Anyone confident the patch will work?
I am quite surprised that Blizzard has released a patch that according to reliable sources is bug filled and not ready. The guild i am in had numerous people on the test servers and their opinion is its not ready. I guess we will find out in a couple of hours. Some rumor i had heard was the test server patch was obviously not a final version and the developers had a more polished one. That seems obvious but.......
Cenarius Alliance

Liscentia 80 Death Knight (450 Herbalism 425 Inscription)
Mysteryium 80 Shaman (450 Skinning 441 Leatherworking)
Tutelin 80 Priest (413 Enchanting 420 Tailoring)
Frozzen 73 Mage (Tailoring 375 Enchanting 375)
Obstinate 71 Hunter (375 Herbalism 375 Alchemy)
Squabbles 70 Warlock (Tailoring 375 Leatherworking 291)
Niniuin 70 Paladin (Herbailism 375 Alchemy 375)
Thunderous 66 Warrior (Mining 375 Tailoring 360)
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 11:45 AM Wrote:I am quite surprised that Blizzard has released a patch that according to reliable sources is bug filled and not ready.  The guild i am in had numerous people on the test servers and their opinion is its not ready.  I guess we will find out in a couple of hours.  Some rumor i had heard was the test server patch was obviously not a final version and the developers had a more polished one.  That seems obvious but.......
[right][snapback]74432[/snapback][/right]

I just assume that things are going to end up in flames and ruin. That way I get pleasantly surprised when they don't.

Still waiting on that one.
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:I am quite surprised that Blizzard has released a patch that according to reliable sources is bug filled and not ready. 

I know this is cruel, but that line alone had me snickering.

The question that I am asking is - when HAS Blizzard released a WoW patch that wasn't bug filled and not ready. :unsure:
Swiss Mercenary,Apr 19 2005, 05:44 PM Wrote:I know this is cruel, but that line alone had me snickering.

The question that I am asking is - when HAS Blizzard released a WoW patch that wasn't bug filled and not ready.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]74454[/snapback][/right]

I agree with you but i am just assuming that eventually they will get it. i can't think of any other job/profession where you can monthly get away with sloppy work. I worked in the Call Center business for a number of years and we used IP phones (provided by Cisco systems) and constantly we had to do updates to the software. We also informed our large accounts (1 mil. U.S. $+) what we were doing and what good or potential bad would happen. My job was damage control (being Quality control Manager). If the patch was unsuccessfull (that happened a few times) i was on my cell phone talking to these accounts letting them know what went wrong and what we were doing about it. Blizzard is absolutely disrespectful to their customers and someday will eventually pay for it.
Cenarius Alliance

I have to say I'm surprised as well. Perhaps they've fixed some of the bugs, but I anticipated waiting another week for the patch. I'm kind of nervous that Blizzard has swung in the complete opposite direction from "wait 4 months for a patch" to "pumping out a patch every 3 weeks come hell or high water". I guess we'll see.

My fear is that few of the existing bugs will be patched, but a whole bunch of new ones will show up (like Enslave Demon which broke in the last patch).

Chris
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 11:07 AM Wrote:I agree with you but i am just assuming that eventually they will get it.  i can't think of any other job/profession where you can monthly get away with sloppy work.  I worked in the Call Center business for a number of years and we used IP phones (provided by Cisco systems) and constantly we had to do updates to the software.  We also informed our large accounts (1 mil. U.S. $+) what we were doing and what good or potential bad  would happen.  My job was damage control (being Quality control Manager).  If the patch was unsuccessfull (that happened a few times) i was on my cell phone talking to these accounts letting them know what went wrong and what we were doing about it.  Blizzard is absolutely disrespectful to their customers and someday will eventually pay for it.
[right][snapback]74461[/snapback][/right]
So by extension, you are suggesting that Blizzard should treat people who pay them $15 the same way your company treated million dollar customers or they are being disrespectful? I bet if you send them the check for a mill, they'll call you on the phone and discuss any bugs with you...
savaughn,Apr 19 2005, 06:19 PM Wrote:So by extension, you are suggesting that Blizzard should treat people who pay them $15 the same way your company treated million dollar customers or they are being disrespectful?  I bet if you send them the check for a mill, they'll call you on the phone and discuss any bugs with you...
[right][snapback]74464[/snapback][/right]

In a partial way, yes i am saying that and for these reasons. Blizzard has provided a community forum where they do make updates and inform their consumer base. They have made it their practice to mainly provide only good news and info that serves them and them only. My statement above was a poor attempt to show that they should be treating us as a collective whole (that adds up to 18 to 20 million a month based off 1.5 million subscribers worldwide) and that should be meaningful to them. I have played other MMO's that do a much better job at informing their player base. Constantly providing us (the player/consumer base) with constantly shoddy work says they don't mind us beta testing their patches because thats what it is. We test their patches, they hotfix or patch and they repeat the scenario over and over again. I am just wondering if this will ever end or is the status quo with this company.
Cenarius Alliance

Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 01:27 PM Wrote:In a partial way, yes i am saying that and for these reasons.  Blizzard has provided a community forum where they do  make updates and inform their consumer base.  They have made it their practice to mainly provide only good news and info that serves them and them only.  My statement above was a poor attempt to show that they should be treating us as a collective whole (that adds up to 18 to 20 million a month based off 1.5 million subscribers worldwide) and that should be meaningful to them.  I have played other MMO's that do a much better job at informing their player base.  Constantly providing us (the player/consumer base) with constantly shoddy work says they don't mind us beta testing their patches because thats what it is.  We test their patches, they hotfix or patch and they repeat the scenario over and over again.  I am just wondering if this will ever end or is the status quo with this company.
[right][snapback]74467[/snapback][/right]

LOL. what MMO's did you play that ever actually offered any sort of customer service? it sure wasn't an SOE product. heck coming from playing EQ2 and SWG the customer service from blizzard is platinum and gold. Now Asheron's Call and AC2, that was good customer service. And come to think of it those are the only MMO's i've ever played that had anything close to resembling CS.

This is from a list of Ulitma Online, Everquest, Asherons Call, DAoC, Asheron's Call 2, SWG, Everquest 2, and now WoW.
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 11:45 AM Wrote:I am quite surprised that Blizzard has released a patch that according to reliable sources is bug filled and not ready.  The guild i am in had numerous people on the test servers and their opinion is its not ready.  I guess we will find out in a couple of hours.  Some rumor i had heard was the test server patch was obviously not a final version and the developers had a more polished one.  That seems obvious but.......
[right][snapback]74432[/snapback][/right]
Just signed on, couldn't send mail, couldn't summon my pet... Killed one mob, loot lagged, then the EK crashed and everything rolled back including inventory (not that I had done all that much). Got back to where I was, same thing happened, CTD, and I was locked out until the entire server seemed to crash.

So, I think the QA manager should be shot. Send it back to development until the bugs are worked out, sheesh.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Got on, picked up nearly 20,000 in exp (Again, I am so very sorry that I had to cut out early on the Zul'Farrak run. I'll try to ensure that doesn't happen again), jumped the flight/boat to Darnassus to check out the new mounts in person (I'd take the last two ridges off the head armor. Everything else looks good to me, though I do miss the pure black Nightsaber) jumped on the boat to Menethil, and freezecrashed.

Who knows where I'll wake up...
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Apr 19 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:Who knows where I'll wake up...
[right][snapback]74496[/snapback][/right]
Probably a few places at once. Personally the first time I crashed I had taken the zeppelin from Orgrimmar to Undercity and then the bat to Sepulcher for the Shaman water quest. I finished the quest and went to hearth back to Org and take the wyvern back to Crossroads. Well I cast my hearthstone but I didn't go anywhere, so I went to walk back but crashed in the process. When I got back online I was back on the bat to Sepulcher, but my quest was completed and I had you get from completing it. So from the server's standpoint I completed the shaman quest about halfway between UC and Spetular on the back of a bat. :blink:

edit: horrible spelling.
Big surprise, all the Realms are down except for Burning legion. Not sure why that one is up and I'm not really sure if it is...it never did load the Character List. Guild Wars is looking pretty good right about now...
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Sir_Die_alot,Apr 19 2005, 03:05 PM Wrote:So from the server's standpoint I completed the shaman quest about halfway between UC and Spetular on the back of a bat.  :blink:
[right][snapback]74504[/snapback][/right]

See, the server just calls that 'skill, baby'. ;)
Tank for hire.
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 11:27 AM Wrote:In a partial way, yes i am saying that and for these reasons.  Blizzard has provided a community forum where they do  make updates and inform their consumer base.  They have made it their practice to mainly provide only good news and info that serves them and them only.  My statement above was a poor attempt to show that they should be treating us as a collective whole (that adds up to 18 to 20 million a month based off 1.5 million subscribers worldwide) and that should be meaningful to them.
[right][snapback]74467[/snapback][/right]
So, by extension, since you called your million dollar customers on the phone, I'm entitled to 1/50000th of a phone call?
savaughn,Apr 20 2005, 01:04 AM Wrote:So, by extension, since you called your million dollar customers on the phone, I'm entitled to 1/50000th of a phone call?
[right][snapback]74523[/snapback][/right]

Phone call was just an analogy. Thats why in my response i brought forward what Blizzard is currently using as their tool of communication with their playerbase, the community forums.. They promised that they would keep the community updated (Mike Morhaime, President, own words) and promised no more fiasco's (that was Dec/Jan). Since then it has been disaster after disaster. As a paying consumer and using your analogy, yes they do owe me a 1/500000 of a call or at least inform me through their communication channel, the forums. They have been good at giving credits but that is wearing thin. I have played another MMO extensively, EQ, and last year i received stellar service from them. NO patch troubles, no disconnects, one server outage (15 minutes). Also i got stuck in game on a Saturday night and within an hour a GM got me out of my situation. I have ticketed GM's in WoW and never ever got a response that fast. People like to bash Everquest but their service and infrastructure was far superior to what WoW has going for them now. The shameful thing is WoW has had the opportunity to learn and be better than any of their competitors but that is not the case.
Cenarius Alliance

1. Logged on. Handed in quest item, a unique cudgel, and received experience. Then I crashed. When I logged back on later, the quest showed as undone and I could no longer loot the cudgel and complete the quest.

2. Crashed again and had to reboot.

EDIT:
3. crashed again.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 06:15 PM Wrote:As a paying consumer and using your analogy, yes they do owe me a 1/500000 of a call or at least inform me through their communication channel, the forums.  They have been good at giving credits but that is wearing thin.  I have played another MMO extensively, EQ, and last year i received stellar service from them.  NO patch troubles, no disconnects, one server outage (15 minutes).  Also i got stuck in game on a Saturday night and within an hour a GM got me out of my situation.  I have ticketed GM's in WoW and never ever got a response that fast.  People like to bash Everquest but their service and infrastructure was far superior to what WoW has going for them now.  The shameful thing is WoW has had the opportunity to learn and be better than any of their competitors but that is not the case.
[right][snapback]74524[/snapback][/right]
EQ has had a long history of abusing its customer base. Sweeping changes without player input, arbitrary issues, bug introductions, and all sorts of things can be found inside its rather amusing history. Most of these are, of course, blown way out of proportion by it's players who feel the problems are much more serious than they were, but the fact of the matter is that all of the people I personally know who played EQ hate Sony.

This is mostly because they started playing closer to when EQ came out.

EQ1 came out in 1999. The game has been out for over six years. It is well past the development point, trending instead into obsolescence - thus EQ2. You are comparing a system still being developed to one that had well over 5 years of stabilization behind it when you started playing it. Talk to anyone who lived through EQ's development years. They will tell you (and folks have already chimed in on this in this thread) that Blizz DID learn from that. And they're miles ahead.
Sword_of_Doom,Apr 19 2005, 08:15 PM Wrote:Phone call was just an analogy.  Thats why in my response i brought forward what Blizzard is currently using as their tool of communication with their playerbase, the community forums..  They promised that they would keep the community updated (Mike Morhaime, President, own words) and promised no more fiasco's (that was Dec/Jan).  Since then it has been disaster after disaster.  As a paying consumer and using your analogy, yes they do owe me a 1/500000 of a call or at least inform me through their communication channel, the forums.  They have been good at giving credits but that is wearing thin.  I have played another MMO extensively, EQ, and last year i received stellar service from them.  NO patch troubles, no disconnects, one server outage (15 minutes).  Also i got stuck in game on a Saturday night and within an hour a GM got me out of my situation.  I have ticketed GM's in WoW and never ever got a response that fast.  People like to bash Everquest but their service and infrastructure was far superior to what WoW has going for them now.  The shameful thing is WoW has had the opportunity to learn and be better than any of their competitors but that is not the case.
[right][snapback]74524[/snapback][/right]

Luckily you don't seem to have experienced anything with SOE that would require any REAL customer service. One hour for a GM to move you isn't bad. Try logging in to find half of your inventory missing and when you petition their response is "Sorry we cannot return any lost items" when it is i known bug that is happening all over the place and instead of biting the bullet and doing a server roll back they say screw it let the people take the heat till tomorrow when we load the patch that will fix it.

Or how about the All Time Greatest SOE CSR response in Star Wars Galaxies where a player's Jedi would not lose Visability (A term in SWG to describe how a Jedi would be up for PK Bounty Hunters if they used their Jedi skills. This status would wear off after some time of not using thier skills thus losing Visability) and the response from the CSR was for the player to update their video card drivers.