Bugged Fireball
I heard fireball is bugged and causes excessive damage. Considering the relative uselessness of other fire spells compared to fireball and even lightning, it seems odd that fireball is so powerful.

What I'm wondering is what exactly it is supposed to do and how it fubars.

I heard that it deals splash damage and direct damage to the initial target, that its splash damage is about 20 times higher than it should have been and was supposed to be 3/64 of impact damage and not 64/64, that it deals more damage to the splash than to the initial target [64/64 splash damage twice to area, 64/64 single hit and 3/64 overlapping splash to initial target] and various permutations of these.

So what exactly is wrong with fireball?
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
Hi,
From Jarulfs Guide Online:
Quote:Fireball

Type: fire
Min. Damage: Rec(slvl, 4 + 2·clvl)
Max. Damage: Rec(slvl, 40 + 2·clvl)
Quick Min. Damage: (4 + 2·clvl) · (9/8)^slvl
Quick Max. Damage: (40 + 2·clvl) · (9/8)^slvl
Real Damage: Rec(slvl, 2·(Rnd[10]+Rnd[10]+clvl) + 4)
Speed: 16 + 2·slvl (max 50)
Blockable: Yes

Note:
*&nbsp; A fireball causes splash damage in adjacent hexes as well as in the target hex. Splash damage is equal to the damage of the fireball itself.
*&nbsp; If the fireball has traveled over some obstacle on its way to its target, the splash damage normally does not occur.
*&nbsp; You can block either the fireball or the splash, but not both.
From the DSF Buglist:
Quote:FIREBALL

Fireball actually does far more damage than listed in the spell book, as a Fireball hit causes initial damage to the target and then splash damage on top of it.

Splash damage from Fireballs (possibly other spells) is removed when traveling over objects like spikes, chests, etc. Try casting a Fireball into a pack of Snow Witches behind a spike or something, and only the direct damage will be applied; one witch will be hit, the rest won't be scratched.
That makes it as good as sure that it doesn't do '64/64 splash damage twice to area', but only once. I don't know how much splash damage it is supposed to be doing, though.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
whats the meaning of hex
i need it for the translation
danifilth,Apr 27 2005, 06:57 AM Wrote:whats the meaning of hex
[right][snapback]75356[/snapback][/right]

From chapter 1.3:

"• The dungeon basically consists of square locations where each square can typically contain only one monster, player or other object. In the guide, unfortunately, the terminology used for those squares includes terms such as location, tile and square. They should all be read and understood to be the same thing."

Appearantly I also have used "hex" in some places. This is actually sort of an error on my part I would say, since in my opinion a hex should have six sides, while locations in Diablo are always square. Anyway, for all practical purposes, all those terms are the same. I should probably update the guide in that aspect, or at least remove "hex".

Out of curiosity, what type of translation are you doing/using?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
danifilth,Apr 27 2005, 06:57 AM Wrote:whats the meaning of hex
[right][snapback]75356[/snapback][/right]
Hi,

I would translate "hex" as "Kästchen" or "Feld", like: "causes splash damage in adjacent hexes as well as in the target hex" as "verursacht Flächenschaden in allen angrenzenden Feldern/Kästchen sowie im Zielfeld/-kästchen".
Actually though, the 'hexes' are rhombuses, or (if you don't think in up-down-left-right-dimensions but in upperright-lowerleft-upperleft-lowerright-dimensions) squares, like Jarulf already said.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Sooo the direct damage is doubled but the splash damage is correct?
Odd that elemental does 14/64 splash and fireball the full 64/64... ?!

A hex is something that turns you into a frog in Warcraft 3. :D

Brother Laz,Apr 28 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:Sooo the direct damage is doubled but the splash damage is correct?
Odd that elemental does 14/64 splash and fireball the full 64/64... ?!

A hex is something that turns you into a frog in Warcraft 3. :D
[right][snapback]75519[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps I am not understanding the thread, but from my Guide (I can't recall anything so I have to check the Guide as well), the fireball and the elemental do the listed damage. After that, the fireball makes one additional attack to each adjacent locations as well as in the target location. The damage of those splash attacks should be equal to the initial damage of the fireball itself.

The elemental will instead of a one time hit splash damage, cause an effect that lasts for 14 frames and each fram make an attack were the damage is 1/64th of the initial damage. So, assuming all attacks hit, the total elemental splash damage will be 14/64th of the damage the initial hit of the elemental did.

That is my understanding of my Guide :)
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Soo they actually work very differently? Fireball has one splash effect and elemental 14 subsequent ones like some sort of ranged flash or firewall patch?

Makes one wonder why two almost identical skills work so differently. Blizzard reasoning. :)

... just guessing, but if the initial elemental missile kills a monster, is that when it continues through it and hits someone else, as opposed to when the initial missile merely damages it and then the splash kills it?

Brother Laz,Apr 29 2005, 02:37 PM Wrote:Soo they actually work very differently? Fireball has one splash effect and elemental 14 subsequent ones like some sort of ranged flash or firewall patch?

Makes one wonder why two almost identical skills work so differently. Blizzard reasoning. :)

... just guessing, but if the initial elemental missile kills a monster, is that when it continues through it and hits someone else, as opposed to when the initial missile merely damages it and then the splash kills it?
[right][snapback]75637[/snapback][/right]

No, the fireball will after its attack make 9 additional attacks, one in each tile. The lemental will, if I recall correctly, create 9 new effects, one in each location, that lasts for 14 frames and make one attack attempt each every frame.

Have not looked at the code for a long time so this is from memory of how it should (or rather could) work.