About the Elitism of the Lurker's Lounge
I find it funny that you ( 'you' that is some mods and the big majority of the members of LL ) want to keep your elitism about the LL and especially your so called intellectual talk in the 'off topic' for a game which was originally created for young people/ mostly played by young people and not necessarily intellectual individuals.
You know what I mean , Pete made a thread about it a few months ago.

I can see a gap between the games for which you have dedicated a website , and your elitism/austerity, which makes me think that you look snobbish to my eyes (and I even thought about hypocrisy for some of you).
I couldn't even help smiling when reading some of the threads and posts made , esp in the off topic.
Elitism/rigorism is appropriate for websites that are dedicated to politics , economics , philosophy , etc.. however it is not , for games such as Diablo , Diablo 2 because it makes you be like snobbish people (and even hypocrites).
I am aware that some of you don't even care or don't want to hear it and that you wouldn't want to change your attitudes for you may be conceited/snobbish.

I have nothing personal against the website , I really like it . But I don't like the way you want to censor anybody that not suits your elitist standards and I don't like that snobbish/elitist attitude shown by some members.
If you want to insult/flame/make me banned/ban me , you are welcome , it is your website .
Somebody get this man a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
ya ppl u r rite bcuz we no need snobz heer an if i cn tlk lik ths in game y cant i tlk lik this on this brd?????????////////////// this isnt rockit sience so y do we kar how ppl tipe

i cant figgur owt y u mak ths thred...do u wnt to strt a flamwar??????????????////////////// u cn hav ur opinun but im nt sur wat u wil hlp wit postng ths...

wut do u wnt?

(Lurkers, please avoid descent into flame-fest 05 here. It wouldn't be helpful)
Great movie, made better by the fact that I have read the book.

Anyways:
[Image: jimmy.jpg]
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
What I want ?
Nothing special.
There's a happy medium for everything , including the Lurker's Lounge.
Not too high standards , and not low standards.I haven't suggested to accept the kind of talk that you have shown ( =caricature). Afterall , it is your website , do what you want.
You don't seem to remember for some of the members here that very young people or foreign people can read your website and post here , and that they don't necessarily have the standards that you require in the LL.

Won't you be -people of the Lounge -that mean to make fun of my thread in order to hijack it ?

Will you have the heart not to censor my posts (before banning me) ?
pakman,Apr 29 2005, 11:06 PM Wrote:Great movie, made better by the fact that I have read the book.

Anyways:
[Image: jimmy.jpg]
[right][snapback]75717[/snapback][/right]
Heh , I was expecting that kind of answer.

Warlocke!

I demand that you bring your friend Flicka! Don't make me come over there young man!

Elitism at the Lounge? Pshaw. Most of us here are rocket scientists. Or Ph.D.s. Or people with entirely to much free time. Or worse, are rocket scientists with Ph.D.s and way to much free time. We demand a higher standard. We do not tolerate idiots, morons, or dolts. We become irritated by their inane prattle. We have had it drilled into our little perfectionist skulls to be the best that we can be, and we get downright pissed if we see others failing to live up to their own personal potential. Most of us didn't get where we are today being some common dipstick. We got where we were by demanding more from our selves, and the world around us, than our common fellow man. It's not that we are better. That's not it at all. We hold our selves to a higher standard because we know we are capable of it. We lambaste the dimwitted because it is entertaining to do so.

It's not that we are elitist snobs. Well, some of us are. Let's not deny that. When I introduce my self as Doctor So-And-So, it's because I put a whole lot of work into making my self as such. All that work demands recognition. I am not the common Mister Whatsisname. Nor are we the common gamers. When we call our selves Lurkers, it's because we put an awful lot into what we do, and it demands recognition. We work hard, we play hard. And we don't want our good time spoiled by numbskulls and twits. If you come to our playground, we will hold you to the same standards that we hold our selves, and each other to. You must understand, this is our playground. You choose to be here. And by being here, you subject your self to this community's standards. This is our place to kick off our thinking caps and be our selves. And we can be very protective to preserve the environment that we have created here. This is a place of refuge online for many of us. Our home. Our Hydralisk Den, where we evolve our selves to be something a little bit better.

Now, about those Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, who's buying?
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even though we're not a "serious" site, we need to draw the line somewhere or every post would look like my previous one. Apparently, we disagree on where the line should be drawn.

I think that most established forums tend to get "howler" tendencies from time to time. That's something that we do need to keep in mind.

I'm still not sure how telling me I'm likely to censor your posts or ban you is going to help the Lounge move in a positive direction. It's certainly not going to discourage the "funny image in every thread" folks from having a field day here. That's why I was asking what you wanted. I doubt you have the best interests of the site at heart.

You don't strike me as a frood who really knows where his towel is.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Doc,Apr 29 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:Now, about those Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, who's buying?
[right][snapback]75723[/snapback][/right]

Eh, not really in the market for one at the moment Doc, though if you happen to a Babel Fish or two for sale I could take them off your hands...
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Of course you expected it. You mentioned it yourself, Pete's post a while ago. Why bring it up again? There is no reason to talk further on the issue.

With this post, I'm out of this topic, it's a pointless discussion.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Abramelin,Apr 29 2005, 04:54 PM Wrote:I find it funny that you ( 'you' that is some mods and the big majority of the members of LL ) want to keep your elitism about the LL  and especially your so called intellectual talk in the 'off topic' for a game which was originally created for young people/ mostly played by young people and not necessarily intellectual individuals.
You know what I mean , Pete made a thread about it a few months ago.

I can see a gap between the games for which you have dedicated a website , and your elitism/austerity, which makes me think that you look snobbish to my eyes (and I even thought about hypocrisy for some of you).
I  couldn't even help smiling when reading some of the threads and posts made , esp in the off topic.
Elitism/rigorism is appropriate for websites that are dedicated to politics , economics , philosophy , etc.. however it is not , for games such as Diablo , Diablo 2 because it makes you be like snobbish people (and even hypocrites).
I am aware that some of you don't even care or don't want to hear it and that you wouldn't want to change your attitudes for you may be conceited/snobbish.

I have nothing  personal against the website , I really like it . But I don't like the way you want to censor anybody that not suits your  elitist standards and I don't like that snobbish/elitist attitude shown by some members.
If you want to insult/flame/make me banned/ban me , you are welcome , it is your website .
[right][snapback]75714[/snapback][/right]

Thank you for dropping by to engage in a little name calling. Thank you also for attemptng to rule on what style is appropriate where, on what website, on the internet. What philistines, here at the Lounge, who do not hold your view on what belongs where, and how.

Who died and made you queen?

Occhi

PS. You came here trolling for a flame. I'd hate to leave a customer less than satisfied, but sadly I could not afford a deluxe, fur coated, diamond studded flame. A budget flame is all your credit can buy.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I think I was one of the first people to associate the Lurker Lounge with the word "elitism". If only I could make royalties off it! I was more than willing to agree with whatever I read in your post. But in this case, you really need to be a bit more clear about what you mean if you expect to have any impact. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Is it DeeBye's snobby movie reviews that are driving you over the edge?

I don't see a general appeal accomplishing anything. Perhaps it would work better to make your points in the specific threads that bother you the most, or discuss specific threads with moderators via email. Or you could at least give a specific example of what you are talking about so we have a slight clue.

P.S. Just kidding Dee, your movie reviews are an Inspiration to the Common Man. Not snobby at all.
Doc,Apr 29 2005, 06:32 PM Wrote:Warlocke!

I demand that you bring your friend Flicka! Don't make me come over there young man!

Flicka? Not sure what you mean there, Doc.

That said, though, while reading the OP I had the most amazing urge:

[Image: ahnoldshutup.jpg]
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Doc,Apr 29 2005, 11:32 PM Wrote:Warlocke!

Elitism at the Lounge? Pshaw. Most of us here are rocket scientists. Or Ph.D.s. Or people with entirely to much free time. Or worse, are rocket scientists with Ph.D.s and way to much free time. We demand a higher standard. We do not tolerate idiots, morons, or dolts. We become irritated by their inane prattle. We have had it drilled into our little perfectionist skulls to be the best that we can be, and we get downright pissed if we see others failing to live up to their own personal potential. Most of us didn't get where we are today being some common dipstick. We got where we were by demanding more from our selves, and the world around us, than our common fellow man. It's not that we are better. That's not it at all. We hold our selves to a higher standard because we know we are capable of it. We lambaste the dimwitted because it is entertaining to do so.

It's not that we are elitist snobs. Well, some of us are. Let's not deny that. When I introduce my self as Doctor So-And-So, it's because I put a whole lot of work into making my self as such. All that work demands recognition. I am not the common Mister Whatsisname. Nor are we the common gamers. When we call our selves Lurkers, it's because we put an awful lot into what we do, and it demands recognition. We work hard, we play hard. And we don't want our good time spoiled by numbskulls and twits. If you come to our playground, we will hold you to the same standards that we hold our selves, and each other to. You must understand, this is our playground. You choose to be here. And by being here, you subject your self to this community's standards. This is our place to kick off our thinking caps and be our selves. And we can be very protective to preserve the environment that we have created here. This is a place of refuge online for many of us. Our home. Our Hydralisk Den, where we evolve our selves to be something a little bit better.

Now, about those Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters, who's buying?
If this website is meant for elitist people , then why not select the people before registering ?
When registering, ask them what they do as a living , ask them their age (for instance , "you are not allowed to register below 18 years old" ) , ask them their level of education ,etc...
By not selecting people when registering as a member , you imply that you can accept any people , but not necessarily the worst people of the internet , let's not exaggerate.
When someone doesn't suit your standards , you let this member know that you don't like his talk/standards. You should warn people when registering , that's where lies your hypocrisy. People are not always aware of the standards that you require here when they register.
As for elitist talk in this forum,do I read it here ? I don't. However you claim that you are elitists , that you have high intellectual standerds but you don't bring elitist topics. Do you talk about maths ? No. Do you talk about nature/environment ? No. Do you talk about philosophy ? No, and even if you do , you quickly hijack the topic or make fun of it . I made some . All I got is trolling , or quick answers , incoherent posts . Is it that that you call elitism ? You are elitists for english , but you are not elitists for the topics and the answers that you post.

Besides , if you only want to keep elitist people , I advise you to make your own website with a selection when registering and a password that allows only registered members to access the website.That would meet your expectations.Some websites do it , you know. And if you are that smart, making one is within your means.
By the way , I have a higher education but I don't boast .That doesn't prevent me from respecting and enjoying the posts of the people who don't have my standards/ideas.

PS: I corrected some typos for the elitists of english .
WarLocke,Apr 29 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:Flicka?  Not sure what you mean there, Doc.

That said, though, while reading the OP I had the most amazing urge:

[Image: ahnoldshutup.jpg]
[right][snapback]75737[/snapback][/right]

Damnit! Kids today.

Grrr.

My Friend Flicka. Clicka!

What the hell is wrong with you kids today anyway? You mean to tell me you don't know who Flicka is? **Slaps forehead**

Of course, your Flicka has seen better days...

**Goes away grumbling**
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 29 2005, 07:37 PM Wrote:What the hell is wrong with you kids today anyway? You mean to tell me you don't know who Flicka is? **Slaps forehead**

Of course, your Flicka has seen better days...

**Goes away grumbling**
[right][snapback]75739[/snapback][/right]

Oh, right. Well, Flicka's been pulled out just recently, and I'm hesitant to omage-link it (as this thread really deserves). So, to the OP:

[Image: deadbeaver.jpg]

Also, consolation bonus action!

[Image: explicitstupid.gif]

[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Abramelin,Apr 29 2005, 07:35 PM Wrote:If this website is meant for elitist people , then why not select the people before registering  ?
When registering, ask them what they do as a living , ask  them their age (for instance , "you are not allowed to register below 18 years old" ) , ask them their level of education ,etc...
By not selecting people when registering as a member , you imply that you can accept any people , but  not necessarily the worst people of the internet , let's not exaggerate.
When someone doesn't suit your standards , you let this member know that  you don't like his talk/standards. You should warn people when registering , that's where lies your hypocrisy. People are not always aware of the standards that you require here when they register.
As for elitist talk in this forum,do I read it here ? I don't.  However you claim that you are elitists , that you have high intellectual standerds but you don't bring elitist topics. Do you talk about maths ? No. Do you talk about nature/environment ? No. Do you talk about philosophy ? No, and even if you do , you quickly hijack the topic or make fun of it . I made some . All I got is trolling , or quick answers , incoherent posts . Is that what you so called elitism ? You are elitists for english , but you are not elitists for the topics and the answers that you post.

Besides , if you only want to keep elitsist people , I avise you to make your own website with a selection when registering and a password that allows only registered members to access the website.That would meet your expectations.Some websites do it , you know. And if you are that smart, making one is within your  means.
By the way , I have a higher education but I don't boast .That doesn't prevent me from respecting and enjoying the  posts of the people who don't have my standards/ideas.
[right][snapback]75738[/snapback][/right]

Math? We have that covered. Yep, lots of that in the past. Nature? Environment? Those to. LOTS of bloody noses over those. Philosophy? We get that too. We play a deadly game called "Moral Combat!" You prove you are right the only way it matters. Just watch Pete pull a "Plato Piledriver" some time. Or watch my "Socratic Combatic Method." Watch Occhi pull a "Nietzsche Noogie." Shadow has been known to enter the fray and apply a "Hegel 'hurt so much' Headlock." (Occasionally on me! Ow) We hold our punches back most of the time out of consideration for each other. We are friends. But we have been known to tweak each other's noses out of boredom.

You don't see some of those threads because they got locked, erased, or lost in the sands of time. I would rather see Cthulhu rise up out of the ocean than see some of these threads ever see the light of day again.

And if you see a political thread on the Lounge, FLEE! There will be carnage.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
If people don't take the time to read through a few posts before registering, I hardly think they'll read any pre-registration warning we could put up.

We are not a guild, nor do we want to be a guild, and that's why we don't hand-select members.

I hate to resort to this, but if you dislike the forums so much, why are you reading them? You are more than welcome to read the site and ignore the forums if you find them offensive.

I can't see that this thread is going anywhere, so I am going to lock it. You are welcome to think I'm doing this to "keep you down" or "be elitist" or whatever, but I think you've had every opportunity you need to make your point.

There are constructive ways to go about addressing your concerns (Pete's post I thought was a great example of this), but this thread is not one of them.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
I love these threads.

Anyhow, it's time to toss down Bolty's Elitist Thought of the Day:

I've been on the Internet over 10 years now, and I've learned quite a few things about it. One of them is that there's a site out there for everyone. No matter what your interests, whether it be World of Warcraft or Women Pulled Over by Cops Fetish Porn (thanks, SomethingAwful), you will be able to find it. Somewhere, you will fit in.

That being said, the Internet is also full of people who try desperately to fit in somewhere that they don't. The proverbial square peg in a round hole thing. They will try, of course, but in the end discover that for whatever reason, they're not "in" to the culture of the website. Maybe they find that the posters' demands for fairly proper English usage in postings is unreasonable and snobbish, or that Women Pulled Over by Cops Fetish Porn just isn't as good as Women Running Out of Burning Buildings Fetish Porn. So, instead of moving on to another site that lest peepl tpye lik ths becus its kewl lol!!!!one, they instead bang their heads against the wall trying to turn their current watering hole into something that fits their world view.

Perhaps this is a psychological thing, in that they may see themselves as failures for not having fit into the group that they chose. Being unable to accept what they perceive as a failure (even if it's not, they may perceive it as such), they'll lash out against it.

The Lurker Lounge is a round hole. You're a square peg. There's nothing inherently wrong with being a square peg, except that you'll never fit in here. If it bothers you, it shouldn't. You'd be surprised at how jagged the round hole is at the edges, though, even if the center is well-defined. This is because the people who come here came here for very similar reasons that I helped shape in the beginning, but after that those people then carved things out for themselves. This is my watering hole simply because I played such a huge role in building its center, a center shared by just about everyone here. It's at the edges that you find all the fun and interesting things, or else we'd never have much discussion here except "I agree, original poster" or "well said, original poster."

You should find a place where the hole fits your peg. You'll be a lot happier. Just my advice; take it or leave it. There have been many square pegs here over the years, and just as with every other website on the Internet, the square pegs never get to reshape that hole.

Another solution is to make your own hole, like I did. It's a lot of work, yes, but that way you get something that always fits your peg. Roughly. :)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.