Why is this Post labeled Spam ?
Hi,

What rule of thumb does LL use for judging a Post "SPAM"...Forum Rules for "Spam" Where ?

Quote:Follow common, known Internet posting etiquette.

Frankly, we could write a thousand rules about basic common sense internet etiquette, such as "don't type in all caps." Instead of that, we'll just say that you should use your brain and follow the basic rules of Internet posting. If you're not very familiar with basic etiquette or are new to the Internet, we recommend that you simply read the forum for a while before making your first post. That's always a good rule of thumb before you dive into any online community, yet it's rarely followed. The Lounge posters have our own small subculture like all good fansites, and it won't take long to pick up on the nuances. Enjoy your stay here!

The link offered was for a "FREE" Game...I as well as many others here at LL have posted Links to Free games...WHAT makes the deleted post any Different ?

Quote:It's called Ultimate Dominion and it's a browserbased RPG/Strategy game in which you can grow your character stronger, kick other peoples ass, join a clan in a quest for world domination and participate in arena battles for glory from time to time. If you need help to get started I suggest reading the helpfiles first and if they don't help you can always use the chat to communicate with the other players.

Come and join the fun!

A post for Guild Wars with a link would be Spam, this Game is Not FREE.

ps: I will buy GW :P

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
King Jim,Apr 26 2005, 02:08 PM Wrote:Hi,

What rule of thumb does LL use for judging a Post "SPAM"...Forum Rules for "Spam" Where ?
The link offered was for a "FREE" Game...I as well as many others here at LL have posted Links to Free games...WHAT makes the deleted post any Different ?
[right][snapback]75291[/snapback][/right]

It wasn't that he mentioned his free game, that's perfectly fine I think.

BUT, the link he posted was a referral - he was using us to get points/votes or whatever for his site. That's not kosher, I gather.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
King Jim,Apr 26 2005, 01:08 PM Wrote:Hi,

A post for Guild Wars with a link would be Spam, this Game is Not FREE.

ps: I will buy GW  :P
[right][snapback]75291[/snapback][/right]

King Jim.

This matter would have been better handled by sending an admin or a mod an email. Note also that the post in question was a solicitation by a "just signed up, first post" entry. If it smells like a rotten egg, it's not a peach. ;)

EDIT: OK, it was a second post. Oops.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 26 2005, 02:23 PM Wrote:This matter would have been better handled by sending an admin or a mod an email.  Note also that the post in question was a solicitation by a "just signed up, first post" entry.  If it smells like a rotten egg, it's not a peach.  ;)[right][snapback]75294[/snapback][/right]
Jim,

As Occhi wrote, a PM is fine in this case. But as 'Locke also pointed out, this poster had a whopping 2 posts in this fine forum, and both were referral-link ads to a game. This was not someone trying to be nice by pointing out something "cool" they found, it was a jerk trolling for referral credits.

Since last I checked, none of us admins are Insane Tyrants™ (ok, except for me), we're doing our job, ok?

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Apr 26 2005, 03:02 PM Wrote:none of us admins are Insane Tyrants™ (ok, except for me)
[right][snapback]75296[/snapback][/right]

[Image: redcat.jpg]
[Image: mpw00490.jpg]
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
And now my crappy 5-minute PS to make all you look better by comparison:

[Image: jimmy.jpg]
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Bolty,Apr 26 2005, 03:02 PM Wrote:Jim,

Since I last  checked, none of us admins are Insane Tyrants™ (ok, except for me), we're doing our job, ok?

-Bolty
[right][snapback]75296[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

OK !!! :wub: Both points are well taken, I could have e-mailed ADMIN, however I am Not questioning your Right to delete a post...I'm asking where is the rule dealing with Spam so that I, as well as Others, can determine IF the post we are about to submit it is SPAM ?

ALL gaming sites that offer FREE or Buy here require registration/sign-up. Which will take you beyond Home page. This site had a Home page with News & Updates, if you wanted to go beyond that Point your needed to register. It was on page #2 that the solicitation appeared.

I've been to sites with "VOTE For My Site" solicitation, I find this a Minor detail in order to take advantage of a FREE offer such as this.

King Jim,

Even clicking the link that was in the original post would give "points" to that poster for referring you, as there was a referral number in the link itself. The person who posted the link probably doesn't care if you sign up or not, just that you click the link to win points.

If you're not signing up to get points by sending Lurkers to some gaming site, you're probably OK.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
pakman,Apr 26 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:And now my crappy 5-minute PS to make all you look better by comparison:
[right][snapback]75317[/snapback][/right]

I have an altogether indecent urge to link my dead horse 'shop. But I don't think I should considering the reaction it got the first time.

And to the OP:

[Image: brokeinternet.jpg]
Hi,

OK !!! :wub: ALL 3 points are well taken. I'm just asking where is the Rule dealing with Spam so that I, as well as Others both members non-members can determine "IF" the post we are about to submit is SPAM ?

I'm not asking for you to write a 10 point FAQ just for Spam, just a simple one if possible...IF Not I can live with that :D

Many times we find a site offering something we "Think" would be of interest to this Fine Gaming community here at LL...I'm NOT trying to be difficult, just looking for an Answer to my original Question :w00t: ahhhhhhh

King Jim,Apr 26 2005, 11:23 PM Wrote:I'm just asking where is the Rule dealing with Spam so that I, as well as Others both members non-members can determine "IF" the post we are about to submit is SPAM ?
[right][snapback]75340[/snapback][/right]

I don't see why you are having trouble with this.
DeeBye,Apr 26 2005, 09:36 PM Wrote:I don't see why you are having trouble with this.
[right][snapback]75343[/snapback][/right]

Can we put this to rest? I suggest this thread be locked, we are past any value added. Jimmy the Dead Horse has made his re appearance. :D He is welcomed back into the fold.

King Jim asked, Bolty answered, I'd say the matter is closed. It boils down to mod and admin judgment, which has been held to a very high standard on this forum for about four years. Or so.

Enough. (This, from an inveterate "pound it into dust" sort.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 26 2005, 10:39 PM Wrote:Enough.  (This, from an inveterate "pound it into dust" sort.)
[right][snapback]75344[/snapback][/right]

[Image: endthread.gif]

EDIT: Darn you, transparencies! :angry:
WarLocke,Apr 27 2005, 12:34 AM Wrote:EDIT:  Darn you, transparencies!  :angry:
[right][snapback]75350[/snapback][/right]

try this

[Image: eot4mb.gif]
QUICK Warlocke, before it's locked, post your dead horsie picture!!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Nothing to loose, thread is being locked anyway.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 26 2005, 11:52 PM Wrote:QUICK Warlocke, before it's locked, post your dead horsie picture!!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Nothing to loose, thread is being locked anyway.
[right][snapback]75352[/snapback][/right]

What, this one?

(I take no responsibility for the results of anyone clicking that link)
Hey, why is that undead mount lying down?
HaxXor!!
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
Nonsense, Warlocke. That's the most false, terminologically inexact, lying, scheming, incorrect testimony I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. You are insane. But you don't have to take my word for it.
[Image: crazymouse.png]
Jim, I believe referral links are counted as spam. The poster of such links is generally not giving the links to share a cool site they found, but to just get points from you clicking.

So posting http://www.thisisacoolsite.com would not be spam (generally), while http://www.thisisacoolsite.com/refer/cod...44mdk.html would be (especially if it is the only thing a person has ever used the account for).