Gamer girls revived?
When I first came to the world of games it was often that I would be the only girl in the game store going to retrieve my precious RPGs... And I knew of only one other girl that was interested in the same things I was. But of course with each and every release it seems more girls are stepping into the light and declaring "so what if I like video games?"
Has anyone else noticed the increase, since I certainly have.
[center][Image: anfertline.gif]
DeviantArt ~*~ SheezyArt ~*~ LiveJournal [/center]
DastardlyStar,Jul 12 2005, 02:29 PM Wrote:When I first came to the world of games it was often that I would be the only girl in the game store going to retrieve my precious RPGs... And I knew of only one other girl that was interested in the same things I was. But of course with each and every release it seems more girls are stepping into the light and declaring "so what if I like video games?"
[right][snapback]83281[/snapback][/right]

Most of my friends through high school that happened to be girls were into games, and mostly of the RPing variety. Now, most of them are emo and into writing poetry and songs (very crappy poetry and songs) about how sad they are, which makes me sad and angry.

ē·mo kids, n. Upper to middle class white kids who have nothing better to do with their day than whine and complain about the things that have never, and will never happen to them. Can be seen clogging up cafes and breathing my air.

Note: Not all emo kids annoy me, just most.
DastardlyStar,Jul 12 2005, 11:29 AM Wrote:When I first came to the world of games it was often that I would be the only girl in the game store going to retrieve my precious RPGs... And I knew of only one other girl that was interested in the same things I was. But of course with each and every release it seems more girls are stepping into the light and declaring "so what if I like video games?"

I've known many female gamers. I prefer to play MP games with them, as they are usually more ethical about it. I HATE talking about games with them IRL (usually, not always), as they typically assume they know all about the game, and when given advice they obviously did not know, rather than listening, just say they know it, done.

Still, I haven't noticed any serious increase, just a variance in the type of game played away from the Sims and Civ style games into more violence based games.

**Edit: BTW, I have been known on the rare occasion to ignore advice on a game. Usually, however, if I know the person has experience playing the game, I will at least listen first, as I may just learn something that will make me much better.
Pesmerga,Jul 12 2005, 01:01 PM Wrote:ē·mo kids, n.  Upper to middle class white kids who have nothing better to do with their day than whine and complain about the things that have never, and will never happen to them.  Can be seen clogging up cafes and breathing my air.

Note: Not all emo kids annoy me, just most.
[right][snapback]83289[/snapback][/right]

:D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t:

I know depression is a real problem; many of us feel down in some point in our lives and some suffer from real problems. But some of these people you describe sometimes think they are special or cool by following the popular trend of whinning. It's so fake at times, almost attention whoring!

In the dark
full of despair
beyond the gloomy park
Sadness!
I just want to scream
because I have no ice cream
I think I'll end the sadness here
end this sorry excuse for a life
(But i'll never actualy do it, even though I talk about it so much)
the pain comes near
like a knife
I can't bear this world
I just want to hurl
when I see
Good people (like me) trapped
while the mean ones get all the good crap
Despair!
Gloomy!
(Archon: Wait, I'm going to dictionary.com for more synonyms)
Desolate!
Doomed!
I am confused
Does anyone want to hear me? (Archon:No)
Or is my loneiness destiny?
Life is pointless
That pretty girl down the street
saw me and didn't greet
she went with some cool dude
who came from the hood
Why are people so shallow?
Why can't they see me for who I am? (also very shallow)
Ahhhh it feels so hollow!
I am special
but nobody cares about my vessel
of creativity
On my xanga this will go
across the lands my thoughts will blow.

Bleh, I swear they use some kind of cookbook, or perhaps build order to write their poems. Ridicilously shallow and devoid of emotion. There are people that are geuine but those are few and far in between.

Oh yea, I sometimes think like that :blush: I wasn't a teenager that long ago.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
DastardlyStar,Jul 12 2005, 12:29 PM Wrote:When I first came to the world of games it was often that I would be the only girl in the game store going to retrieve my precious RPGs... And I knew of only one other girl that was interested in the same things I was. But of course with each and every release it seems more girls are stepping into the light and declaring "so what if I like video games?"

Is it a social shift, or a marketing shift (i.e. games are designed to appeal to women much more now)?

I think the multiplayer social aspects of games now have broadened the appeal of games, not only to women, but to a wider range of personalities and backgrounds.

But I did see quite a few girls in line to buy WoW back on Nov. 23rd...
vor_lord,Jul 12 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:Is it a social shift, or a marketing shift (i.e. games are designed to appeal to women much more now)?

I think the multiplayer social aspects of games now have broadened the appeal of games, not only to women, but to a wider range of personalities and backgrounds.

[right][snapback]83302[/snapback][/right]

I think a lot of girls play video games, from my experience. It's just that the sterotypical gamer is a teenage male. It's just like how there are a lot of adults that play video games.

Of course, the reaction that some female gamers get can be annoying. Go on battle.net, and say you are female. :angry:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Jul 12 2005, 01:42 PM Wrote:Of course, the reaction that some female gamers get can be annoying. Go on battle.net, and say you are female.  :angry:
[right][snapback]83304[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. With the ability to avoid face to face contact over the internet language, manners, and basic civility can become a rare commodity.

I know several women that play video games and a few of them attempt to avoid raising the issue of gender at all costs. I have also known a few males to pretend to be female to create quite a stir. :angry:

The stigma attached to women, and men for that matter, that like to play video games and RPGs is not as acerbic as it used to be. It is a welcome change to the stereotype of the gamer.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Archon_Wing,Jul 12 2005, 03:35 PM Wrote:I know depression is a real problem; many of us feel down in some point in our lives and some suffer from real problems. But some of these people you describe sometimes think they are special or cool by following the popular trend of whinning. It's so fake at times, almost attention whoring!
[right][snapback]83301[/snapback][/right]

I see these people sometimes too, who whine about things. My natural reaction is to sit through it, get good grades, and instead of whining hopefully do some things better and end up better off in life.

The poem actually describes what I see when I read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet. That's what a lot of the main characters seemed to do instead of doing something about the issues in their stories.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
jahcs,Jul 12 2005, 05:04 PM Wrote:Agreed.  With the ability to avoid face to face contact over the internet language, manners, and basic civility can become a rare commodity.

I know several women that play video games and a few of them attempt to avoid raising the issue of gender at all costs.  I have also known a few males to pretend to be female to create quite a stir. :angry:

The stigma attached to women, and men for that matter, that like to play video games and RPGs is not as acerbic as it used to be.  It is a welcome change to the stereotype of the gamer.
[right][snapback]83309[/snapback][/right]

The "lack of face contact" may also be how females got into a non-female stereotypical thing to do. Something such as clothes or talking style gets seen around other people, some of who can push a stereotype faster, while computer games are done at home. Or maybe not, some other people would have to flesh out this idea.

I haven't ever really looked at forums and such until a few years ago, and usually go in expecting stereotypes to be wrong in some way, so have always seen a lot of females that play. I haven't talked to people in school much about it, so don't know there. Both my parents have tried a few times with some games, and neither could understand them, so that didn't really say anything.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
vor_lord,Jul 12 2005, 03:38 PM Wrote:Is it a social shift, or a marketing shift (i.e. games are designed to appeal to women much more now)?

[right][snapback]83302[/snapback][/right]

It might just be a marketing shift... Comics used to be just for boys as a majority, then Japan ships over Manga and low and behold it's the girls filling the comic books stores now. (And also complaining about the awful smell of B.O. that lingers from a few of the nerds that were there prior to... lol)
[center][Image: anfertline.gif]
DeviantArt ~*~ SheezyArt ~*~ LiveJournal [/center]
DastardlyStar,Jul 12 2005, 07:52 PM Wrote:*<SNIP>*
(And also complaining about the awful smell of B.O. that lingers from a few of the nerds that were there prior to... lol)
[right][snapback]83329[/snapback][/right]

That was the worst part about being into tabletop RPGs when I was younger. Going to visit the hobby store and wondering why so many folks involved in the activity had poor hygiene. :wacko:
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Archon_Wing,Jul 12 2005, 05:42 PM Wrote:....
It's just like how there are a lot of adults that play video games.
[right][snapback]83304[/snapback][/right]

How dare you call me that?

I got mid way through a long-winded reply to this, but realized that it's not worth it. Here instead is a shorter version.

It seems to me that the increase in the age range of the gaming audience is mostly linked to a number of folks who were interested as part of the core audience, and remained interested through the ageing process, although there are many examples here in the lounge to the contrary, as I'm sure folks like Doc, DeeBye, ShadowHM, and others did not get into games when they were teen-agers. The expansion into the female populace is not something I can speak to because A: I'm not female; B: I don't have any close female friends intersted in gaming; which adds up to, others are better qualified to comment.

Lastly, I think the increase in the number of gamers is also related to the decrease in the number of readers. Fewer folks read for pleasure now, some because they have less free time, most because they seek other sources of entertainment. Whether it's cable or satelite tv, internet surfing, or PC/console gaming, this entertainment seems to be primarily electronic in nature. Regardless, the thing that still annoys me is the cadre of people who trumpet electronic gaming as the root of social apocalypse. I agree that certain lines shouldn't be crossed, but there are a lot of valuable lessons that can be learned from games. For example: if you ever find yourself about to embark on an infiltration mission alone, against superior numbers, stealth and planning are your best weapons, and if you need to kill someone, for the love of _deity_, don't leave the body in plain sight. :shuriken:
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jeunemaitre,Jul 13 2005, 02:48 PM Wrote:I agree that certain lines shouldn't be crossed, but there are a lot of valuable lessons that can be learned from games.&nbsp;
[right][snapback]83384[/snapback][/right]

Actually, this may have been true somewhat for me: In computer games, if the character isn't good ebnougfh, it isn't good enough, and no whining or complaining is going to change that. Plus they give me something to take apart, think of new ideas for, and learn about, so do give my brain something to do.

DastardlyStar,Jul 12 2005, 02:29 PM Wrote:When I first came to the world of games it was often that I would be the only girl in the game store going to retrieve my precious RPGs... And I knew of only one other girl that was interested in the same things I was. But of course with each and every release it seems more girls are stepping into the light and declaring "so what if I like video games?"

I know very few female gamers, so few infact I am drawing a blank at naming just 1 gamer I know who is female. Certaintly I've known a few from the lurkerlounge (after much thought I remembered Wolfgoat, a good friend of mine on the forums), but that is about it.

But, between school and work I don't spend much time playing video games online anymore, so my opinion may be a bit null and void.

Cheers,

Munk
I "know" very few of either.

In real life the people I work with and the people I do leisure activities arent into games, other than some PlayStation. All the gamers I know, I know virtually.

I have a pretty good idea who is and isnt a female IRL, but its hard to be sure, so I dont worry about it too much unless they really try and draw attention to their sex.