Rest State
I've been wondering some about rest state. I seem to recall (though from where, I have no idea) that rest state starts out building slowly, and gets a little quicker towards the max if you've not logged into that C for some time.

So I'm wondering what triggers rest on and off, and it's accrual speed. If I just leave the C alone for 4-5 days, will I acquire more rest bonus than if I log onto the C once a day to check mail, thus breaking uninterrupted rest? To break rest state, what do I need to do? Fight (in any of the three possible modes)? Move? Commit some action, such as checking mail or the AH? Interact with a PC or an NPC?

Or does it make a difference? If I log in, check the wowmail, run around IF, and then log off, am I still considered 'resting'. If I leave the rest area (A capital city or an Inn) does that reset rest? Or is rest just a set bonus, so that if I'm logged off for an hour or 10 days, I accrue it at the same rate?

Lots of questions, I know.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,May 5 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:I've been wondering some about rest state. I seem to recall (though from where, I have no idea) that rest state starts out building slowly, and gets a little quicker towards the max if you've not logged into that C for some time.

So I'm wondering what triggers rest on and off, and it's accrual speed. If I just leave the C alone for 4-5 days, will I acquire more rest bonus than if I log onto the C once a day to check mail, thus breaking uninterrupted rest? To break rest state, what do I need to do? Fight  (in any of the three possible modes)? Move? Commit some action, such as checking mail or the AH? Interact with a PC or an NPC?

Or does it make a difference? If I log in, check the wowmail, run around IF, and then log off, am I still considered 'resting'. If I leave the rest area (A capital city or an Inn) does that reset rest? Or is rest just a set bonus, so that if I'm logged off for an hour or 10 days, I accrue it at the same rate?

[right][snapback]76388[/snapback][/right]

Rest is a set number of rested experience that you gain while you're in a rested area, as near as I can tell. I got a mod as a part of the Insomniax package that shows the amount of exp I have rested, and it does wonders for my understanding of the beast. Some key facts:

-Rest is gained while you're in an area that has the little 'zzz' over where your character icon portrait. Rest is still gained while you're logged in in one of these areas, though I'm not sure if it's at the 100% rate.

-Any inn or capitol city will trigger rest gain. I don't think Inns in capitol cities have a bizarre double gain effect, but scientific testing may be in order here.

-Rest state gain speed is dependant on level, as it seems that you gain a certain percentage of the distance to the next level in a period of time. Higher levels gain more rested experience in a given time.

-Rest state seems to be capped at 2 levels worth, roughly. So, higher levels can store more rested experience.

-Rested experience is burned fighting monsters that give you experience. That's the whole '+196 rested bonus' thing, when that shows up it means you just got 196 of your rested experience as real experience.

-Quest experience doesn't burn rest state. Neither does exploring.

That's all the observations I can think of. As the sort of person that occasionally takes a week off and who took the whole of march off, half of my levels since 32 are due to rest state!
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
Thawwing Light,May 5 2005, 08:35 PM Wrote:-Rest state gain speed is dependant on level, as it seems that you gain a certain percentage of the distance to the next level in a period of time. Higher levels gain more rested experience in a given time.[right][snapback]76401[/snapback][/right]

It's all percentages. You gain one bar of rest state per 8 hours logged out in a rest area (city or inn) (One bar on the EXP bar = 5%)

You gain one bar of rest state per 24 hours logged out in a non rest area.

I am not sure about how rest state accumulates while logged in in a rest area, however, I do know you gain rest state.

And I'm pretty certain you do not gain rest state no matter how long you sit around, logged in, in the middle of a zone that is not a rest area.

Edit: Added the % info.
Thawwing Light,May 5 2005, 08:35 PM Wrote:-Quest experience doesn't burn rest state. Neither does exploring.
[right][snapback]76401[/snapback][/right]
This is good to know. I had always assumed that I was wasting rest state if I turned in quests before I had used it up. I'll have to watch the little indicator next time. It should move the same amount as the bar moves on a turnin.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,May 5 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:This is good to know.  I had always assumed that I was wasting rest state if I turned in quests before I had used it up.  I'll have to watch the little indicator next time.  It should move the same amount as the bar moves on a turnin.
[right][snapback]76407[/snapback][/right]

It does. I watched it jump with major quests before I got the mod, and post mod, the 'rested experience' number doesn't go down with quests.

My theory on this number is that it's blizzard's effective method of employing the 'double speed experience' in a fair and effective manner. They needed a way that it would deal with partial kills, with different levels, with half levels, with the multiple levels where the experience to next level is different... I'm guessing they just found it easiest to create a pool of 'Rested experience' gained when in situations that gain you rest (Logged out anywhere, logged in in a 'resting zone', logged out in a resting zone). They then came up with algorithms I don't know, but would guess at if I cared to for the gain speed, and then let this pool be converted to character experience when fighting monsters, adding in a little less than the monster's actual kill experience to 'double experience gain speed'.

So, to get the 'Rested state is double experience' as advertised, without loopholes, we aren't exactly having our experience doubled. Rather, we're drawing upon points accumulated by our not playing. It works, though, and I'm glad it exists.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

Here is all the info you asked for and more:
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/bas...sting.html

Note that the "official" description differs slightly from answers given in this thread.
Pesmerga,May 5 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:I am not sure about how rest state accumulates while logged in in a rest area, however, I do know you gain rest state.
[right][snapback]76406[/snapback][/right]

While doing some extended crafting in Ogrimmar after burning all of my rested exp, I noticed I could actually watch the experience go up a noticable amount in this time. I was level 41, so I could see a good amount of gain, as a 'percentage' of my next level is quite a bit. In about half and hour to an hour of crafting, auction housing, and banking, I gained between 50 and 200 rested exp.

I'd like to burn off my full rest state, and take measurements in Ogrimmar over a 24 hour period to see the percentile gain. This would probably be easier with a level 1 character, with a lower TNL, and easier measurements. Just monitor him every few hours for 12 or 24 hours, know the experience needed for his next level, and the calculations should be easy.

Xanthix,May 5 2005, 10:54 PM Wrote:Here is all the info you asked for and more:
https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/bas...sting.html

Note that the "official" description differs slightly from answers given in this thread.
[right][snapback]76415[/snapback][/right]

Not really. The main difference is I've been looking at a mod that's giving me what I believe to be insight into the exact nature of how the rest state is coded.

Heck, I'm really getting in the mood to do some deploy some scientific testing and hash out the specifics, provided that my mod is accurate.

Mirajj,May 5 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:I've been wondering some about rest state. I seem to recall (though from where, I have no idea) that rest state starts out building slowly, and gets a little quicker towards the max if you've not logged into that C for some time.

So I'm wondering what triggers rest on and off, and it's accrual speed. If I just leave the C alone for 4-5 days, will I acquire more rest bonus than if I log onto the C once a day to check mail, thus breaking uninterrupted rest? To break rest state, what do I need to do? Fight  (in any of the three possible modes)? Move? Commit some action, such as checking mail or the AH? Interact with a PC or an NPC?

[right][snapback]76388[/snapback][/right]
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/basics/resting.html

Basically there are 3 states to be in for 'earning' rest.

The first is out and about adventuring which will accumulate zero rest state and as you kill monsters the rest state you have accumulated gets used up. This using up is only applied to exerience earned from monsters, not exploration or quest rewards. Also note for hunters that their pets only earn experience for mob kills and do not earn a rest state bonus to that amount; nor do the pets earn experience for exploring or turning in quests. This can have an impact on being able to have your pet keep up with the hunter at times due the different rates of the experience gain to the hunter and their pet.

The second state of gaining rest bonus is to be logged off in a non-rest area (alliance and horde faction cities or any inn). The rate of gain of the rest state is one bubble per 32 hours in this state.

The third state of gaining rest bonus is to be in one of the rest areas (alliance and horde faction cities or any inn). You do not need to be logged off to gain the bonus in these areas. The rate of gain is one bubble per 8 hours in one of these areas.

The maximum amount of bubbles that can be gained is 30 bubbles (1.5 levels worth of experience).

Thawwing Light:
Quote:-Rest is gained while you're in an area that has the little 'zzz' over where your character icon portrait. Rest is still gained while you're logged in in one of these areas, though I'm not sure if it's at the 100% rate.

-Any inn or capitol city will trigger rest gain. I don't think Inns in capitol cities have a bizarre double gain effect, but scientific testing may be in order here.
Same rates in both those cases. The inns in the A-H factions cities give no additional bonus over the rate of the city itself. These were things that were addressed in beta concerning the wacked out rest system that they first implemented in the game. Check old posts from during the beta period to see the complicated and very messed system they tried to foster off then.

Ruvanal,May 5 2005, 07:11 PM Wrote:The maximum amount of bubbles that can be gained is 30 bubbles (1.5 levels worth of experience).

Small nitpick: I believe your rest limit (and rest rate) are based exclusively on your current level, so "1.5 levels" (or 30 bubbles) can be a bit misleading -- it's actually 1.5 times the experience needed to gain the level you are currently in, which is a bit less than the amount of exp needed to advance one and a half levels. In other words, your rest rate and rest cap go up when you level -- not when your rest indicator slides offscreen into the next level.

for example, I have a character at level 36 1/2, rest capped with 53,700 bonus points (viewed using gypsy mod, which displays how many 'extra' XP from monster kills you'll get, instead of how many XP untill you stop being rested), which is exactly 0.75 * 71,600 (the number of XP needed to go from 36 to 37).

-- frink
Professor Frink,May 6 2005, 02:22 AM Wrote:Small nitpick: I believe your rest limit (and rest rate) are based exclusively on your current level, so "1.5 levels" (or 30 bubbles) can be a bit misleading -- it's actually 1.5 times the experience needed to gain the level you are currently in, which is a bit less than the amount of exp needed to advance one and a half levels.  In other words, your rest rate and rest cap go up when you level -- not when your rest indicator slides offscreen into the next level.

for example, I have a character at level 36 1/2, rest capped with 53,700 bonus points (viewed using gypsy mod, which displays how many 'extra' XP from monster kills you'll get, instead of how many XP untill you stop being rested), which is exactly 0.75 * 71,600 (the number of XP needed to go from 36 to 37). 

-- frink
[right][snapback]76427[/snapback][/right]
True. You have a pool that is the amount of bonus xp you have accumulated. This pool is capped at 3/4 of the xp you need to get to your current level (what ever that level is). The XP in the pool is a fixed number, so if you go up a level the cap goes up and the rate that you acquire rest state goes up (it takes exactly the same length of time for a level 1 to acquire full rest state as a level 60) but the amount of rest state you have remains that fixed number. Every time you kill a mob, the rest state XP is reduced by the amount of XP the mob would have given you (doubling the XP for that kill). As mentioned earlier, XP gained from any other source (quest xp) does not reduce rest state.

There is no 30 bubble number here. That's just a shorthand approximation.