Skilling up ranged weapons.
My friend recorded some numbers and made a post in the WoW forums about skilling up ranged weapons. I thought I'd post them here since he went to quite a bit of trouble and some might find the results interesting.

Quote:I have an irrational need to max all of my character's skills. Something about seeing 300, or 305's across the board keeps me content. So why does it take such an insane amout to skill up my bow?

The bow was the last of my ranged weapons that I got to 300 on my rogue and I was curious about the numbers, so I wrote them down.

295 to 296: 52 shots
296 to 297: 98 shots
297 to 298: 60 shots
298 to 299: 215 shots
299 to 300: 1151 shots

And from experience I can tell you that the numbers are similar for skilling thrown, guns, and crossbows to 300. Why does it take more shots to go from 299 to 300 than it does to go from 1 to 299? It really doesn't make sense at all. Skilling those was almost as boring as hitting 300 in fishing.
playingtokrush,Apr 16 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:My friend recorded some numbers and made a post in the WoW forums about skilling up ranged weapons.  I thought I'd post them here since he went to quite a bit of trouble and some might find the results interesting.
[right][snapback]74203[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, I'm trying to figure out why this matters. It is interesting, but...

If you are a Hunter you use ranged as a primary, so one empty quiver of arrows later you are 300. You would go through that in an instance run at level 60 and not even notice. Getting the skill from 295 to 300 will happen and the difference in crits and dps would be slight.

If you are not a hunter, then you probably use it as an attention getter rather than needing any sustained DPS, so a skill of 5 or 300 is equally effective in pulling a mob. If you miss, they still come. Getting 300 for this use is just a completion thing, like getting 300 in fishing.

If you are a custom hybrid that wants to use some form of rooting and ranged dps, then you will bear the burden of difficulty with the grace of a deviant. :-)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

playingtokrush,Apr 16 2005, 06:50 PM Wrote:My friend recorded some numbers and made a post in the WoW forums about skilling up ranged weapons.  I thought I'd post them here since he went to quite a bit of trouble and some might find the results interesting.
[right][snapback]74203[/snapback][/right]

Ah but the real question any true Lurker would strive to answer is:

How does intelligence affect those numbers?
:D
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Concillian,Apr 19 2005, 11:34 AM Wrote:Ah but the real question any true Lurker would strive to answer is:

How does intelligence affect those numbers?
:D
[right][snapback]74449[/snapback][/right]
That would be much more difficult to test. It'd probably be easiest testing it on two identical lowbie characters: one with an Arcane Intellect buff and one without.

But just from experience I can answer that question with "not very noticeably." A mage with 400 intellect doesn't seem to have a much easier time building weapon skill than a rogue with 30.
playingtokrush,Apr 19 2005, 02:09 PM Wrote:That would be much more difficult to test.  It'd probably be easiest testing it on two identical lowbie characters: one with an Arcane Intellect buff and one without.

But just from experience I can answer that question with "not very noticeably."  A mage with 400 intellect doesn't seem to have a much easier time building weapon skill than a rogue with 30.
[right][snapback]74481[/snapback][/right]

Well like almost everything else in WoW, it's most likely class specific. A Priest with 300 spirit doesn't regenerate HP 10 times faster than a Warrior with 30 spirit, does he? In fact, he regens considerably slower.
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
That is the law and the whole of the law
BoddoZerg,Apr 19 2005, 02:18 PM Wrote:Well like almost everything else in WoW, it's most likely class specific. A Priest with 300 spirit doesn't regenerate HP 10 times faster than a Warrior with 30 spirit, does he? In fact, he regens considerably slower.
[right][snapback]74493[/snapback][/right]
Well, either way, intelligence for casters doesn't seem to help weapon skill up rate at all, even though it really should.