Soundless Sound?
I found this article on yahoo.com and thought it was really neat:

Fun Stuff

I think this could be really useful, what do you guys think?
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Apr 22 2005, 08:37 PM Wrote:I found this article on yahoo.com and thought it was really neat:

Fun Stuff

[right][snapback]74838[/snapback][/right]

I read about this is Popular Science awhile back. I'm not sure if it was this guy or someone else with similar technology. Call me a pessimist, but I see too many bad applications. Imagine Coke machines with these things. Put a short range one, say 10 feet, on it and everytime you come within 10 feet of the front of a Coke machine, you'll hear terrible pop-music advertising songs. Ew. While it could be used for many 'good' things, I imagine, like many inventions, the 'bad' uses will outweigh the 'good'.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I'm pretty sure I've heard of this (or something very similar) a while back. Is this the one that works by setting up something that resonates in your bones (or some such), making it sound similar to if you're wearing headphones?
-TheDragoon
TheDragoon,Apr 22 2005, 05:19 PM Wrote:I'm pretty sure I've heard of this (or something very similar) a while back.  Is this the one that works by setting up something that resonates in your bones (or some such), making it sound similar to if you're wearing headphones?
[right][snapback]74851[/snapback][/right]
Quite some time ago, there was a headphones type thing that looked like a thick scarf. To my best recollection, it functioned by vibrating against the collarbone which passed through the bones to be heard by the ears. It seems like they had a name that somehow fit into the walkman naming convention.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
That is so cool!

I wonder what the sound quality is like...

I wonder if something like that could be installed on my laptop... that would be awesome!
Scientist by Day
Sorceress by Night
Yrrek,Apr 22 2005, 02:37 PM Wrote:I found this article on yahoo.com and thought it was really neat:

Fun Stuff

[right][snapback]74838[/snapback][/right]

Ever heard of a concept of "the invasion of privacy?" This invention will allow not only that, but will allow the trespass of my inner monologue.

Also, I will now be unable to differentiate between the voices in my head and whatever crap someone sends me via this brilliant invention.

Time for a good old fashioned burning at the stake.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 23 2005, 11:17 AM Wrote:Ever heard of a concept of "the invasion of privacy?"  This invention will allow not only that, but will allow the trespass of my inner monologue.

Also, I will now be unable to differentiate between the voices in my head and whatever crap someone sends me via this brilliant invention.

Occhi
[right][snapback]74889[/snapback][/right]

Sailor, I like the cut of your jib.

I'll get the kerosine.

Something even more annoying than cellphones. Damned jackasses. If some machine was to cut in on my thoughts or annoy me, I will go Luddite on it's mechanical equivilant of an ass with a tire iron.

Don't toy with me... We all know what I did to the breadmaker.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Apr 23 2005, 04:52 PM Wrote:Don't toy with me... We all know what I did to the breadmaker.
[right][snapback]74892[/snapback][/right]

Two words, my flatulent friend: anger management.

But I agree with your sentiment.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Apr 23 2005, 12:01 PM Wrote:Two words, my flatulent friend: anger management.

But I agree with your sentiment.
[right][snapback]74893[/snapback][/right]

I managed my anger just fine thank you...

It's cheaper to buy bullets than it is to pay for a therapist.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
You know, a long long long time ago, I was in a conversation that is really starting to haunt me in this day and age.

I was a kid. It was the late 60s. The Moonshot had happened. And I was talking with a couple of older folk, mentors of mine, and some folk my age, or close to. We talked about technology. I said, in this conversation, that one day, probably very soon, computers will become household objects, as common as radios or televisions. On this, I got laughed at. People thought I was totally insane. And said so. I also stated that in the not to distant future, that advertisers would take over our lives with endless commercial overload. TV, radio, signs, jingles, etc. I also predicted that eventually commercials that we could not avoid would be projected directly into our brains, tailored to suit our individual likes or dislikes, or whatever the cooperate dictators deemed that we should like. That got a lot of laughs and a couple of folks told me I needed to stop smoking that smelly marryjoowawnee and reading all those crazy science fiction novels from the dimestore, because that stuff was rotting my brain.

Who's laughing now?

We haven't yet begun eating the tasteless gray nutrigoo I predicted, er, maybe some of us have, but I fear we are getting closer and closer to all sorts of nightmares.

Leonard Cohen said it best I believe in "Everybody Knows."

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it's moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past
Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows

All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
LochnarITB,Apr 22 2005, 03:45 PM Wrote:Quite some time ago, there was a headphones type thing that looked like a thick scarf.  To my best recollection, it functioned by vibrating against the collarbone which passed through the bones to be heard by the ears.  It seems like they had a name that somehow fit into the walkman naming convention.
[right][snapback]74853[/snapback][/right]

That's true, I remember hearing about that, too. Maybe I'm getting my mechanisms of the sound transfer mixed up. It's still cool, though. :)
-TheDragoon
TheDragoon,Apr 23 2005, 12:14 PM Wrote:That's true, I remember hearing about that, too.  Maybe I'm getting my mechanisms of the sound transfer mixed up.  It's still cool, though.  :)
[right][snapback]74900[/snapback][/right]

It's name was phonebone or bonephone. You can get the same effect by putting your headphones on your lower jaw snugly, and turning up the volume. The phone bone was set up along a slightly different line, but was better for jogging with tunage as it did not block your ears' ability to hear cars coming.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 23 2005, 11:17 AM Wrote:Ever heard of a concept of "the invasion of privacy?"  This invention will allow not only that, but will allow the trespass of my inner monologue.

Occhi
[right][snapback]74889[/snapback][/right]

This is an interesting reaction. For starters, even if someone had a recording of something in your own voice, I don't think the brain has any troubles to distinguish that from your inner monologue. Surely the brain can distinguish between information it sends itself and information the nervous system sends it. Did you feel the same way when the megaphone, public address system, or boombox were invented? Have you ever heard a recording of yourself and thought you were talking at that moment? For all of the technology that really can invade your privacy, this one scarcely rates higher than a power amplifier as far as I can see.

Honestly, my main issue with the technology is that seems inferior to some existing technology (headphones, megaphones/speakers, radio/CB/telephone, etc) for virtually any practical purpose. It sounds like something that will be a gimmick in a few museums and theme parks and then disappear. Maybe it will find some military uses, but I don't think mind control will be one of them.
Nystul,Apr 23 2005, 08:44 PM Wrote:This is an interesting reaction.  For starters, even if someone had a recording of something in your own voice, I don't think the brain has any troubles to distinguish that from your inner monologue. 
[right][snapback]74924[/snapback][/right]

This may be what "your own voice" means, but also, sounds sound different inside your head than outside. I notice this all the time with tape recorders and videos, where I sound differently there than when I hear myself talking.

Plus, I don't think a lot of peopel think in words, so even if sound did get in, it still wouldn't be the same as an actual thought.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Nystul,Apr 23 2005, 08:44 PM Wrote:This is an interesting reaction.  For starters, even if someone had a recording of something in your own voice, I don't think the brain has any troubles to distinguish that from your inner monologue.  Surely the brain can distinguish between information it sends itself and information the nervous system sends it.  Did you feel the same way when the megaphone, public address system, or boombox were invented?  Have you ever heard a recording of yourself and thought you were talking at that moment?  For all of the technology that really can invade your privacy, this one scarcely rates higher than a power amplifier as far as I can see.

Honestly, my main issue with the technology is that seems inferior to some existing technology (headphones, megaphones/speakers, radio/CB/telephone, etc) for virtually any practical purpose.  It sounds like something that will be a gimmick in a few museums and theme parks and then disappear.  Maybe it will find some military uses, but I don't think mind control will be one of them.
[right][snapback]74924[/snapback][/right]

Maybe you misunderstood what I meant by trespass on my inner monologue, and more likely I was unclear.

Trespass. To intrude upon without invitation. I do not claim that I won't be able to tell which is which, it is the intrusion that I object to, with vigour. Bad enough all the noise and unwanted audio stimulation I get now, I do not wish to be targeted by such a device. This becomes a griefing tool for real life.

Nys, the "voices in my head" line was a joke. You are familiar, I expect, with the Denis Leary song "Voices in My Head?" :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Covering one's ears would still be able to block this out, I would assume?
Occhidiangela,Apr 24 2005, 06:07 PM Wrote:Trespass.  To intrude upon without invitation.  I do not claim that I won't be able to tell which is which, it is the intrusion that I object to, with vigour.  Bad enough all the noise and unwanted audio stimulation I get now, I do not wish to be targeted by such a device.  This becomes a griefing tool for real life.
[right][snapback]74989[/snapback][/right]

I'm just not seeing what makes this a new or more significant threat in your eyes, since the "unwanted audio stimulation" already exists. Maybe you could give an example? For commercial uses, it would be no different than having a small speaker set up at the location. Is it the idea that some punk could use this on the street without attracting much attention? I think they would end up attracting quite a bit of attention.
Nystul,Apr 24 2005, 08:08 PM Wrote:I'm just not seeing what makes this a new or more significant threat in your eyes, since the "unwanted audio stimulation" already exists.  Maybe you could give an example?  For commercial uses, it would be no different than having a small speaker set up at the location.  Is it the idea that some punk could use this on the street without attracting much attention?  I think they would end up attracting quite a bit of attention.
[right][snapback]75001[/snapback][/right]

Being targeted by someone with sound assault. Not my idea of anything other than a nuisance. I see the grief potential in this, as well as innocent usage like getting your wife's attention at a crowded mall or during a foot ball game.

Sorry, I am not interested in further noise polution that is usable like a sniper rifle.

YMMV

Occhi
In Memory of Pete