Merc stuck with 40 life
My US west expansion 1.10 sorc was run from act 1-5.

At the end of this run, she was still level 1 (stood in town mostly) and hired an act V barb merc (also level 1) for 9000 gcs.

This merc 'bohdan' is now level 8, my sorc is 11.

The mercs level up STR, DEX, resistances all read correctly, rising with each level up but the LIFE is stuck at 40.

What is wrong?

Should I just run my sorc up to 30, then re-hire a new barb?

Will I 'lose out' on stat points if I do this?

Ive heard it's best to get the merc when he is little, then his stats will be best in the late game (hell).
'Bohdan' , the merc starting with 40 life at level 1.
unobeef,May 1 2005, 09:31 AM Wrote:My US west expansion 1.10 sorc was run from act 1-5.

At the end of this run, she was still level 1 (stood in town mostly) and hired an act V barb merc (also level 1) for 9000 gcs.

This merc 'bohdan' is now level 8, my sorc is 11.

The mercs level up STR, DEX, resistances all read correctly, rising with each level up but the LIFE is stuck at 40.

What is wrong?

Should I just run my sorc up to 30, then re-hire a new barb?

Will I 'lose out' on stat points if I do this?

Ive heard it's best to get the merc when he is little, then his stats will be best in the late game (hell).
[right][snapback]75886[/snapback][/right]

It doesn't matter what level the merc is upon hiring. All that matters is what difficulty the merc was hired in. So all level X barbarian mercenaries hired in normal have identical stats, but they're better than a level X barbarian hired in nightmare or hell.

Barbarian mercs hired in normal have 40 life at levels 1-14. After that, the life will go up. You're not supposed to be in act 5 at that early level, anyways.
So, is there any reason to hire one below level 32?

I mean, will a hired barb at 32 have same stats as one hired at 15 then leveled to 32?

Thanks in advance
unobeef,May 1 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:So, is there any reason to hire one below level 32?

I mean, will a hired barb at 32 have same stats as one hired at 15 then leveled to 32?

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]75892[/snapback][/right]

I already answered that question.
As Adeyke said (and said he said), it does not matter at which level they were hired, all the matters is the difficulty. The only reason not to hire a mercenary in Normal is if you are getting an Act 2 NM mercenary for different auras, or you are too lazy to level up a mercenary.