Mods posting opinions on locked threads.
I dont really think its in the spirit of the LL for Mods to post opinions on locked threads but still keep them locked.

It would be reasonable if you just posted a short description of why the thread was locked. And it would be reasonable if you sent you opinions in a message to the original poster.

But to lock a thread after you post your in depth opinion or even to post after its locked does not seem to be in the spirit of a forum.
Ghostiger,Apr 30 2005, 09:30 AM Wrote:I dont really think its in the spirit of the LL for Mods to post opinions on locked threads but still keep them locked.

It would be reasonable if you just posted a short  description of why the thread was locked. And it would be reasonable if you sent you opinions in a message to the original poster.

But to lock a thread after you post your in depth opinion or even to post after its locked does not seem to be in the spirit of a forum.
[right][snapback]75781[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for your opinions. It would be reasonable also to have sent this in a PM. I gather you feel other posters might, or do, feel as you do.

It is Bolty's site, he can post wherever he bloody well pleases. How is Bolty posting on the Lounge a problem?

As I read it, Gris locked the thread and Bolty posted his comments as a coda. I don't think your taking exeption to this incredibly rare occurrence is a worthwhile complaint.

I dont' recall having seen any other Mod post on another Mod's lock, ever, but I am willing to believe it may have happened once or twice in five years.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 30 2005, 11:23 AM Wrote:It is Bolty's site, he can post wherever he bloody well pleases.
[right][snapback]75789[/snapback][/right]

I dont believe I disputed what he could do. Also hes actions were not the only ones addressed.

Any way. Its a suggestion that concerns the whole LL so I feel this the proper place to say it.
The thread may or may not have been needed, but it is here, so:

It was a really wierd thing to do, adding the post, as the same points had pretty much been made in other parts of the thread. There were a lot of wierd posts in that thread from people, who knows why, maybe some nerve got hit, or there's just things going on in their minds that they don't post. It was out of character in that the post was a lot like a power show, being in a locked thread, so no one can respond, and just repeated what was said before, so there wasn't any really good reasons to add it anyway, let alone in a locked thread.

Some of the somments in the thread about "g00d 4 u 2 c s0me1", were overblown. Considering the main poster has been in here for morethan a year, and pretty regularly gets involved, the complaints were almost certainly not about wanting to go "l33t", but more in the middle. If he was having trouble describing what he wanted to say after a few tries, than it makes sens that people wouldn't take the responses seriously, but some reactions seemed over and above that.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Lets not argue the substance of that thread.

I didnt make this thread here for that purpose.

I did make this thread because it seemed out of character for the lounge to have a thread where ideas and opinions were presented but could not be responded too.
I was rather surprised to have my thread locked . I did not troll or insult anyone .
It could have been useful to make things clearer .
I have noticed bad attitudes since I registered one year ago . Some of the members are full of arrogance/contempt/malice,often without any reason or for members that don't suit your standards. Why not talk about it ?
I was surprised again to have Bolty's post after having my thread locked . What a good example of censorship . That's incredible .
Ghostiger , I have sent you a reply . However it seems that it was lost or maybe I can't PM anymore...

Abramelin,Apr 30 2005, 12:21 PM Wrote:I was rather surprised to have my thread locked . I did not troll or insult anyone .
It could have been useful to make things clearer .
I have noticed bad attitudes since I registered one year ago . Some of the members are full of arrogance/contempt/malice,often without  any reason or for members that don't suit your standards. Why not talk about it ?
I was surprised again to have Bolty's post after having my thread locked . What a good example of censorship . That's incredible .
Ghostiger , I have sent you a reply . However it seems that it was lost  or maybe I can't PM anymore...
[right][snapback]75801[/snapback][/right]

Quit lying, Abramelin.

Your opening post was a troll. You were looking for a fight, looking to stir things up. You did. If you have not yet read the PM I sent you, I ask you to do so.

I, among others, bit on your troll. Shame on me for not having more self control. :wacko:

This discussion is, I am glad to see, a matter of members pointing out something they think is odd form. Why? Because, the general habit in the past has not been to enter further posts after a thread is locked. It is unusual, it earned comment.

Censorship? I wonder, again, if you have a clue as to the meanings of words that you use. Mods exist to moderate, to referee, and to keep from turning into dross, forum discussions. That task requires an exercise of judgment. Gris was smart to stop the furball that she saw coming after you trolled the Lounge. Bolty's message to you I will repeat in slightly different terms, since you appear not to have gotten the message.

If you don't like the Lounge, or the atmosphere here, there are other corners of the internet that you will probably enjoy more. Wander on over there, be happy. If you want to keep stirring the pot here, I'll be happy to rip you a new one. Keep the customer's satisfied, eh?

Ghostiger's concern is not about your whining BS. It was about "the spirit of the Lounge" and in his defense, I was a bit short in my reply to him.

My bad, Ghostiger.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, the thread in question was locked before Bolty ever saw it, so he didn't have a chance to reply to it before it was locked. If there are concerns about the way the admins run the forums, doesn't it make sense to hear from more admins? While we support each other's decisions, we are not the borg, and I know I appreciate hearing other admins' points of view.

I always post to a thread right before I lock it. I'm sorry if it seems like I am trying to get the last word in. Mostly I do that because I want to explain why I'm choosing to lock the thread. If I don't, then I get "why don't you explain why you do things" complaints. So, I don't see a way to address your concerns, Ghostiger, without causing additional concerns. I will try to keep this in mind as I am writing "thread locked" posts in the future.

Some of my silliness was probably not helpful. I was about to go to see The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so I was in a bit of a silly mood. I think we could all use a few Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, actually.

I mostly locked the thread in question because of the regulars. The original poster had stated his or her opinion in such a way that it was going to draw (more) flames and jokes, and that was not going to help the situation.

If we wanted to censor anybody's posts, we would be deleting them. There are quite a few sites that delete any and all "disgruntled" threads on sight. We don't do that. We're not perfect, I know that. But, I promise you that nobody here is sitting around trying to see how many fun ways we can abuse our admin powers. Most of us would rather just play games, you know?
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Abramelin,Apr 30 2005, 02:21 PM Wrote:I was surprised again to have Bolty's post after having my thread locked . What a good example of censorship . That's incredible .
[right][snapback]75801[/snapback][/right]

A couple of thoughts that I would like to throw your way. First I fail to see where Bolty censored anything you said. There is no evidence that your post was tampered with in anyway and you do him and Griselda a disservice to accuse them of doing so. Secondly the closing of the thread was explained by Griselda and is not a reflection of wrong doing on your part. Closing the thread also does not equal censorship.

Third and finally. This is a privately run forum. Bolty could ban all of us tomorrow and only allow posting from the admins and select regulars and it STILL would not equate to censorship.
Griselda,Apr 30 2005, 02:49 PM Wrote:But, I promise you that nobody here is sitting around trying to see how many fun ways we can abuse our admin powers.
[right][snapback]75806[/snapback][/right]

This is why I will never become an admin here. I would wreak absolute havok :shuriken:
Ghostiger has a point, and he's right. An admin should not post an opinion article on something after a thread is locked. A post that explains the reason for locking is all that's proper. The problem with the thread in question (this one, right?) is that when I posted my piece, I had no idea the thread was locked. I guess I just didn't notice it. In fact, I just came on the forums today wondering what responses I'd get to that post, only to find that the thread was locked! I was disappointed. :(

So anyhow, my apologies for my screwup and relatively-minor-but-still-there abuse of power. I will be more careful of that in the future.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense than the stuff in my post. Wouldn't have thought mods couls still post in locked threads, instead of ahving to unlock thread, post, and lock it again, which is what we were thinking I guess.

Was still a wierd thread before getting locked.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Apr 30 2005, 08:59 PM Wrote:Ah, that makes a lot more sense than the stuff in my post.  Wouldn't have thought mods couls still post in locked threads, instead of ahving to unlock thread, post, and lock it again, which is what we were thinking I guess.[right][snapback]75845[/snapback][/right]

It would be nice if mods got some kind of warning that it was a locked thread, but we don't. The post buttons and all other operations work just the same on a locked thread as a normal one if you have the privileges to post anyway.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.