Ahh Wimbledon
http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/2009/0...uote/index.html
Hi,

Quote: . . .
Form always beats out function with the stupid. This is just another "dog bites man" story, though slightly humorous.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Although I think it's very much a non-issue, and players shouldn't care which court they play the early rounds on, I'm surprised that a club official would be so blunt about this. Ironically, Serena is thought to be quite attractive in some circles. Personally I think she has an ugly nose and man shoulders, but she's done a number of fashion shoots including Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.

And perhaps this is American bias, but I think anyone who cares enough about tennis to attend Wimbledon or even watch it on BBC has probably heard of the Williams sisters. They've only been the best 2 female tennis players of the last 10 years and played each other in the finals of numerous grand slam events while teaming up to dominate the doubles.

The better controversy at this year's Wimbledon is fans shrieking back at female players who shriek during their shots to make fun of them. I think that's hilarious, and wish I could be there to join in. :D I've given this thing some thought too. Sometimes I shriek when throwing heavy boxes, although it is more a matter of frustration than focus. Baseball sluggers do not shriek when they swing the bat, nor do pitchers when they pitch. Some martial artists do shriek, but I've never heard a boxer do it. I get the feeling it isn't really necessary to generate maximum power, or guys like Mike Tyson and George Foreman would have been shrieking like banshees.
Quote: ...shriek...
I get the feeling it isn't really necessary to generate maximum power, or guys like Mike Tyson and George Foreman would have been shrieking like banshees.

I was under the impression that it's mainly to train you to exhale sharply when throwing a punch, to get a bit more power from upper and lower body muscles and to be prepared for a nasty counter to that area:).

Remember Monica Seles btw?

:D

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
[desync audio]Your super smash backhand is no match for my ninja overhead lob. Hiyeeeee Ah!

In martial arts, the sharp exhale of breath is an attempt to harness Chi. Think of Monica as the Bruce Lee of tennis.

Then again, you don't hear Chuck Norris needing some pansy Chi exhale. If Chuck Norris used the forceful exhale Chi, the sonic boom would shatter bone and render everyone within 50 yards unconscious.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Quote:Then again, you don't hear Chuck Norris needing some pansy Chi exhale.
Maybe, if he had, he wouldn't have had the s**t kicked out of him by Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon, his first credited film (IIRC). Then again, Chuck would have needed a lot more than heavy breathing to measure up to the *real* master. There will never be another Bruce Lee, and it's a shame he died so young.

--Pete

Quote:Maybe, if he had, he wouldn't have had the s**t kicked out of him by Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon, his first credited film (IIRC).

So rare to get a movie with two actual karate masters at the top of their form in it (especially with one of them being the god of all karate actors). Magnificent fight scenes! Simply and truly magnificent.
Quote:Maybe, if he had, he wouldn't have had the s**t kicked out of him by Bruce Lee in Return of the Dragon, his first credited film (IIRC). Then again, Chuck would have needed a lot more than heavy breathing to measure up to the *real* master. There will never be another Bruce Lee, and it's a shame he died so young.
I *so* loved the "Green Hornet", only because of Cato.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

hi,

Quote:I *so* loved the "Green Hornet", only because of Cato.
I saw a bio of Lee years ago. Apparently, Green Hornet was a favorite in Hong Kong where it was called The Cato Show. Does anyone remember who played the Green Hornet? :D

--Pete

Kind of in the same family is this article about chess.