Lord Kazzak in Lakeshire
A group of Horde players pulled Lord Kazzak, an outdoor raid boss who normally hangs out in the Tainted Scar, up to Lakeshire and posted a video and some screenshots of the feat.

And before the inevitable discussion of griefing starts up, let me say that, yes, I think Blizzard should fix it so that Kazzak can't be pulled that far. Yes, I can see that this could be a problem, if this were repeated over and over on all the servers. (Note: it takes several days for him to respawn after he's killed, however). However, in a "funny the first time" way, it was really funny to watch this video. And, hey, if you haven't seen Lord Kazzak yourself, this video would give you an idea of what it's like to face him.
MongoJerry,Apr 17 2005, 05:00 PM Wrote:And before the inevitable discussion of griefing starts up, let me say that, yes, I think Blizzard should fix it so that Kazzak can't be pulled that far.  Yes, I can see that this could be a problem, if this were repeated over and over on all the servers.  (Note: it takes several days for him to respawn after he's killed, however).  However, in a "funny the first time" way, it was really funny to watch this video.  And, hey, if you haven't seen Lord Kazzak yourself, this video would give you an idea of what it's like to face him.
[right][snapback]74281[/snapback][/right]
The first time it's funny, after that it's old. I wish more people would realize that. B)
I'm sure Blizzard will end up doing something based off their stance with Stitches. They claimed that pulling Stitches to Lakeshire is not greifing because only people that participate in attacking can die to him. The same is, unfortunately, not true for Kazzak.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
MongoJerry,Apr 17 2005, 09:00 PM Wrote:A group of Horde players pulled Lord Kazzak, an outdoor raid boss who normally hangs out in the Tainted Scar, up to Lakeshire and posted a video and some screenshots of the feat.

And before the inevitable discussion of griefing starts up, let me say that, yes, I think Blizzard should fix it so that Kazzak can't be pulled that far.  Yes, I can see that this could be a problem, if this were repeated over and over on all the servers.  (Note: it takes several days for him to respawn after he's killed, however).  However, in a "funny the first time" way, it was really funny to watch this video.  And, hey, if you haven't seen Lord Kazzak yourself, this video would give you an idea of what it's like to face him.
[right][snapback]74281[/snapback][/right]

I actually laughed at this video and probably wouldn't be terribly upset if it happened while I was there questing. After all its not like it is terribly difficult to rez and get outta Dodge if you were surprised. :)
Tal,Apr 18 2005, 09:28 AM Wrote:I actually laughed at this video and probably wouldn't be terribly upset if it happened while I was there questing. After all its not like it is terribly difficult to rez and get outta Dodge if you were surprised. :)
[right][snapback]74321[/snapback][/right]

Aye, things like these (the first) time, I would personally love to get suprised by. The only problem I see with Kazzak is that his anti-zerg prevents killing once he gets into town - the guards will keep him alive with his heal-on-death spell.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
MongoJerry,Apr 17 2005, 08:00 PM Wrote:And before the inevitable discussion of griefing starts up, let me say that, yes, I think Blizzard should fix it so that Kazzak can't be pulled that far.

I hate to stick my nose in where it has no business, but a question comes to mind:

How would you implement a "pull limit?" If you add a line in the AI to check distance from spawn (dfs) and then key some action on it, regardless of what action it is, it would probably end up either being exploited, or blasted by players.

If it is programmed such that at a certain dfs the enemy disengages and returns to point x, players will pull to dfs and then heap damage on the enemy until it re-engages, rinse, repeat. If it is programmed that the enemy disappears at dfs and reappears at spawn, players will complain that they were attempting to use legitimate strategy, and the enemy disappeared in the middle of a legitimate fight. I'm trying to find a way to strike a balance between a free-flowing AI and a grief free game environment, but I'm not sure that I can come up with one, and I've been taught many times that pointing out a problem is useless unless you also propose a reasonable solution for it. Any ideas???
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quark,Apr 18 2005, 07:48 AM Wrote:Aye, things like these (the first) time, I would personally love to get suprised by.  The only problem I see with Kazzak is that his anti-zerg prevents killing once he gets into town - the guards will keep him alive with his heal-on-death spell.

Yeah, and the reflection shield. For those who don't know about this stuff, Kazzak heals for 75,000 health and does a shadow bolt volley every time he kills someone or something. Plus, he casts a magic reflection shield on random targets and when he hits those targets with his shadow-bolt volley, it returns a ton of health to him. So, it can actually be harder to face him with a large party, because just a few people can mess up the whole fight by not paying attention. In this case, NPC guards and random low level gawkers could keep Kazzak alive for a long time.

Quote:If it is programmed such that at a certain dfs the enemy disengages and returns to point x, players will pull to dfs and then heap damage on the enemy until it re-engages, rinse, repeat.

I was thinking that they could make it so that if someone pulled Kazzak out of the Tainted Scar, he'd evade, run back to his starting position, heal up, and reset. I guess this could be a problem on PvE servers, though, since I suppose an opposing faction member could try to pull him over to the zone line to make a group have to start over on the fight. But that would require the opposing faction member to build up more aggro than the group's tank and anyway it's much easier to mess people up with this encounter simply by walking up to Kazzak and dying (after removing your armor and weapons so that you don't have a repair bill, of course).
Jeunemaitre,Apr 18 2005, 10:20 AM Wrote:I hate to stick my nose in where it has no business, but a question comes to mind:

How would you implement a "pull limit?"  If you add a line in the AI to check distance from spawn (dfs) and then key some action on it, regardless of what action it is, it would probably end up either being exploited, or blasted by players.

If it is programmed such that at a certain dfs the enemy disengages and returns to point x, players will pull to dfs and then heap damage on the enemy until it re-engages, rinse, repeat.  If it is programmed that the enemy disappears at dfs and reappears at spawn, players will complain that they were attempting to use legitimate strategy, and the enemy disappeared in the middle of a legitimate fight.  I'm trying to find a way to strike a balance between a free-flowing AI and a grief free game environment, but I'm not sure that I can come up with one, and I've been taught many times that pointing out a problem is useless unless you also propose a reasonable solution for it.  Any ideas???
[right][snapback]74340[/snapback][/right]

I thought that the way normal mobs work is that they indeed do have a distance limit. If that distance limit is exceeded:

1. They immediately run back to their "home," ignoring things that are in their way.
2. They are immune to all damage while doing that trip (ever see the evade? I get this when trying to grab a mob that was chasing someone but had turned around).
3. They return to full health.

Doesn't this stop the kinds of exploits you are talking about?