Couple Quirks
I've noticed a few quirks recently. I get the feeling they all relate to how various data are saved (or not saved, as the case may be) when a level becomes inactive.

The first one is very minor, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention it before and it does not appear to be in the buglist. We already know that door traps can reset when you close the door and leave the level, and this is kind of a similar surprise. Sometimes, you manage to kill a monster outright by exploding a barrel next to it or setting off a trap which hits it. These monsters are apparently just "playing possum". If you leave the level and come back, there they are, alive and well. I've seen this happen consistently in multi-solo play. I'm not yet sure what happens if the monster was carrying an item.

The other thing I noticed was more of a nit to the buglist. When you enter a level with gargoyle-type mobs, leave it, and enter again, none of the gargoyle-types are in statue form. In the buglist, this is linked to town portal as a spell-related bug. However, I am pretty sure it happens when taking the stairs as well.
Nystul,Apr 16 2005, 11:43 PM Wrote:The first one is very minor, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention it before and it does not appear to be in the buglist.  We already know that door traps can reset when you close the door and leave the level, and this is kind of a similar surprise.  Sometimes, you manage to kill a monster outright by exploding a barrel next to it or setting off a trap which hits it.  These monsters are apparently just "playing possum".  If you leave the level and come back, there they are, alive and well.  I've seen this happen consistently in multi-solo play.  I'm not yet sure what happens if the monster was carrying an item.

So you could clear the whole lvl and have the barrel/trap killed monsters come back to life when you return? Very strange. What if they're partially damaged by a player and then killed by a barrel? (Not to mention the potential for exploits if they are carrying items. :-P )

Quote:The other thing I noticed was more of a nit to the buglist.  When you enter a level with gargoyle-type mobs, leave it, and enter again, none of the gargoyle-types are in statue form.  In the buglist, this is linked to town portal as a spell-related bug.  However, I am pretty sure it happens when taking the stairs as well.
[right][snapback]74215[/snapback][/right]

But this is what I thought -- just leaving and reentering a lvl in any way activates all the gargolyes, right?

I suppose when you reenter a lvl the game loads its saved state but forgets to deactivate the door traps, kill the barrel-killed monsters (very odd), or deactivate the gargoyles. No doubt Jarulf will explain why, as far as he remembers, that's a hopelessly naive and innacurate scenario.
Thecla,Apr 17 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:So you could clear the whole lvl and have the barrel/trap killed monsters come back to life when you return? Very strange. What if they're partially damaged by a player and then killed by a barrel? (Not to mention the potential for exploits if they are carrying items. :-P )
But this is what I thought -- just leaving and reentering a lvl in any way activates all the gargolyes, right?

I suppose when you reenter a lvl the game loads its saved state but forgets to deactivate the door traps, kill the barrel-killed monsters (very odd), or deactivate the gargoyles. No doubt Jarulf will explain why, as far as he remembers, that's a hopelessly naive and innacurate scenario.
[right][snapback]74221[/snapback][/right]

The Gargoyle stuff is indeed related to how the game saves the dungeon. Basically, their state is not saved and hence they are just put into normal "unactivated mode". I think the dungeon generation will initially place them also in stone mode, can not recall details though. This is briefely mentioned in my Guide under gargoyles, although I now noted I used the inappropriate word "active". Since adding the AI chapter, this tunrs wrong a bit since they are not really active, just6 not in stone form.

I really have no idea about the monsters not dead. Are you saying that monsters killed by traps won't be dead when you come back?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Apr 17 2005, 04:53 AM Wrote:I really have no idea about the monsters not dead. Are you saying that monsters killed by traps won't be dead when you come back?
[right][snapback]74223[/snapback][/right]

That's what's happening. The first time I noticed it, there was one of those small rooms full of barrels in the church. There were three skeletons standing next to each other in the back of the room. I hit one of the barrels and all of the barrels exploded, killing the skeletons. I finished the level and then took a town portal to drop some things off in town. Then I went back down and walked through the level to make sure I hadn't missed anything (this was an ironman game, and I didn't want to leave anything important behind). When I got to the barrel room, the three skeletons were standing there waiting for me. Since then, I've seen the same thing happen with arrow traps as well.
Nystul,Apr 17 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:When I got to the barrel room, the three skeletons were standing there waiting for me.  Since then, I've seen the same thing happen with arrow traps as well.

That's so interesting, Nystul. Of all the times I've seen monsters die to traps, I can't say I ever returned to the scene of the crime. Mostly, once an area's cleared I don't go back, so it's easy to see how this could be overlooked for so many years! Nice find.

-Lemmy