Mount & Blade
http://taleworlds.com/index.html

Mount & Blade is a Morrowind-style medieval RPG combat game. There is no magic, no elves, and no Enchanted Codpiece of Magic Missile +4. It's a straight-up melee combat game using medieval weapons like lances, swords, and bows.

It's an independant game in an initial beta stage. Apparently it's the work of a husband/wife team. These people have done an incredible job. You can try it out by downloading the demo. The demo restricts you by only allowing you to reach level 6, but it gives you a good idea of what it's all about. If you wish to purchase it, you can buy a serial number for $10. The price goes up to $25 when it goes retail, but the demo serial number will work for any future releases.

The game-style is very open. Like Morrowind, you can travel from town to town and do little quests. You can make money by buying low-priced goods from one town and reselling them in another town. There are combat arenas where you can join team battles of 2vs2, 3vs3, or whatever. There are no plans for multiplayer, so your allies and enemies are computer-controlled.

Screenshots! These were taken at 1024x768 resolution and squished down to 600x450. This game looks absolutely fabulous and doesn't need great hardware to run well.
[Image: mb15cq.jpg]
[Image: mb29ah.jpg]
[Image: mb38wz.jpg]
[Image: mb57nb.jpg]
[Image: mb65mp.jpg]

edit: Here's a fan-made Windows Media video about Mount & Blade. It's heavily compressed, but it shows off the battle style pretty accurately.
http://the-inquisition.com/Mount&BladeTribute.wmv (11MB)
This looks pretty neat, I am going to check it out and post my thoughts! Thanks Dee
WWBBD?
I liked the combat system. Right click for block/parry and left for attack. Simple but involved enough so that skill helps you out. However there is no strafe movement and I have major movement problems when I can't strafe in a game, especially one with this style of combat. If you could get the enemy in a corner that AI had no idea how to get them out, even if the opponent had a shield on they simply wouldn't try to defend and you could quick attack them to death easily.

I never really got out of the training area, it was just a quick look see, but the interface would get to me if I tried to seriously play the game I think. Some neat concepts, simple but effective with a fair bit of it too.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
DeeBye,Apr 24 2005, 09:09 PM Wrote:Mount & Blade is a Morrowind-style medieval RPG combat game.  There is no magic, no elves, and no Enchanted Codpiece of Magic Missile +4.  It's a straight-up melee combat game using medieval weapons like lances, swords, and bows.
[right][snapback]75002[/snapback][/right]

[Image: internetcommunity.jpg]

I saw this over on the other forum, but an endorsement by you indicates that I may need to try it out. :whistling:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]