Um or better
I play D2 online (USEast -non ladder) and have yet to stumble across anything better than a Pul rune. :( My lvl 86 Assassin has about 200+ mf and usually fights in Hell difficulty - Act 4 max. Do I need more MF to find those rare ones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:
Remmiz,May 13 2005, 08:22 PM Wrote:I play D2 online (USEast -non ladder) and have yet to stumble across anything better than a Pul rune.  :(  My lvl 86 Assassin has about 200+ mf and usually fights in Hell difficulty - Act 4 max.  Do I need more MF to find those rare ones? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]77347[/snapback][/right]

MF does not affect rune drops. Your best bet is to kill in areas with lots of monsters that can drop those runes. Good places are the lvl 85 areas sucha s the Pit, Mausoleum and WSK. You can also download ATMA and use the Drop Calculator to figure out where you can hunt easily.

--T
hakai_no_tenshi,May 13 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:MF does not affect rune drops. Your best bet is to kill in areas with lots of monsters that can drop those runes. Good places are the lvl 85 areas sucha s the Pit, Mausoleum and WSK. You can also download ATMA and use the Drop Calculator to figure out where you can hunt easily.

--T
[right][snapback]77348[/snapback][/right]

There's a rune hunting guide I've seen. As I recall, it suggests Hell tombs with a teleporter as the best option, because of the special chest in each tomb.

You can run a few characters up through the Hellforge. Hell hellforge drops up to Vex, I believe. I've gotten a Gul and an Ist (as well as some lower ones like Fal) from the Hellforge. (Another possible option -- I don't do this myself, but many folks online will offer rushes to other new characters in exchange for the hellforge. I've never tried that myself and can't say how often it works -- I'm sure that some people bail before actually giving you the drop -- but it does seem to be a pretty common practice).

You can run Hell countess a lot, but you'll need hundreds of runs to have a decent chance at a rune.

As far as playing-the-game drops, I've gotten a few Lems and Fals, and most runes below. Also, I got a single Ist, which came on (believe it or not) a drop in early Act V nightmare. I almost fell over -- the chances of that drop are astronomically small.
goldfish,May 13 2005, 03:39 PM Wrote:Hell hellforge drops up to Vex, I believe.[right][snapback]77377[/snapback][/right]

Hell hellforge gives Hel to Gul.
Thanks for everyone's replies. I did download ATMA and its drop calculator is fantastic. For 1.10 the best chance of getting an Um rune is indeed the Hell/Countess route but the chance is only 1:356. Looks like its going to take some effort to get a good rune! :o
Remmiz,May 16 2005, 10:31 AM Wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies.  I did download ATMA and its drop calculator is fantastic.  For 1.10 the best chance of getting an Um rune is indeed the Hell/Countess route but the chance is only 1:356.  Looks like its going to take some effort to get a good rune! :o
[right][snapback]77542[/snapback][/right]
Remember to rune hunt on players 1 when killing the countess. Her special rune drop happens after her normal drop, but she can only drop 6 items. If her normal drop takes up all 6, then her rune drop doesn't drop at all.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Jun 26 2005, 04:21 PM Wrote:Remember to rune hunt on players 1 when killing the countess.  Her special rune drop happens after her normal drop, but she can only drop 6 items.  If her normal drop takes up all 6, then her rune drop doesn't drop at all.
[right][snapback]81710[/snapback][/right]

Absolutely correct.

Even with two players in the game, she will only drop one rune (if she drops any), and it will nearly always be lower level.

Countess and Andy. Just do that run. Get the runes from countess, then some uniques/sets from Andy. Wash, rinse, repeat.
SetBuilder,Jun 26 2005, 08:28 PM Wrote:Absolutely correct.

Even with two players in the game, she will only drop one rune (if she drops any), and it will nearly always be lower level.

Countess and Andy. Just do that run. Get the runes from countess, then some uniques/sets from Andy. Wash, rinse, repeat.
[right][snapback]81711[/snapback][/right]
I don't think that is correct. Even on players 8 (players 8 still has a nodrop chance) she can drop the same amount of runes, just the chances are much slimmer, and the runes should be chosen randomly from the rune drop.

And remember not to use the andy trick when killing andy, unless you can't avoid it.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Jun 27 2005, 03:13 PM Wrote:I don't think that is correct.  Even on players 8 (players 8 still has a nodrop chance) she can drop the same amount of runes, just the chances are much slimmer, and the runes should be chosen randomly from the rune drop.

And remember not to use the andy trick when killing andy, unless you can't avoid it.
[right][snapback]81810[/snapback][/right]

Player's 8? Umm... I was actually referring to realms/ladder, where there is no player's 8. I do a LOT of countess runs (mainly not for runes, but because I always find set item in Tower), and any time there is someone besides me in the game, she never drops more than one rune, many times 0. Yet EVERY time I run alone, I always get two, except for the times I get three.

And I don't know anything about the andy trick other than it exists. Kill andy, she drops neat stuff has been one of those things that has always been a rule, I thought. Didn't know there was anything wrong with andy runs until reading earlier, and still don't know the details. Can you PM them to me so I'll know?
Unless it's been changed or someone just found something better after I stopped playing, the Flayer Jungle has always been good rune hunting grounds. Not because of the chances of drops, more because of the number of monsters you'll run into going through there.

Edit: changed wording a bit.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Wyrm,Jun 29 2005, 09:50 AM Wrote:Unless it's been changed or someone just found something better after I stopped playing, the Flayer Jungle has always been good rune hunting grounds.  Not because of the chances of drops, more because of the number of monsters you'll run into going through there.

Edit: changed wording a bit.
[right][snapback]81988[/snapback][/right]

Good for sorcy or anything that shoots multiples of something ranged. I don't think I personally like Flayer jungle for bashers, simply because you get surrounded more, which makes things take too long, if you're just running. Also, flayers run away, which sucks.
A good strafer works well in the Flayer jungles

--T
I have found ist on countess once, and the rest of the time it's pretty much amn sol thul.... anyway i have a weird idea :huh:

Since you all seem to agree that countess drop is limited to 6 items, perhaps if you made a sorc with 0% mf just for rune hunting (and of course help rushing and such) then maybe large items won't drop...could this possibly even the odds of getting runes instead of crappy items?

I dunno it was just a thought :D
[Image: LokebyGeorge.gif]
LokeTheDragon,Jul 1 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:I have found ist on countess once, and the rest of the time it's pretty much amn sol thul.... anyway i have a weird idea :huh:

Since you all seem to agree that countess drop is limited to 6 items, perhaps if you made a sorc with 0% mf just for rune hunting (and of course help rushing and such) then maybe large items won't drop...could this possibly even the odds of getting runes instead of crappy items?

I dunno it was just a thought  :D
[right][snapback]82274[/snapback][/right]

MF has absolutely no effect on base item drops. All it'll affect is the quality of an item (e.g. unique, set, magic). So MF will neither give more nor less runes.
adeyke,Jul 2 2005, 12:19 AM Wrote:MF has absolutely no effect on base item drops.  All it'll affect is the quality of an item (e.g. unique, set, magic).  So MF will neither give more nor less runes.
[right][snapback]82276[/snapback][/right]

yes of course i realize mf doesn't impact rune drops... mf is 'better chance of finding magical items' and yes it does affect quality of drops, but surely it somehow affects # of drops in some subtle fashion.
i was saying with no mf to increase probability of items drops, maybe runes will have a more fair chance of falling since the 6 item quota won't be (as likely to be) overrun with other stuff
i guess that idea would have to be tested to have any real idea of it's validity. perhaps i will try it but i haven't been playing that much lately so don't hold your breath waiting from a report from me :whistling:
[Image: LokebyGeorge.gif]
<_<
adeyke,Jul 3 2005, 12:25 AM Wrote:<_<
[right][snapback]82318[/snapback][/right]

Makes you wonder sometimes if it's worth handing out info to those who will not use it, eh? ;)

--T
SetBuilder,Jun 28 2005, 09:17 PM Wrote:Player's 8? Umm... I was actually referring to realms/ladder, where there is no player's 8. I do a LOT of countess runs (mainly not for runes, but because I always find set item in Tower), and any time there is someone besides me in the game, she never drops more than one rune, many times 0. Yet EVERY time I run alone, I always get two, except for the times I get three.

And I don't know anything about the andy trick other than it exists. Kill andy, she drops neat stuff has been one of those things that has always been a rule, I thought. Didn't know there was anything wrong with andy runs until reading earlier, and still don't know the details. Can you PM them to me so I'll know?
[right][snapback]81934[/snapback][/right]
I've gotten no runes from her on players 1 and 3 runes on players 8. All the players do is decrease the no drop chance, so they don't guarantee one or two runes on players x.

Players 8 was referring to the number of people in the game, whether it be single player with the command /players 8 or simply having 8 people in the game.

Search for the thread on the Andy trick if you are interested in it, otherwise just don't bother. It is too small to worry about.
Some new info regarding /players X in Single Player

--T