This world is not ours
Occhi, see post about hemlock, above, before you begin drinking.

As for all this jerking off, and since we have pirated this here philosophy thread, allow me to ask a philosophical question.

What is the sound of one hand fapping?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,May 1 2005, 11:31 PM Wrote:And make sure any images you include adhere to posting guidelines, or Dee Bye will PWNZ UR NOOB 4$$!!!
[right][snapback]75932[/snapback][/right]

Damn straight! :shuriken:
Personal attack - bye bye for you.
Doc,May 1 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:Damnit, you can't go around saying that crap around professional bullsnotters, er, Philosophy Doctorates... You will destroy what little meaning we have in our over-thought obcessive compulsive lives! Why, you could make some poor soul drink hemlock you heartless bastard! FIE and SHAME on you! Have you no soul?

I am in rare form tonight. I dunno what it is. My dreadlock ariels must be picking up some odd cosmic vibes tonight.

Voltaire said "Hell is other people."

Who brought marshmallows?
[right][snapback]75931[/snapback][/right]

Voltaire obviously had some disappointing dates, and went to all the wrong dinner parties.

Didn't he die of The Pox?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
A pirate walks into a bar. The bartender is shocked and alarmed to see a large wooden ship's wheel bolted to the pirates groin.

"Sir, are you ok? Doesn't that hurt?" The barkeeper asks.

"AAAAAAARRRRRRRR! It's driving me nuts!" the pirate replies.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 1 2005, 09:35 PM Wrote:Occhi, see post about hemlock, above, before you begin drinking.

As for all this jerking off, and since we have pirated this here philosophy thread, allow me to ask a philosophical question.

What is the sound of one hand fapping?
[right][snapback]75933[/snapback][/right]

Doc. Thank goodness I had my roll of duct tape here. I wrapped in tightly around my head, three times, just in time to prevent my brain from exploding. Conjugating the verb "To Fap" nearly short circuited my central nervous system.

Duct tape: recommended by serious philosophers, and Safety Officers, everywhere. :whistling:

Occhi

PS: If you hijack a thread like this while on a wireless network at an airport, the Department of Homoland Security will have you locked down in a trice.
In Memory of Pete
[ quote=Doc,May 2 2005, 03:24 AM]

Voltaire said "Hell is other people."

[/quote]
Duh, without being touched by philosopy in any way, isn't that qoute from Sartre? :ph34r:
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Assur,May 1 2005, 10:44 PM Wrote:
Doc,May 2 2005, 03:24 AM Wrote:Voltaire said "Hell is other people."
Duh, without being touched by philosopy in any way, isn't that qoute from Sartre? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]75940[/snapback][/right]

D'OH! It is. I have commited the classic old Philosopher Blunder. I have grown old and cornfused from to much damn drinking.

My bad.

Been sober entirely to long.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Abramelin,May 1 2005, 06:35 PM Wrote:Eh , I haven't framed anything . The topic is open . It's about philosophy and not politics or economics . If it were , it would be a dead end topic because anyone could argue what Man wants or do is right instaed of who Man is/what is his place no matter what he wants .
You want to hijack and/or end the thread . You have no right to do so for you are not a mod or the owner of the site . If I wanted to do  in every thread what you did in mine , you wouldn't have said the same as you do here . Thus you are hypocrite for you only want to stop it .
This is an intolerant and narrow minded behaviour .
[right][snapback]75913[/snapback][/right]

Ghostiger has as much right to hijack this thread as any other. I don't think Bolty is going to waste a breath on this thread. He has already pointed out to you how things stand. Thread hijacking is an informal norm that is tolerated on this forum. Has been for about 5 years. I'd say it is an embedded norm, due to the Network 54 origins and threading schema of the original forums.

I explained the norm issue in the PM I sent you. You either have not read it, deleted it upon receipt, or read it and did not comprehend what I was trying to explain. Or, you read it and chose to remain blissfully ignorant. I have no idea which of the above is true, but the end result is that your comments here show that You Don't Get It.

Hint:

Rather than throw a fit, win with wit.

Or fart jokes, whatever works. :wacko:

Calling Ghostiger a hypocrite because he expresses his opinions that your post is half baked strikes me as a point missed. Score now stands at Ghostiger 2 Abramelin 0. Might want to change your game plan.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 1 2005, 11:40 PM Wrote:PS:  If you hijack a thread like this while on a wireless network at an airport, the Department of Homoland Security will have you locked down in a trice.
[right][snapback]75939[/snapback][/right]

Haha, was that typo intentional? :lol:
Conjugating the verb?!

Centurion: What is this then? Romanes eunt domus, "People called Romanes they go the house"?
Brian It-it says, "Romans, go home"!
Centurion: No, it doesn't! What's Latin for "Roman"? [grabs Brian's ear] Come on, come on!
Brian: Romanus!
Centurion: Goes like?
Brian: Annus!
Centurion: Vocative plural of annus is...?
Brian: Anni?
Centurion: [writes] Romani. And eunt? What is eunt?
Brian: "Go"! Let-
Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go".
Brian: Ire; eo, is, it, imus, itis, eunt!
Centurion: So eunt is...?
Brian: Third person plural, present indicative. "They go!"
Centurion: But "Romans, go home" is an order, so you must use the...?
Brian: The... imperative!
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: I!
Centurion: [twisting Brian's ear] How many Romans?
Brian: [yelling] I.. Plural, plural! Ite, ite!
Centurion: [writing] Ite. Domus? Nominative? But "go home", it is motion towards, isn't it, boy?
Brian: Dative, sir!
[The centurion promptly draws his swords and presses it against Brian's throat. Brian yells:]
No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! The... accusative, accusative! Domum, sir, ad domum!
Centurion: Except that domus takes the...?
Brian: The locative, sir!
Centurion: Which is?
Brian: Domum!
Centurion: [writing] Domum... -um [sheathing his sword] Understand?
[Brian nods eagerly]
Now, write it out a hundred times!
Brian: Yes, sir, thank you, sir! Hail Caesar!
Centurion: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off!
Brian: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Abramelin,May 1 2005, 06:56 PM Wrote:I have understood the so called joke . However , it doesn't make me laugh or even smile . You may be the only one to laugh for making fun of my thread , good job .
Your joke is incoherent , and above all it's a bad one . Good job for your ambiguous answer .
Let's get back to the topic .
Or do you want to hijack my thread again ?

Edit: I have corrected typos for english elitists ....
[right][snapback]75919[/snapback][/right]

Helpful hint.

There is a common internet slang term for what you refer to as "english elitists." That term is "Grammarian." I have been called a Grammarianism frequently, with some justification. Using commonly understood, even doctrinal terms, is oftern an aid to understanding. It also avoids unintentionally offering insult to some who may infer a different meaning due to your use of "elitist" which is a term loaded with adverse connotation.

There will be no charge for that hint, which was sponsored by the Admins for Apoplexy Association.

Occhi

PS: If the crowd is not laughing with you, they are probably laughing at you. :whistling:
In Memory of Pete
The world is not ours, this thread is not yours. You can't own either.

Ah... Allow me to pirate a thread and give me an internet cliche to steer her by.

All I need now is a first mate.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,May 1 2005, 10:31 PM Wrote:For mere Lurkers to presume to laugh at something as serious as the human condition is a pox upon the Holy Internet, where all discourse is brilliant, or would be required to be if King Abramelin were to ascend the Throne.
[right][snapback]75932[/snapback][/right]

Thank you Occhi, I've been wanting to use this one.

[Image: internetserious.jpg]
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Abramelin,May 1 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:Man was created among other animals . We are just one kind of animal among other ones . We didn't create this Earth . Thus we have no moral right to own it .
Besides , Man was created by Nature , we come from it . Thus we belong to it , we belong to a kind of family ( that is animal and vegetable kingdom ). You cannot both belong to a family  and own it . Either you own something or you belong to it .

It belongs to itself as a living entity . Nature is like a living being made of an infinity of living beings . It is what we call  "ecosystem" .

Animals don't have free will . They are not aware of their existence , I doubt that they can catch any concept of ownership of land .   They rather obey their will to live . Any animal will fight to stay alive , but not for the ground on which it stands .
[right][snapback]75909[/snapback][/right]

Such dizzying logic. "Throw her into the pond!" :whistling:

Quote:We didn't create this Earth, thus we have no moral right.
Fact or assertion? Show your work. You assertion does not follow, since Rights and Morals are human constructs, not natural occurences. They have been conceived and created in the mind of man. You are wandering in the land of circular logic.

As to your family model, you seem to ignore that in a family unit, tribe or clan, someone leads it: a father, a mother, a grandmother, a chieftan, or a council of elders.

Your either or finale is unsupported. It is also a false choice. I will go a step farther and point out to you that in human context, one can indeed own something and belong to it. Try a King. He rules/owns the Kingdom, and he belongs to it.

Do you see the trap you set for yourself? When you anthropomorhpise the non human, you set limits to how far your analogy can go, and you also, when you use little care in crafting your analogy, create castles made of sand. One wave and they are washed away.

Quote:It belongs to itself as a living entity.
Man belongs to Himself, as a living entity.
So, Man makes the rules? Nature makes the rules? Or do they both make rules within their own limitations, within their own frames of reference?

Who put nature in charge? Nature put itself in charge? Ok, Man put himself in charge. Who will win? (Now there's a question worth pondering.) How does nature stay in charge if challenged? Since you are already anthropomorhpsing Nature, how does nature withstand a challenge to authority? Hopefully by relying on something better than your line of argument.

?
Quote:Nature is like a living being made of an infinity of living beings. 
Yes, Luke, feel the Force. (A a cheap shot to go with your low budget philosophy.)

What else is Nature like? An uncontrolled biology experiment.

You have a homework assignment before you post again. Look up the term "territorial" within the context of animal behavior, particularly canines. Then, walk uninvited into the yard of any house that has a Doberman, Rotweiller, or Pit Bull as a watch dog. Even a Cocker Spaniel.

Quote:They rather obey their will to live . Any animal will fight to stay alive , but not for the ground on which it stands

You'll learn a thing or two about animals and the ground, the territory, they will fight for.

Occhi

EDIT/ I asked "Who is will win" which makes no sense whatever.
In Memory of Pete
WarLocke,May 1 2005, 10:24 PM Wrote:Thank you Occhi, I've been wanting to use this one.

[Image: internetserious.jpg]
[right][snapback]75950[/snapback][/right]

Just call me a patron of digital art.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Abramelin,May 1 2005, 06:37 PM Wrote:Why come here and troll ?
Isn't that against the rules ?
If you don't like my thread , stay out of it .
[right][snapback]75915[/snapback][/right]

It's not your thread. As you pointed out to another poster, you don't own this forum. You post a topic, it becomes community property. The owner, or his designated mod, can at any time assert ownership rights (hey, I am back on thread topic :D ) by taking control of the thread forcibly, via locking the thread or deleting posts. None of the rest of the Great Unwashed here at the Lounge, to include moi, can do that.

No indeed, this in most definitely NOT your thread. You started it, but can you end it?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
DeeBye,May 1 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:Haha, was that typo intentional?  :lol:
[right][snapback]75944[/snapback][/right]

Rogue pleads The Fifth. :whistling: Though I'd rather drink a fifth . . .

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hey...

I have been visciously MAULED by a Cocker Spaniel. Viscious nasty mean little kneebiters.

Several hundred stitches later, I gained a great deal of respect for Cockers. Very protective territorial little monsters.

My sweet little Charity is part Cocker. You even look at me funny and she will rip your balls off. She's so cute and sweet... She loves her Daddy. She's my little Shnooky Wookums... I :wub: her to pieces... She has these big brown eyes, floppy ears, and long eyelashes. And she has ratcheting lockjaw that she got somewhere from in her bloodline... Once she bites you, she has you. She's my little cuddlebug!
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 1 2005, 10:14 PM Wrote:The world is not ours, this thread is not yours. You can't own either.

Ah... Allow me to pirate a thread and give me an internet cliche to steer her by.

All I need now is a first mate.
[right][snapback]75949[/snapback][/right]

Arr harr, Cap'n Doc, I'll sign on as Bosun, but only if there lots of booty and lots of booty in the offing, if ye catch my meaning? :huh:

Ribald Rogue
In Memory of Pete