Experience Calculator?
One of my favorite Diablo 2 supplements were all the experience calculators. I remember in one of them you just plug in your level and all the available areas you have and it would point you to the area that had the best monsters to kill for you.

I hope and pray that there is something like this for WoW. I like exploring and finding good areas to grind in (currently the Charred Vale seems pretty good) but I would like to simplify the experience. Running around in contested territory is not my idea of a fun time :)

Thanks in advance
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
Savingsupertokyo,Apr 13 2005, 08:12 PM Wrote:One of my favorite Diablo 2 supplements were all the experience calculators.  I remember in one of them you just plug in your level and all the available areas you have and it would point you to the area that had the best monsters to kill for you.

I hope and pray that there is something like this for WoW.  I like exploring and finding good areas to grind in (currently the Charred Vale seems pretty good) but I would like to simplify the experience.  Running around in contested territory is not my idea of a fun time :)

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]73820[/snapback][/right]

In WoW, the exp enemies give you is based on their level, so different places actually makes no difference at all. A mob of equal level to you gives you ((MobLevel*5)+45) experience, with percentage increases/decreases if they're higher/lower level than you.

So basically what you could do is take a look at areas where the enemies you face are 1) easy to kill (casters for rogues, undead for paladins, etc), and 2) either at your level or a little below it.

This list (while aimed at rogues) should be good for most melee classes at least.

EDIT: Phoenix > savaughn. Mwahaha.
Savingsupertokyo,Apr 13 2005, 11:12 AM Wrote:One of my favorite Diablo 2 supplements were all the experience calculators.  I remember in one of them you just plug in your level and all the available areas you have and it would point you to the area that had the best monsters to kill for you.

I hope and pray that there is something like this for WoW.  I like exploring and finding good areas to grind in (currently the Charred Vale seems pretty good) but I would like to simplify the experience.  Running around in contested territory is not my idea of a fun time :)

Thanks in advance
[right][snapback]73820[/snapback][/right]
Be kind of pointless, wouldn't it? Every monster at a fixed level gives the same XP. Every monster at your level+1 will give exactly the same XP as ay other monster at that level (elites excepted). In Diablo this was not the case. Personally, I have to say that I prefer the new method.

<edit: SIMULPOST! :) >
Phoenix,Apr 13 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:So basically what you could do is take a look at areas where the enemies you face are 1) easy to kill (casters for rogues, undead for paladins, etc), and 2) either at your level or a little below it.
[right][snapback]73825[/snapback][/right]

Adding another criterion: loot type/opportunities.

At level 36, there are many places that our Shaman/Druid duo can go to grind for a while if we don't want to do a quest. However, we found that the Alterac Mountains are the best for us at this time. The Ogres drop cash and equipment that sells well; the Yeti can be skinned (my wife's druid is a leatherworker); there is abundant Goldthorn and Wintersbite (my shaman is an alchemist).

Except for a few levels here and there, there are often MANY choices on where to go with monsters of a certain level. Perhaps instead of an 'experience calc' that told you where to get the best experience, it would be more interesting to have a searchable catalog of each sub-area of each zone with monster type, level range, and user comments. So, if you wanted to find a good place to go for your level, you could enter that in and get a list of various places, browse the list, and find the area that you will get the most out of.
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Gurnsey,Apr 13 2005, 08:49 PM Wrote:Adding another criterion: loot type/opportunities.

At level 36, there are many places that our Shaman/Druid duo can go to grind for a while if we don't want to do a quest.&nbsp; However, we found that the Alterac Mountains are the best for us at this time.&nbsp; The Ogres drop cash and equipment that sells well; the Yeti can be skinned (my wife's druid is a leatherworker); there is abundant Goldthorn and Wintersbite (my shaman is an alchemist).

Except for a few levels here and there, there are often MANY choices on where to go with monsters of a certain level.&nbsp; Perhaps instead of an 'experience calc' that told you where to get the best experience, it would be more interesting to have a searchable catalog of each sub-area of each zone with monster type, level range, and user comments.&nbsp; So, if you wanted to find a good place to go for your level, you could enter that in and get a list of various places, browse the list, and find the area that you will get the most out of.
[right][snapback]73827[/snapback][/right]

On that note, many people prefer either humanoids (for the cash and the cloth drops) or beasts, for the skinning of leather. Humanoids are extra popular for rogues, since they often can minimize the mobs damage output by Kicking or Kidney Shotting when they channel their spells, and because of the fact that caster mobs often die very quickly as they have less HP and armor.
Unfortunately, every area with numerous 20+ mobs is Contested on PvP servers (except for a small handful of Horde or Alliance territory instances, of course). If you don't want it you can change now, since playing time wise you're probably at MOST 1/5 of the way to 60.

Grinding + Contested Territory = Hard. I think it's meant to be this way. I'd reccommend that for heavily contested areas (where you're absolutely going to run into enemies, places like Charred Vale, areas near Astranaar in Ashenvale, Shimmering Flats, etc.) you quest in groups. In areas like Wetlands and you don't see nearly as many Horde because it's practically a stinkin' Alliance stronghold. If you want to solo grind, all I can say is stay away from the populated areas, or play at low-pop times. Places like Stranglethorn and the ones I mentioned earlier.
Gregorius,Apr 13 2005, 07:21 PM Wrote:Grinding + Contested Territory = Hard.
[right][snapback]73873[/snapback][/right]
Grinding + Contested Territory != Hard

Once you get into the contested territory range of leveling, you have a spectacular number of places to play. At 40 you have Desolace, Duswallow, Feralas, Tanaris, Alterac, Arathi, the Hinterlands, Badlands, Searing Gorge, Swamp of Sorrows, and the Blasted Lands all available to you for grinding. If you're alliance, no, you shouldn't be grinding in Stonetalon Mountains - that area is horde favored. Similarly, any Horde trying to grind in the Wetlands is looking for a bad day.

Unlike questing, when grinding you can find the most out of the way place on the planet and just stay there. If there's no opposing faction quest in that area, you'll probably never see them. On the off chance that you do, you have several thousand other places to go.

That said, when questing it is certainly easier, faster and safer in pairs.
savaughn,Apr 15 2005, 02:58 PM Wrote:At 40 you have ... the Blasted Lands
What? What is there to grind in Blasted Lands at 40?