Canada: Sponsership Scandal and Governance
Hi

Last night we had an unprecedented address to the nation from the Prime Minister of Canada. He acknowledged the depth of the problem that is being addressed by the Gomery Inquiry and stated that this is such a preoccupation in Parliament that it is hindering the process of introducing any legislation. He asked the public to support his request to wait until the final report of the Gomery Inquiry before making a full judgement, and committed to calling an election within 30 days of the publication of that final report. (That report is due in December of this year.)

The three leaders of opposition parties then gave televised addresses to the nation as well, although none were responding directly to the Prime Minister's speech (they all read previously written speeches too, as they had not heard the address until we did).

I will cut'n'paste the text of the Prime Minister's speech (taken from the CBC's website) below, as well as the text of two of the three leaders (Gilles Duceppe's speech was not available yet).

What I would like to know is what you think? Should we have another election right now? Or should we wait for the results of the Gomery Inquiry? Do we let our Prime Minister (and, by extension, the Liberal Party) off the hook for now? And do any of the Opposition parties have a creditable platform for replacing the Liberals right now?

I, for one, am weary of this topic, which I mentioned on this board over a year ago. The revelations are much worse than what our Auditor General brought forth back then. I still want to hear the end of the story before I cast another vote. Even without the latest news on that Sponsership mess, we Canadians clearly voted for and got a minority government, so that all issues would have to be addressed and nothing could get ram-roaded through by a majority government. I want to see the Opposition's record on how they deal with governance before they get my vote.

So how do you feel?

Text of the Prime Minister's speech:

I want to talk to you directly tonight: about the problems in the sponsorship program; about how I've responded to them as your prime minister; and about the timing of the next general election.

Let me speak plainly: what happened with the sponsorship file occurred on the watch of a Liberal government. Those who were in power are to be held responsible. And that includes me.

I was the Minister of Finance. Knowing what I've learned this past year, I am sorry that we weren't more vigilant - that I wasn't more vigilant. Public money was misdirected and misused. That?s unacceptable. And that is why I apologized to the Canadian people a year ago.

But taking responsibility is about more than words. I want to tell you what I?ve done as Prime Minister to deal with the sponsorship scandal to make sure it does not happen again, to make sure that those who violated the public trust will be identified and will pay the consequences.

On December 12, 2003, I cancelled the sponsorship program. It was my very first act on my very first day in office.

When the Auditor-General?s report was publicly tabled, I acted immediately by ordering a fully independent commission of inquiry, under Mr. Justice John Gomery. Its mandate is to get to the bottom of what happened, and to do it in full view of Canadians. It will report before the end of the year.

And I think you'll agree Judge Gomery is leaving no stone unturned.

In addition, I fired Alfonso Gagliano, the minister responsible for the sponsorship program, from his appointment as Ambassador to Denmark.

I put in strict new controls on spending within every single government department.

My government brought forward whistleblower legislation to ensure that when public servants and others come forward with evidence of wrongdoing, they are protected, not punished.

To recover taxpayers' money - money that went to those who did not earn it -- I ordered my government to sue 19 people and companies for more than $40-million.

I committed to acting on the recommendations of Judge Gomery when he brings forth his final report. And I myself testified before his commission, answering any and all questions.

Finally, I ordered that the Liberal party bring in auditors to conduct a forensic examination of its books - and call in the RCMP to investigate what took place during that period.

Let me emphasize that point: if so much as a dollar is found to have made its way into the Liberal party from ill-gotten gains, it will be repaid to the people of Canada. I want no part of that money.

As Prime Minister, I will never hesitate to describe what happened on the sponsorship file for what is was: an unjustifiable mess. It?s up to me to clean it up. That?s my job. I am cleaning it up. And I am willing to be judged on my record of action.

In recent weeks, fallout from the sponsorship inquiry has led to speculation about an election - which in turn is consuming virtually all political discussion, at least here on Parliament Hill. Initiatives to improve health care, strengthen our economy and ensure for Canada a role of pride and influence in the world are being obscured by partisan jousting.

In short, the Parliament you sent to Ottawa less than a year ago is preoccupied with election talk and with political strategy - not with the job you sent us here to do.

As people focus their attention on the commission?s hearings, let?s remember that the inquiry is being held in front of a judge for good reason.

There is conflicting testimony; only the judge is in a position to determine the truth. Only he can cut through the partisan politics. Only he can tell us what happened and who was responsible.

We've all heard that the opposition may defeat the government and take the country to the polls for the second time in a year.

I am prepared to face Canadians and have them judge my response to this serious test of leadership. I will be politically accountable. But I believe that before there is an election, you are entitled to answers ? to the answers that Judge Gomery is working toward. I believe that Canadians deserve a full and frank accounting of all the facts. Fairness and due process require nothing less.

For that reason, I commit to you tonight that I will call a general election within 30 days of the publication of the commission's final report and recommendations. Let Judge Gomery do his work. Let the facts come out. And then the people of Canada will have their say.

If the Opposition forces an election before then, that is their choice. But I believe we can do better. I believe we can ? and we should ? use the coming months to pursue the public's business. To act on the issues that matter most to you and make a difference in your life.

If we are to have an election, one that will be at least in part about the work of Judge Gomery, surely that election should occur only when we have the work of Judge Gomery.

In closing, let me say this: there are people who think I was wrong to call this inquiry, wrong to expose my government to the political cost of the scrutiny that has ensued. They warn we will pay a price in the next election. And perhaps we will.

But I trust your judgment. And I will not dishonour this office by trying to conceal or diminish such offensive wrongdoing. I have too much respect for this place.

When I was young, I practically lived here in the Parliament Buildings. My father was a cabinet minister in four Liberal governments. He taught me that those who serve in public office have a duty to protect the integrity of government.

My pledge to you tonight is that I will live up to that ideal. I went into public life because I believe in the good that government can do. And I will do my all as Prime Minister to make sure that your government is worthy of your respect.

The final judgment on whether I have done that will be yours.

Thank you. And good night.

Text of Mr. Harper's speech:

My fellow Canadians.

We have all just witnessed a sad spectacle -- a prime minister so burdened with corruption in his own party that he is unable to do his job and lead the country, a party leader playing for time, begging for another chance.

This is not how a prime minister should act.

A prime minister should not be addressing the population on this partisan issue, but rather on the concerns and challenges with which we are confronted: the health-care system, international trade, agriculture, the fiscal imbalance, safer communities, stronger families and a cleaner environment.

In the last election, Canadians elected a minority Parliament.

Over the past year, we Conservatives have worked productively with the other parties, particularly the other opposition parties, to make this Parliament effective.

Even last night, after months of resistance on the part of the government, we adopted a motion to ensure full compensation to all victims of hepatitis C through tainted blood.

If this Parliament is not working today, it is because the government has not made it work, because the government has no vision for the nation, because Mr. Martin is consumed by the image of corruption, crippled by dithering instead of deciding.

But we have now a more serious problem.

Mr. Martin received his mandate by holding an election before any of the facts of the sponsorship scandal were known.

Last May, it was Mr. Martin's decision to shut down the public accounts committee in its attempt to get to the truth.

It was Mr. Martin's decision to call an election last year before a single witness had been heard by Justice Gomery.

And it was Mr. Martin's decision to turn a blind eye to it all when he was minister of finance.

Do Canadians really believe that the No. 2 man in a government now under a cloud of corruption, is the person to clean up that mess today?

Do Canadians really believe that the Gomery inquiry would be operating if the Liberals had won a majority?

And do you really believe that the Liberals will ultimately prosecute themselves and hold their own to account?

I don't believe that. I don't think you believe that.

All of this creates a great deal of difficulty for us as the official Opposition.

The two other parties, the Bloc Quebecois and the New Democratic Party, have already voted to defeat this government several weeks ago.

The Conservative Party has tried to work with the government on issues where we can support its initiatives.

But how can we continue -- politically, ethically, or morally -- to prop up a government that is under criminal investigation and accusation of criminal conspiracy?

That's the real hard question that our caucus will address as they travel across the country the next week.

Let's be under no illusion.

However, the partisan politics of the next election play out, the Liberal Party of Canada has done tremendous damage to this country's institutions, particularly in Quebec.

Never forget that the sponsorship scandal is not a Quebec scandal.

It is a Liberal scandal that took place in Quebec, a Liberal scandal that took place in Quebec in the name of Canada and in the name of national unity.

The Liberal Party has turned federal politics in Quebec into a choice between separation and corruption.

And one thing is now clear -- the Liberal Party can no longer speak for federalism in Quebec.

It is tarnished beyond redemption, because Quebecers know it is beyond redemption.

Federalism must be rebuilt in Quebec by democratic options, founded on principles.

We are going to offer a democratic Conservative option.

We want Quebecers to choose Canada, and given an honest choice, Quebecers will always choose Canada.

But we must realize that what Quebecers will not do is choose corruption. They will not choose the Liberal Party.

The challenge for people outside Quebec is to show that we are equally prepared to demand accountability; to hold Mr. Martin and his party responsible and to build a united Canada where Liberal corruption has no place whatsoever.

Fellow Canadians, we all have difficult decisions to make.

Our party will make those decisions in our own way and in our own time, as we've done all along and we will do with your guidance.

Fellow Canadians, Mr. Martin's speech tonight was not about saving this country. It was about saving the Liberal Party.

That's a question for the voters to decide, but let me assure you there's no need to save this country. There's only a need to move it forward.

The Conservative Party wants to give this country direction. We want, and we believe you want, to end corruption and restore honest financial management; to have a health-care system that Canadians can count on when they need it; to better use the talents and credentials of new Canadians; to fix the fiscal imbalance plaguing our provinces and municipalities; to act on a made-in-Canada plan for cleaner air, water and land; to help our hard-pressed agricultural community and resource sectors; to give tax relief for Canadian families; and safety and security for our streets and our communities.

I look forward to sharing all of this with you, and more, in the near future.

Thank you, and good night.

Text of Mr. Layton's speech:

Good evening.

I know you care deeply about your family, your community, our environment. I share the hopes you have for them. I also share your disappointment.

The corruption scandal is not a national crisis. It's of deep concern, but it is a Liberal crisis, not a national one.

Also, Quebec people should know there are federalists who understand why they are angry. Because instead of respecting your desires for a greener, more flexible and socially responsible society, Liberals put up a sign to build a better country instead of listening to you.

In every province and territory, problems face people and our environment. It is to the discredit of politics that we can only focus on one. Across Canada, there are problems. It is to the discredit of politics that it focuses on only one.

This week, students will write exams and graduate with a debt too large. Others will look for training for a job they need without any luck. This is a problem, one that leaves our economy ill-prepared and too many people behind.

This week, people suffered smog. This summer, forest fires may be fiercer. Our Arctic will melt a bit more. This is a problem. One we have failed to address for 12 years, and can't fix with a Kyoto plan that doesn't keep the promise.

And this week, families are paying for child care, without the program you were promised 12 years ago. That's a problem too -- one that leads to a crisis of faith in politics.

I don't blame you for being tired. And I don't blame you for thinking politicians work for themselves, not you. This brings me to the corruption scandal.

As testimony shows, at the core of this scandal is a Liberal Party that cannot distinguish between the public purse and its own. Tragically, it may have let federalism in Quebec be seen as corrupt, even criminal.

I believe people are tired of this corruption and tired of asking for respect but receiving none.

It pains me that many people in Quebec see federalism as corrupt when testimony says Liberals are. And I want to say to the people of Quebec that everywhere in Canada there are citizens who respect them and share their anger because we share the same goals and values and want the same things.

The notion that a Liberal problem is a Canadian problem is wrong, and compounded by the prime minister tonight.

At the same time, we have a Parliament teetering on the brink.

I accept you are inclined not to believe politicians. We share collective responsibility for that. All of us.

But in this Parliament, guided by Alexa McDonough, Ed Broadbent, Bill Blaikie and the NDP caucus, we've tried to work for you, as New Democrats did in minority parliaments before that brought medicare and pensions.

We can't condone corruption, and are losing confidence in this prime minister.

But education, training for workers, and the environment are more important than this scandal.

We can't condone the prime minister's lack of respect for Parliament -- a lack of respect that cost him Mr. Harper's support.

But this also provides a chance for the dithering to end and action to begin.

We want to help get a balanced budget passed. So I say to Paul Martin: Bring the budget to a vote, take out the surprise corporate tax cuts and invest that money in things people want.

The NDP is in no rush to judge on the scandal. But we are in a rush to get something done through getting a better budget passed -- to show politics can be about you.

Thank you, and good night.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I think the public feels a fair degree of contempt towards the Liberal party. However they aren't particularly enthused by the opposition parties, and I think they're suffering election fatigue: they simply don't want to have to go through another election so soon after the last one.

I live in British Columbia where our provincial election campaign has just started. We sure don't want another Federal election. As far as I can tell, the only people who do are the opposition parties and the media.

Chris
ShadowHM,Apr 22 2005, 07:13 AM Wrote:What I would like to know is what you think?  Should we have another election right now?  Or should we wait for the results of the Gomery Inquiry?  Do we let our Prime Minister (and, by extension, the Liberal Party) off the hook for now?    And do any of the Opposition parties have a creditable platform for replacing the Liberals right now?
[right][snapback]74783[/snapback][/right]

I say we have an election. And I'd be all for a Liberal majority.

As regards the Liberals, of course I'm unhappy. I - like most Canadians, I'd imagine - think it's horrific that the corruption reached that far and that they took that much money. On the other hand, I'm disgusted by the politics of the Opposition to date. Harper's assertion that the Conservatives have tried to work with the government is a lie; the CPC's been engaged in brinksmanship from the moment Parliament convened. Layton, though he tries to paint it differently, is just leaning on the government's weak position to extract concessions, and I've never been fond of the concessions the NDP likes to get. Duceppe and the Bloc have been trying to bring down the government from the very start.

Currently, I don't believe any of the three national federal parties could govern effectively. Of them, however, I prefer the Liberals. The CPC is not my Progressive Conservative party; their obstinate stance on social issues like gay marriage will never win them votes in Quebec. Regardless of how anyone feels personally about the issue, they need to realize that there needs to be some room to talk about the issue within the party if they ever hope to be truly national.

That isn't to say I don't have serious issues about how the Liberal party's been governing. A number of them, I believe, are due to the minority situation. The opposition parties have shown themselves to be manifestly incompatible with the spirit of compromise, and their constant threat is forcing the Liberals into bad moves. Even so, the Liberals are far from ideal, but to me they're as close as it's going to get.

In any case, there isn't any governing going on now. The Liberals are too busy playing defence, and the other three are circling it like vultures. I'd like Parliament to get to the business of being the government again, and waiting for the end of the Commission will only extend the period of institutional paralysis.

One more thing. I'm incredibly annoyed at Dalton McGuinty and his newfound inclination to take cheap shots at the federal government. He's taking shots at Canadian federalism, though he probably doesn't realize it, and his harping on the issue of the revenue gap is making things significantly worse while not increasing the chance of a resolution. He's trying to score points like Danny Williams, and his narrowminded self-interest is exacerbating the problem of government. The unbelievable stupidity it takes to make such a move at a time like this makes me wonder how he managed to make it into office in the first place. Regardless of what happens federally, McGuinty must go down.
I, too, am pretty much in the camp of "I want to see justice exacted on the cretins responsible, but the Liberals to stay in power." A conservative, or an NDP government is not something I'm looking forward to.

And speaking about BC elections, heavens forbid that we have an NDP government... We are just beginning to recover from the 20 years of incompetence...

I did like Harper's, "Do you think the Liberals will prosecute themselves?" part of the speech - what I really wonder is if the two parties were exchanged, would the PC's have acted any better, hrm? Corruption will always be there, be it with legislature "Influenced" by campaign contributors, half a can of bones thrown at any union deciding to strike, or... Money finding its way into the pockets the people who are there to make sure that such a thing doesn't happen.
ShadowHM,Apr 23 2005, 01:13 AM Wrote:... the problem that is being addressed by the Gomery Inquiry...

To recover taxpayers' money - money that went to those who did not earn it -- I ordered my government to sue 19 people and companies for more than $40-million.
[right][snapback]74783[/snapback][/right]

I read this thread, and still can't figure out what the 'problem' is. Some Canadian money went 'missing'?

Wasn't Gomer a fraggle?
whyBish,Apr 22 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:I read this thread, and still can't figure out what the 'problem' is.  Some Canadian money went 'missing'?

It pretty much found its way into the pockets of the relatives of the Liberal party. (Who were running the majority government at the time, curently forming a minority government)
whyBish,Apr 22 2005, 06:15 PM Wrote:I read this thread, and still can't figure out what the 'problem' is.  Some Canadian money went 'missing'?
[right][snapback]74856[/snapback][/right]

A while back (1995), Quebec held a referendum on whether they should remain part of Canada. It was only narrowly defeated - 50.58 per cent to 49.42 per cent. The Liberal Federal government of the day decided that they should have a 'sponsership fund' to (essentially) wave the Canadian Flag at Quebec events, in an effort to convince Quebecers that remaining in Canada was a Good Thing™.

This fund was (to put it mildly) poorly supervised. The Auditor General of Canada put out a report in early 2004 concerning a number of discrepancies in how it was administered. Justice Gomery was named shortly thereafter to head an Inquiry into the whole mess.

It transpires that, not only was a lot of money billed for minimal to no performance, but that contracts were awarded to companies that gave "liberally' to the Liberal party. Details are still emerging, as testimony at the Inquiry proceeds.

The business of governing has ground to a crawl, if not a halt, as the opposition has had a field day with accusations and cat-calling in Parliament.

It appears that the head of the sponsership fund administration routinely reported to the Prime Minister's office directly for 'guidance' on where to spend funds.

Just to add some interest to the story, the Prime Minister of the day, Jean Chretien, loathed our current Prime Minister, Paul Martin. It is actually quite possible that, despite his title at the time of Minister of Finance and head of the Treasury Board (where the sponsership fund was nominally under), Mr. Martin may not have been allowed to be 'in the loop' for decisions.

Justice Gomery has been remarkably candid in his public comments about the behaviour he has heard testimony on - to the point that some who have testified have complained about the chance that their criminal trials may be jeapardized by difficulty finding a jury that has not already got a pre-conceived notion about their guilt. :unsure: I am looking forward to reading his report.

Edit: Wikipedia has an entry here that gives a more detailed summary.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake