Video problems
I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics processor (I think the card is an ASUS 9800 or something like that. Anyway, I have updated the drievers but did so thorugh Nvidias home page were I got the drivers v71.89 (appearantly latest). The whole reason I updated was that I had problems with videos using Xvid (through latest DivX codec), my computer just froze. So I tried updating the dirvers for my graphics card and it seemed to work, I could now play vidoes although with a slight "freeze" at for some vidoes upon exiting. However, I have know noted that some games simply crash to a black screen upon starting. This happens both to my Football Manager 2005 and an old Panzer general 2 game. When running Raise of Nations, typically it takes several seconds for the vidoe to not just be garbage but then it works ok.

So, does anyone know if there is a problem with Nvidia's drivers, should I perhaps have gone through ASUS (I seem to lack several tabs on the "advanced" options for graphics settings. Can I someway fix the problems you think? Can I install drivers from ASUS ontop of the ones for Nvidia?

Can it be something completely unrelated? I seem to have noticed the computer feels "not well" often, although I cant say what is wrong or see anything specific.

Any help appreciated.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Video card drivers are tricky. You may have to rollback.

Look at the Asus website for their brand specific video card drivers first. If that doesn't work... you may have to rollback. Sorry I have no other advice at the moment. I imagine you've already tweaked the video settings, especially frame refresh and resolution.
Drasca,Apr 21 2005, 07:52 PM Wrote:Video card drivers are tricky. You may have to rollback.

Look at the Asus website for their brand specific video card drivers first. If that doesn't work... you may have to rollback. Sorry I have no other advice at the moment. I imagine you've already tweaked the video settings, especially frame refresh and resolution.
[right][snapback]74695[/snapback][/right]

I tried that and downloaded the latest frm ASUS, turns out it is actually just the Nvidia one with an initial splash screen from ASUS. I actually tried to install the old ASUS driver I had on my hard disc (after removing the current). Still same problem. Updated to newest, still no good. Problem is, now I had both ASUS driver and Nvidia driver on my "remove program" list and I after removing the Nvidia, I still have ASUS listed, but it says it is not installed (I hate that).

On the other hand, I think I have, again, a faulty graphics card. I have tried the new driver again, and it is even worse now. Playing movies is just showing a fun dispplay of bizarre colors. The computer at times freezes just chaging the respolution (after installing driver and trying to switch back to normal resolution. I get the problem back were pixels in rows up/down have different colour (primarilly text whic browsing and such) but occationally in pictures. Games crash on startup randomly, some more than others. ALmost no video works wuthout problems now. I think I just witnessed a graphic card go bad in the last hours :( I suppose I have to turn it in for replacement again. Oh well. It is free on warranty but still. usually get a replacement card since it takes up to a few weeks. I hate this, was not so long ago the same happened.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
One last ditch effort: Omega Drivers. People have reported having less issues with them than standard drivers. It does sound like your video card is going back, but it doesn't hurt to try one more thing ...
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Jarulf,

If you tried the latest drivers from both Nvidia and ASUS, then you are probably the possessor of a card with some RAM going south..

You won't see the corruption until you hit the nasty piece of RAM.

Given that a Ti4200 is getting on a bit now, I'm surprised that it is under warranty. Always worth getting it fixed - even to keep as a spare.

I'm using a FX5700 now, which cost me very little (after a long dalliance with ATI) and I'm pretty pleased. I suspect that it is a fair bit faster than the 4x00 series and runs pretty cool (and is cheap). Mind you, I only pulled the GeForce2 MX out of the kids machine about 3 weeks ago..

One thing you could try is heat sinks on the RAM on the card.. It coule just be overheating. As it almost certainly isn't socketed, you can't reseat it - which was the old-timers trick of fixing corruption in video cards (anyone remember s3 Trio's :)

HowGozit
Turned out my card is the 9280, not the 9800 I said before (don't think a 9800 even existed). Allready took the card out for fixing, so no time to check the omega drivers.

As for warranty, it is 3 years on all parts as part of the "home computer" deal (that is, you buy it though your work). Otherwise it would probably have been 2 years only as that is the minimum by law. I still have a little bit more than 1 year left on the three year deal. After that, one can "buy out" the computer (it is technically owned by the company, not me now), typically for a neglectable fee. At the same time one can buy a new one.

Since I get to borrow a replacement card while they fix the other one, it is really not much of a problem for me. Thanks all for the ideas though, I might try to RAM cooling though when I get back the fixed card (or new if they replace it).