of Crystal*

Those of you who would rather drink other things - well, go buy your own. :P
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I just got back from my May two four weekend trip to Ye Olde Beer Store. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm starting early!
Cheers! (nt)

-Jester
And, as the fates would have it, we also celebrate my youngest daughter's first Birthday on Sunday as well. I foresee many celebratory long-weekend outings in her teenage years with the double-barreled excuses of "Bday" and "Long Weekend" that her father will be unable to dissuade.

Enjoy.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
ShadowHM,May 19 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:Tomorrow marks the beginning of a holiday that has a special place in the hearts of Canadians. 

Please join me in a toast to the Queen

To The Queen!

*raises a glass of hard cider*

Ayup, this was the weekend we opened the cottage. Wash & wax the boat, put out the dock, go fishin', all the relatives come over to hang out and visit. Set off a bunch of fireworks (man I hate when those cherry bombs misfire when you're only a couple metres away! My ears are still ringing) and just generally enjoy the weekend.

I am indeed a monarchist. Anyone else want my support? Give me a long weekend and you got it!

Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Question for you, krishta :)

Your info says: "Neanderthal Woodworker (I use mostly antique hand tools)"

What do you make with those tools? Where do you find them?

We have *some* antique hand tools that came with the cottage - a couple generations of hoarders preceded us there. :unsure: We mostly just look at them, and then grab the power tools for the jobs we are doing. (Hand drills, for example, are kinda slow. ;) )
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Nicodemus Phaulkon,May 22 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:And, as the fates would have it, we also celebrate my youngest daughter's first Birthday on Sunday as well.  I foresee many celebratory long-weekend outings in her teenage years with the double-barreled excuses of "Bday" and "Long Weekend" that her father will be unable to dissuade.

Enjoy.
[right][snapback]78250[/snapback][/right]

'Grats. May the beer flow like water . . .

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete