The bloating of the PC/Console game store
Game Stop Weds EB

Does this really matter?

Guild Wars is establishing, I think, a bridgehead in the land of "it's all online, even buying the game. Who needs a damned disc?" Didn't Half Life 2 do something like that as well, with their Steam download schme? Or do I have that wrong?

Do any of you think that it matter that two game store chains have merged?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, it somewhat doesn't matter since they've both been basically the same store for quite a while now, just look at the daily deals they both offer.

At the same time though, they've been each others biggest competition: having pricing wars as well as different pricings for used games that have been good for gamers.

Since you brought up Guild Wars, I wonder if this now means that you'll get both preorder items from EB/Gamestop now.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
In response to Occhi, yes, Half-Life 2 was distributed on Steam... Unfortunately, putting it in as few words as possible - Steam sucked. Big time.

As for the Guild Wars bit, since your pre-order item is activated by punching in your pre-order key (Which you have already received), you'll be getting the item that you were told you would get back when you pre-ordered.

And, yes, Arena.net does want to cut the middle man, and sell expansions on-line - however, they will also be available at stores.
Occhidiangela,Apr 23 2005, 08:59 PM Wrote:Guild Wars is establishing, I think, a bridgehead in the land of "it's all online, even buying the game.  Who needs a damned disc?"  Didn't Half Life 2 do something like that as well, with their Steam download schme?  Or do I have that wrong?
[right][snapback]74919[/snapback][/right]

On the one hand, this whole 'sell it over teh intarweb' scheme is good because it means I can actually get a game if/when I want it. The Babbages in my local mall has been slowly but surely shrinking its PC section in order to cram more console crap into the store, and I can easily see a day when they eliminate their PC section entirely.

On the other hand, what happens if I buy a game online and then have to reformat? Or my hard drive just dies? Having a physical disk with the data is a nice thing, too. Argh. :(
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Apr 24 2005, 02:38 AM Wrote:On the other hand, what happens if I buy a game online and then have to reformat?  Or my hard drive just dies?  Having a physical disk with the data is a nice thing, too.  Argh.  :(
[right][snapback]74923[/snapback][/right]

The concept is that you can download it again, and activate it through the key that you wrote down in a safe place, or through your account, in the case of Guild Wars/Half-Life 2.
Occhidiangela,Apr 23 2005, 06:59 PM Wrote:Game Stop Weds EB

Does this really matter?

Guild Wars is establishing, I think, a bridgehead in the land of "it's all online, even buying the game.  Who needs a damned disc?"  Didn't Half Life 2 do something like that as well, with their Steam download schme?  Or do I have that wrong?

Do any of you think that it matter that two game store chains have merged?

Occhi
[right][snapback]74919[/snapback][/right]

Occhi, Guild Wars - worth getting or not? Since I just bought a new machine, I never got the chance to play the Beta.

tia

-A
I personally think the whole "games over the internet" thing is a bad idea. Yes, I know it attempts to stop pirating and other issues. What about for people that don't have an broadband or cable connection, though? Personally, when I go home over the summer and on Christmas break, I go back to dial-up. Why? We have no need for high speed internet at home. Steam is horrible, the concept is there, but the implementation is a disaster. If I had been at home and installed HL2, I would not have been able to play it because of the validation over the internet issue.

Besides, I don't go to EB or Gamestop, every time I go in there, all I see is console games. I'm not a huge fan of consoles, so I don't really care who takes over whom.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Apr 24 2005, 12:42 PM Wrote:I personally think the whole "games over the internet" thing is a bad idea. Yes, I know it attempts to stop pirating and other issues. What about for people that don't have an broadband or cable connection, though? Personally, when I go home over the summer and on Christmas break, I go back to dial-up. Why? We have no need for high speed internet at home. Steam is horrible, the concept is there, but the implementation is a disaster. If I had been at home and installed HL2, I would not have been able to play it because of the validation over the internet issue.

Besides, I don't go to EB or Gamestop, every time I go in there, all I see is console games. I'm not a huge fan of consoles, so I don't really care who takes over whom.
[right][snapback]74969[/snapback][/right]
Steam was a disaster two years ago. It's stable now. Well, everything is stable except for the friends service, which hasn't been up since 1973.
The error occurred on line -1.
Ashock,Apr 23 2005, 11:31 PM Wrote:Occhi, Guild Wars - worth getting or not? Since I just bought a new machine, I never got the chance to play the Beta.
tia
-A
[right][snapback]74940[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm. I enjoyed the play I had in the beta events I participated in, however, I would suggest you ask Skandranon or some of the other RBD GW crowd for a more detailed opinion.

Levels end at 20, multi classed, and "get to the team PvP events" seems to be the idea. I also see GW as having some variant potential.

I'd say give it a whirl.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 24 2005, 02:13 PM Wrote:I'd say give it a whirl.
[right][snapback]74978[/snapback][/right]
And, on that note, I will add that I received notice yesterday that my copy had been shipped by EB. At this point, I have not decided if I will even play it. All my gaming time is being invested in WoW, which I finally gave in and tried shortly after I pre-ordered Guild Wars. D'oh. :wacko:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Ashock,Apr 23 2005, 09:31 PM Wrote:Guild Wars - worth getting or not?
[right][snapback]74940[/snapback][/right]

FWIW (I played a few of the earlier GW trials, but none recently), IMO whether or not Guild Wars is worth getting will depend on what you're looking for.

GW struck me as a very mission oriented/competitive game. I think it will have a lot to offer in that regard, as well as in a team vs. team or pvp play, as a kind of rpg/fps hybrid (with plenty of updatable content). I'm not so sure it will work as well in the classic "let's go beat up some monsters" Diablo style. Actually, I think WoW doesn't do so well there either -- it's probably ultimately more an instance-type EQ game than a MMORPG version of Diablo.

On the original topic, myself I would much prefer non-CD internet enabled games than the reverse.

Thecla,Apr 25 2005, 12:08 AM Wrote:FWIW (I played a few of the earlier GW trials, but none recently), IMO whether or not Guild Wars is worth getting will depend on what you're looking for.

GW struck me as a very mission oriented/competitive game. I think it will have a lot to offer in that regard, as well as in a team vs. team or pvp play, as a kind of rpg/fps hybrid (with plenty of updatable content). I'm not so sure it will work as well in the classic "let's go beat up some monsters" Diablo style. Actually, I think WoW doesn't do so well there either -- it's probably ultimately more an instance-type EQ game than a MMORPG version of Diablo.

[right][snapback]75023[/snapback][/right]

So, are you buying it, Clawed One?

-A

ps. Thx, Occhi.
Reminds me of the IGN/Gamespy merger - interesting, but not really that important in the long run.
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Ashock,Apr 25 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:So, are you buying it, Clawed One?
[right][snapback]75089[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure -- I think I will wait and see how GW looks after it's released before I decide; I did cancel my WoW subscription though...