Let's revisit some forum history
Right you are. On the term I mean.

In a sese all rock throwing is zero value.
But the question is "is it wrong to throw rocks or is wrong that a target exists?"
Griselda,Apr 17 2005, 07:10 PM Wrote:I tried to look the PETE conspiracy up a while back, and was able to find it.  It's one of my favorites.  Of course, I didn't save the link. :(  I think it was originally written by LiquidDamage or by Count Duckula (as Pirengle, but I may have the spelling wrong).  So, using those two names should speed up a search of the old forums (or fora, as the Petes are fond of saying).
[right][snapback]74247[/snapback][/right]

The master link to The Code Is the Final Arbiter, I believe. As for the Pete Conspiracy, I've heard people mention it, and I may even have had a hand in it, but I can't remember it.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Apr 17 2005, 06:06 PM Wrote:The master link to The Code Is the Final Arbiter, I believe. As for the Pete Conspiracy, I've heard people mention it, and I may even have had a hand in it, but I can't remember it.
[right][snapback]74275[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, Ducky, and sorry to any who went looking at about page 69. it was about page 40, not 69 as I suggested. Tells you something about where my mind is lately . . . :blush:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?for...ageid=983900989

Took me half an hour to find it by looking in the wrong place . . . I are a rube sometimes.

Occhi

PS: I thought the Pete Conspiracy might be quite a bit more recent than that, as in somewhat post XPAC in vintage.

Occhi again
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 17 2005, 01:56 PM Wrote:Try this link:  Da Thread
[right][snapback]74255[/snapback][/right]

Ahh, that's better. Thanks :-)

-A
Count Duckula,Apr 17 2005, 07:06 PM Wrote:The master link to The Code Is the Final Arbiter, I believe.
[right][snapback]74275[/snapback][/right]

Ah, that one. One of the more cleverly laid out arguments against twinking, oops I mean "in favor of duping" ever.
Jester,Apr 17 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:Wasn't it Brian Weissman, creator of The Deck ™?

I remember the guy you're talking about, and that's what I got when I tried looking him up. Didn't know what "The Deck" was at the time, but I do remember him being an ass.

Jester
[right][snapback]74238[/snapback][/right]

IIRC, Brian Weissman's complaint wasn't that LoD was too easy, but that it was too hard. He posted during the beta, intensely frustrated that his polearm-whirlwind Barbarian couldn't slice its way through 8-player act 5. He was E-baying items, and made some absurd argument in its defense.
Skandranon,Apr 17 2005, 06:24 PM Wrote:IIRC, Brian Weissman's complaint wasn't that LoD was too easy, but that it was too hard.  He posted during the beta, intensely frustrated that his polearm-whirlwind Barbarian couldn't slice its way through 8-player act 5.  He was E-baying items, and made some absurd argument in its defense.
[right][snapback]74283[/snapback][/right]

Well, even though he was a bit premature in his assessment of the Barb, eventually the Barb did become a pathetically weak character, weak with massive twinking and completely useless without it.

He went from way too powerful when D2 just came out, to too powerful right before LoD came out, to just right when it came out, to way too weak without elite items in 1.09 and finally unplayable without the best gear and too weak even with it in 1.10.

The man was a prophet.

-A
Remember the "Magic Card" guy? I forget what his D2 point was but he felt we should all pay it great heed because he had invented some popular deck.
Ashock,Apr 17 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:Well, even though he was a bit premature in his assessment of the Barb, eventually the Barb did become a pathetically weak character, weak with massive twinking and completely useless without it.

He went from way too powerful when D2 just came out, to too powerful right before LoD came out, to just right when it came out, to way too weak without elite items in 1.09 and finally unplayable without the best gear and too weak even with it in 1.10.

The man was a prophet.
-A
[right][snapback]74286[/snapback][/right]

Takes us back right where we started, eh? Melee chars get the shaft. For a while, the Lance's shaft was offered as a placebo . . . and then . . . the shaft.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 17 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:Takes us back right where we started, eh?  Melee chars get the shaft.  For a while, the Lance's shaft was offered as a placebo . . . and then . . . the shaft.

Occhi
[right][snapback]74292[/snapback][/right]

I know all about getting the SHAFT. Sort of like when Occhidemerc gave his fellow Legionaires the shaft the night we invaded The Tamoe You Kill We Grill BBQ Pit.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Occhidiangela,Apr 17 2005, 08:04 PM Wrote:Takes us back right where we started, eh?  Melee chars get the shaft.  For a while, the Lance's shaft was offered as a placebo . . . and then . . . the shaft.

Occhi
[right][snapback]74292[/snapback][/right]

Hehe, even more than that. Takes me back to when I used to have big time arguments on the old forum with those who used to say that Barbs are all idiots, since the only people who play them are morons and the smartest ones were those playing Zons, since they were weak (yep, Blizzard hates melee, and I never played Lance barbs since they look retarded ww'ing with a lance) ..... ahhh, memories ;-) I think the one with sharp claws might remember some of those ;-)

-A
Doc,Apr 17 2005, 09:33 PM Wrote:I know all about getting the SHAFT. Sort of like when Occhidemerc gave his fellow Legionaires the shaft the night we invaded The Tamoe You Kill We Grill BBQ Pit.
[right][snapback]74296[/snapback][/right]

But we did it for The Glory of the Legion!!!!!!!! That has to count for something.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
whyBish,Apr 17 2005, 02:37 AM Wrote:With 25 from a circlet easy enough to get (and double socketed for 39

Minor nit: couldn't double-socket circlets until much later in the game, long after safety crafts were nerfed.

Of course, one could still get insane DR, I'm not disputing your basic premise.

Sailboat
Griselda,Apr 17 2005, 12:10 PM Wrote:I tried to look the PETE conspiracy up a while back, and was able to find it.  It's one of my favorites.  Of course, I didn't save the link. :(  I think it was originally written by LiquidDamage or by Count Duckula (as Pirengle, but I may have the spelling wrong).  So, using those two names should speed up a search of the old forums (or fora, as the Petes are fond of saying).
[right][snapback]74247[/snapback][/right]

That would be me. It was my 15 minutes of fame in this small corner of the world.

It was after Network54, and I think it was before the XPac, because RUSSBarb and GERBarb inspired it.

I'm sorry, I didn't keep a copy of it, or I would repost it for you guys. :(

For those who don't remember or never saw it, the gist of it was that Pete was actually a forum version of RUSSBarb and GERBarb-- the barbarians that many people played in shifts to reach level 99 in D2C.

The idea was that one person, who I called Jack or something, was the actual poster, because Pete's posts were always the same style. However, no one person could POSSIBLY know everything that Pete seems to know, so Jack kept a database of names of experts on various subjects. When a post would come up on that topic, he would contact those experts, and they would provide him with the necessary information for a post that was guaranteed to be the most authoritative response on the subject.

Jack was also a bit of an ass, and enjoyed ripping into people.

There were various links to posts that were used for proof of his expertise on around 8 different, mostly unrelated subjects.

Speaking of Pete, anybody hear any more news about how he's doing? Last I saw was Occhi saying that Magi said he was doing "better".
LiquidDamage,Apr 20 2005, 02:45 AM Wrote:That would be me.  It was my 15 minutes of fame in this small corner of the world. 

It was after Network54, and I think it was before the XPac, because RUSSBarb and GERBarb inspired it. 

I'm sorry, I didn't keep a copy of it, or I would repost it for you guys. :(

For those who don't remember or never saw it, the gist of it was that Pete was actually a forum version of RUSSBarb and GERBarb-- the barbarians that many people played in shifts to reach level 99 in D2C.

The idea was that one person, who I called Jack or something, was the actual poster, because Pete's posts were always the same style.  However, no one person could POSSIBLY know everything that Pete seems to know, so Jack kept a database of names of experts on various subjects. When a post would come up on that topic, he would contact those experts, and they would provide him with the necessary information for a post that was guaranteed to be the most authoritative response on the subject.

Jack was also a bit of an ass, and enjoyed ripping into people.

There were various links to posts that were used for proof of his expertise on around 8 different, mostly unrelated subjects.

Speaking of Pete, anybody hear any more news about how he's doing?  Last I saw was Occhi saying that Magi said he was doing "better".
[right][snapback]74545[/snapback][/right]

No news is good news. Last news was "things getting better."

Occhi
In Memory of Pete