Do You Remember Prom?
It's that time of year, and this year both my formal dances were amazing.

Kasreyn wore the tux last time. This time it's my turn.

Relive your memories tonight! I'm going to dance the night away. ^_^
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,May 7 2005, 07:03 PM Wrote:It's that time of year, and this year both my formal dances were amazing.

[right][snapback]76589[/snapback][/right]

So he's wearing the dress?!

Does he look good in blue?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Never went to any of my school's dances. Was perfectly fine staying home.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
I had a blast at my school dances. I can't say Prom was any great shakes to remember, but the after parties were always something crazy.

Load up kids on high expectations, add alcohol, and then stand back and watch it explode. Interesting nights to say the least.

Cheers,

Munk
Doc,May 8 2005, 01:54 AM Wrote:So he's wearing the dress?!

[right][snapback]76595[/snapback][/right]

I took one of my friends. She's the reason I'm wearing pink. Her dress was very pink and tulle-y. (I don't want to post her picture here unless she gives me the okay.) We were the best-dressed couple, hands down.

Somebody puked on the dance floor. >_< Fortunately, not one of us.
Munkay,May 7 2005, 11:12 PM Wrote:I can't say Prom was any great shakes to remember
[right][snapback]76601[/snapback][/right]

My prom was great. It was held in a hall conveniently placed beside a beer store. Much drunken fun was had by all.

I look spiffy in a tuxedo.
Doc,May 8 2005, 01:54 AM Wrote:So he's wearing the dress?!

[right][snapback]76595[/snapback][/right]

Dammit, I look *excellent* in blue. ^_^ Now if only this skirt would quit riding up...

j/k. Wish it had been me she was dancing with tonight... ah well, soon enough :)
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Looking smooth! =) I would post pictures from mine (I just got home) but I don't have them yet. I will edit this in a few days. =)
WWBBD?
Yes, I vividly remember my prom. Yes, I wish I didn't.

Thankfully, the afterprom party helped salvage a little of the evening.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Count Duckula,May 7 2005, 06:03 PM Wrote:It's that time of year, and this year both my formal dances were amazing.

My son and daughter enjoy pulling out the one remaining picture of the prom I went to, and giggling at both my haircut and the camel colored tux I wore.

Verdict? Fashion emergency. Have been to many better formal balls and dances since. All of them were improved, IMO, by dancing enabler fluid.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 8 2005, 09:42 AM Wrote:Verdict?  Fashion emergency.  Have been to many better formal balls and dances since.  All of them were improved, IMO, by dancing enabler fluid. 
[right][snapback]76623[/snapback][/right]

What? No real dance lessons for dancing enabler? Go get some! Highly recommended for those currently with dates, and those out in the field. Force your kids to get (not show) social dancing lessons too.

I never went to my prom, but went to better dances since... especially with real dancing lessons. Swing, am waltz, salsa, cha cha, foxtrot... but mostly swing. Fun as hell, and learn to ask people to dance as if its no big deal--which it isn't for social dancing events. Everyone's out to dance.
Count Duckula,May 7 2005, 07:03 PM Wrote:Relive your memories tonight! I'm going to dance the night away. ^_^
Didn't attend my high school proms (junior or senior) and wasn't really disappointed by that. My high school had some pretty clearly defined cliques, and I ended up as part of one that was out of place at social functions. Did have some good times at fraternity formals in college. My housemates and I always hosted a wine and cheese reception prior to the event which was the place to be before everyone headed out to the event. Also had a good time at my own wedding which was the next time I was in a tuxedo.

Drasca,May 9 2005, 06:14 AM Wrote:What? No real dance lessons for dancing enabler? Go get some! Highly recommended for those currently with dates, and those out in the field. Force your kids to get (not show) social dancing lessons too.
Have to agree with you there. My wife and I took a class in social dance while in college (before marriage of course). It was one of the easiest credits I ever earned, and also gave me a bit more confidence in being able to move to music. I put it about on par with being able to swim: you never know when it may save your life :huh:. Though, in general, I subscribe to Schroeder's theory that "Musicians don't dance."
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sadly we don't have these events in England

I wish we did, the photos are charming, I'm glad you had fun :)
Brista,May 10 2005, 09:30 AM Wrote:Sadly we don't have these events in England

I wish we did, the photos are charming, I'm glad you had fun :)
[right][snapback]76769[/snapback][/right]

I did, and very much. ^_^

The alcohol was super-expensive though--four bucks for beer and six for a glass of wine. Luckily, me and my date snagged a couple shots of Tequila Rose before we left. (It's a strawberry liquer mixed with tequila.)

I'm just sad that I can't find a Fall Formal photo where my dress isn't acting up or my chest doesn't get creased. :wacko: And you don't have any formal dances in English schools? Weird. What about the rest of the planet? Is this strictly a North American thing?
Count Duckula,May 10 2005, 06:38 AM Wrote:What about the rest of the planet? Is this strictly a North American thing?
[right][snapback]76773[/snapback][/right]

I suspect this is a changing (creeping?) phenomenon. My high school graduation involved a dance. Not a 'formal' dance. No tuxes. Some suits on the boys. Some long dresses on the girls, although this *was* the day of the midi-skirt, so many of us actually wore long dresses to school too. :rolleyes:

University graduation did a formal dance organized - tuxes were sported, but not by all males attending (and only one of the women - the only openly homosexual person in our classes).

However, my eldest son's high school graduation had a very formal affair as part of the graduation exercises. (Tangential observation on the feeling a mother gets seeing her son in a tux for the first time - downright weepy!)

Additionally, there was a similar affair organized for the 8th grade graduation. (!) Again, tuxes were optional, but suits were required, and all the girls had 'formal' dresses on. Furthermore, I have been reading reports in the newspapers about that sort of dance now being organized for 6th grade graduations - when you leave junior school and attend a 'middle' school. I have not seen them, because my children attend a 'junior-middle' school, where they do not have to change schools after Gr. 6.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Never really went to a prom... But I did take my wife to a very formal even. I wore my traditional tank kilt and a Prince Charlie jacket. Wore brogues, hose, and flashes even. Even had the lacy cuffs at the end of my sleeves and frills on my shirt sticking out of my jacket. I know it's not dressy, not dressy at all, but, as a marker of my own heritage and to remind people that I am the Swampcrawler, I wore my alligator foot sporran. I probably should have worn a fur dress sporran.

Now, I am an ugly fellow... I can spook a gargoyle. I have a face that can curdle water. But damn, I looked good in formal Scottish attire. When I made my grand entrance, you could hear a pin drop. While the dreadlocks and beardlocks might have looked a bit strange with such formal attire... The overall effect was simply stunning.

I have never been one to wear monkeysuits. I own a tux or two. I keep them in mothballs. I never wear them. I own some damn fine suits and have never been comfortable in them. I can't pull it off... Wearing a really nice tux is fine and wonderful, but, the dreadlocks throw the look off... I look like a mud grubbing savage stuffed into fine dress for people's amusement... Don't ask me how, but I managed to pull the kilted Scottish formal attire off with my locks. Something about the large clawed scaly alligator foot and my dreadlocks just making everything match is what people said... They would expect no less from me. And for the first time in my life, I truly enjoyed dressing up. I think this is as close as I could get to getting that "prom" feeling and I can see what the big deal is, and why people enjoy it so much. For many, it's that one night where they have a shot at living a fairy tale.

My only concern... The marble tile floor was so damned buff... I mean polished to a mirror finish... You could look down at the floor and clearly see I was going regimental. And the ladies figured this out right quick. Brought a lot of laughs, giggles, and blushes.

Oh... As for my wife, she wore a kilted skirt. Flower of Scotland tartan in a wonderful 13 oz wool. She looked radiant. She was so beautiful. She made me all nervous and I had sweaty palms and everything... I felt like a boy again. She was so pretty I wanted to throw up. Butterflies in the stomach and all.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Count Duckula,May 10 2005, 11:38 AM Wrote:I did, and very much. ^_^

The alcohol was super-expensive though--four bucks for beer and six for a glass of wine. Luckily, me and my date snagged a couple shots of Tequila Rose before we left. (It's a strawberry liquer mixed with tequila.)

----I don't understand what is lucky about drinking something like that? :D

I'm just sad that I can't find a Fall Formal photo where my dress isn't acting up or my chest doesn't get creased.&nbsp; :wacko: And you don't have any formal dances in English schools? Weird. What about the rest of the planet? Is this strictly a North American thing?
[right][snapback]76773[/snapback][/right]

Yes, we don't have this in Holland....at least not when I left high school. But luckily there are all those great teen movies from the states about this topic. :D
So is it true that all the proms end up like in Carrie?
eppie,May 10 2005, 08:44 AM Wrote:Yes, we don't have this in Holland....at least not when I left high school. But luckily there are all those great teen movies from the states about this topic. :D
So is it true that all the proms end up like in Carry?
[right][snapback]76782[/snapback][/right]

THEY'RE ALL GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU!!!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
eppie,May 10 2005, 07:44 AM Wrote:So is it true that all the proms end up like in Carry?
[right][snapback]76782[/snapback][/right]

What, you were unaware that Carrie was a documentary? Part of the annual ritual in America is the killing of teenagers for the purposes of ensuring a bountiful harvest. The lure of "The Dance" is irresistable, and odds of being picked low. The selection of the sacrifice is made by a council composed of the senior class president, faculty advisors, the local mayor, and the treasurer of the 4-H club. The evening's excitement is enhanced by not know who will be going home with whom, and who will be going home at all.

Just another example of how "on the edge" Americans live.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Prom was weird where I lived. All the big dances were extremely formal, but the real fun was the after-dance parties. Many people skipped the dances all together - I was one of these. Just never saw the point to them.

Dancing has never been enjoyable at all for me. I'll go along with it if my lady-friend is dead set on it to make her happy, but otherwise it's just not "my thing". Plus I can't *stand* 99% of the music clubs and dance/formal DJs play... that crap is just horrible.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London