Happy fireworks and bbq day, US of A-ricans.

Here's an oldie but a goodie little ditty to celebrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A
Hi,

Quote:Here's an oldie but a goodie little ditty to celebrate.
I'd rather hear To Anacreon in Heaven by a bunch of drunken Englishmen;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Here's an oldie but a goodie little ditty to celebrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

Our family went to one of the local celebrations over the weekend and this was the first Fourth of July that my odest son (3 yrs) had any clue of what was going on. When the colors were presented, I was able to get him to stand, but when I took his hat off in that still moment just before the drum roll, he cried out "hey, daddy, that's MY hat!" He followed up with "what are we looking at?" somewhere under the rockets red glare, and "what flag?" beneath the bursting bombs.

We had a fun walk back to the car a bit after that though: the whole family shared a shaved ice (even the 10 mo. old needed the cooling and hydration).
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Hi,

Quote:Our family went to one of the local celebrations over the weekend and this was the first Fourth of July that my odest son (3 yrs) had any clue of what was going on. When the colors were presented, I was able to get him to stand, but when I took his hat off in that still moment just before the drum roll, he cried out "hey, daddy, that's MY hat!" He followed up with "what are we looking at?" somewhere under the rockets red glare, and "what flag?" beneath the bursting bombs.

We had a fun walk back to the car a bit after that though: the whole family shared a shaved ice (even the 10 mo. old needed the cooling and hydration).
Sounds like a happy outing. Good for you and your family.:)

As for me, I heard a lot of fireworks, but no anthems -- we've come to celebrate the spirit of independence day like we've come to celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Slightly, if at all.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Sounds like a happy outing. Good for you and your family.:)

As for me, I heard a lot of fireworks, but no anthems -- we've come to celebrate the spirit of independence day like we've come to celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Slightly, if at all.

--Pete

Agreed, though Chanukah is the winter celebration in our house. Since moving back to the DC area, I always feel like the right place to be on 7/4 is at the National Archives Documents of Freedom exhibit, but with two kids <=3 yrs, it's not worth it. Just wait until they get older though: All the free culture/science they can stand courtesy of the Smithsonian Institute.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:As for me, I heard a lot of fireworks, but no anthems -- we've come to celebrate the spirit of independence day like we've come to celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Slightly, if at all.
I was at a huge family reunion for the descendants of my mother's father's mother's father, Per Adolph Karlsson who's children changed their names to Englund when they went to the US and Canada. We had an evening open mike entertainment where amongst songs, skits, clowns, and jokes we sang both the Star Spangled Banner, and Du Gamla Du Frei. Then, at 9:30pm we all went to a nearby lake to watch the fireworks. All that was missing was the parade. :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:I was at a huge family reunion for the descendants of my mother's father's mother's father, Per Adolph Karlsson who's children changed their names to Englund when they went to the US and Canada. We had an evening open mike entertainment where amongst songs, skits, clowns, and jokes we sang both the Star Spangled Banner, and Du Gamla Du Frei. Then, at 9:30pm we all went to a nearby lake to watch the fireworks. All that was missing was the parade. :)

Det måste vara roligt.

Does your family also celebrate middsommarafton?
Quote:Det måste vara roligt. Does your family also celebrate middsommarafton?
Ja. :lol: We dance around the sacred tree and make our blót sacrifices for the elves and the Norse gods. Ok, we just dance around the tree and sing. Then we eat, and exchange meaningful trinkets. :) It would be fun to see it done the old way.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Ja. :lol: We dance around the sacred tree and make our blót sacrifices for the elves and the Norse gods. Ok, we just dance around the tree and sing. Then we eat, and exchange meaningful trinkets. :) It would be fun to see it done the old way.

You know that this 'tree' is just a big fallus symbol right? :blush:

Anyway, I think the way they do it here mainly concerns drinking huge quantities of aquavit.:)
Quote:You know that this 'tree' is just a big fallus symbol right? :blush:
Well, seriously, Yggrdrasil. It's a pretty interesting representation of the universe.
Quote:Anyway, I think the way they do it here mainly concerns drinking huge quantities of aquavit.:)
Have you seen the banned IKEA commercial? :lol:

Quote:Well, seriously, Yggrdrasil. It's a pretty interesting representation of the universe.

Here they dance around this thing http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsommarst%C3%A5ng
Quote:Here they dance around this thing http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsommarst%C3%A5ng

Looks rather like our May-Poles. And yes, I think the underlying meaning is the same:)

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.