A Simple Question re Foe Flash Damage
From reading Moriah's and Dr.Disaster's guides on killing using the Flash spell, I know that the three northern tiles relative to the player cast a much weaker Flash spell than the other five tiles, affecting where you should stand in relation to your opponents if you wish to do maximal damage.

My question would be in regards to FOES that cast flash, specifically Zhar the Mad in Single Player -- does _his_ Flash spells also cast "weaker" in the three tiles to the north of him? Thus it might be wiser to attack Zhar from a specific direction, the better to avoid his initial Flash damage?

In addition to Zhar the Mad, do all Mage/Wizard types that cast Flash when engaged in adjacent combat cast a "weaker" Flash in regards to the northern three tiles? Or does the game use some other, different calculation in applying Flash damage from foes onto players?

Just curious.

Ah! One other thing. When your avatar casts Flash, he/she becomes temporarily invulnerable. However, the same is NOT true when enemy Mages/Wizards cast Flash versus melee attackers -- you damage and kill them regardless, right?

Attika
I checked Jarulf's Guide and it lists the damage for mages casting Flash as mlvl/32 and 4/64, so yes, the same seem to apply there and the weak one is really weak for anyone.

The invulnerability has something to do with the game interface and the game setting your character into some special mode for some reason if I recall correctly. Nothing such happens for monsters (at least this is my memory of it all).
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,Apr 9 2005, 02:43 PM Wrote:I checked Jarulf's Guide [...]
[right][snapback]73459[/snapback][/right]
Hehe. Nice.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
[quote=Jarulf,Apr 9 2005, 01:43 PM]
I checked Jarulf's Guide and it lists the damage for mages casting Flash as mlvl/32 and 4/64, so yes, the same seem to apply there and the weak one is really weak for anyone.

Jarulf,

I thought the 'weaker' effects don't occur 'behind' the monster -- as stated in your Guide 4.1.3 and 4.2.1 -- but rather in the tiles to the North of the monster regardless of the monster's facing. Is this not so?

If the weaker damage is the three northern tiles regardless of monster facing, you should plan to attack it from the North so that you should take the 4/64 damage, correct? (And this regardless of monster facing, for of course the monster will turn to attack you).

And if it is the player casting the Flash spell, it is also the three northern tiles that are the 'weaker' cast damage regardless of the player facing, correct? So when you are surrounded by monsters, it is always the three monsters to the North that survive a strong Flash attack(regardless of your character's facing), ergo it's in your best interest to try and place a wall to your character's North when using Flash.

Thus your Guide's statements (about it being the tiles 'behind' the monster/player) are incorrect?

Attika
Attika,Apr 11 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:
Jarulf,Apr 9 2005, 01:43 PM Wrote:I checked Jarulf's Guide and it lists the damage for mages casting Flash as mlvl/32 and 4/64, so yes, the same seem to apply there and the weak one is really weak for anyone.
Jarulf,

I thought the 'weaker' effects don't occur 'behind' the monster -- as stated in your Guide 4.1.3 and 4.2.1 -- but rather in the tiles to the North of the monster regardless of the monster's facing. Is this not so?

If the weaker damage is the three northern tiles regardless of monster facing, you should plan to attack it from the North so that you should take the 4/64 damage, correct? (And this regardless of monster facing, for of course the monster will turn to attack you).

And if it is the player casting the Flash spell, it is also the three northern tiles that are the 'weaker' cast damage regardless of the player facing, correct? So when you are surrounded by monsters, it is always the three monsters to the North that survive a strong Flash attack(regardless of your character's facing), ergo it's in your best interest to try and place a wall to your character's North when using Flash.

Thus your Guide's statements (about it being the tiles 'behind' the monster/player) are incorrect?
Attika
[right][snapback]73586[/snapback][/right]

I think that with the world "behind" I was not referencing the monsters/characters behind, but rather, the behind from the players look onto the screen. Hmm, did that make sense? That is, it is always the "north" tiles that would be the ones being weak. I think the guide says north right? Don't have it here. Thus, it is irellevant which direction the character or monster is facing. Perhaps my Guide is unclear but that was the intention with what I wrote.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.