Computers
Simply put: What interests you most about computers, and what are you most likely to spend time doing on computers?

Me personally, it's a long list. Games naturally are a big one. Really though, I'd have to say generally making the computer do whatever I want it to is the most entertaining. Whether disassembling an Invision Message board, and turning it into something halfway decent (:P), building a web server with pre-formed scripts to host idiots with too much money, or turning a superpowered PC into a large deformed pimple by screwing up the Windows API, it's all good to me.

Exactly what really draws everyone else to computers? Oh, and besides gaming, the generic, "I #$%&ING HATE COMPUTERS! THEY SUCK WORSE THAN A NEW ENGLAND HOOKER ON STEROIDS!" is definately acceptable.
SetBuilder,Apr 7 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:"I #$%&ING HATE COMPUTERS! THEY SUCK WORSE THAN A NEW ENGLAND HOOKER ON STEROIDS!"

What's so different about New England Hookers? I always thought a hooker is a hooker is a hooker. :P

Cheers,

Munk
New England Hookers?

Well, to start, they are YANKEES. And right off the bat, that's a pretty bad thing to begin with. Plus, up North, the women folk have the most annoying accent ever. And they talk through their noses. And they need a sammich for the love of God. I have seen Yankee women, you could grate cheese on their ribs.

Now a proper Southern Girl, raised on grits and biscuits, and chubby in all the right places... DAYUM. And the best part is, they tawk sooo durn slow that before they can say "I aint that type of girl" they are.

And on topic, this is what I love about computers. Right up there. That. Communication of thought. Good stuff™.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
SetBuilder,Apr 8 2005, 01:19 AM Wrote:Simply put: What interests you most about computers, and what are you most likely to spend time doing on computers?

Well, for one, they provide me with an excellent means of earning a living.. :D

Games, instant communication (or only slightly delayed in the form of email), and I just plain like putting them together and making them work. B)

HowGozit
Games, for one. Recently, however, that has shifted towards debate. I can easily debate with people across the world. I debate anything: Affirmative Action, Social Security, the nature of God, free will, my superiority over everything and everyone, etc., etc.
I also like the ability to learn. Just last week, I learned more math than I have the past 3 years in school. <_<
SetBuilder,Apr 7 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:Simply put: What interests you most about computers, and what are you most likely to spend time doing on computers?

[right][snapback]73357[/snapback][/right]

Two things: number crunching and communication.

I am in charge of two number intensive aspects of my husband's business - billing and accounting. Before I had a computer to do this, it took a lot of time, calculator tapping and paper shuffling. Now, it takes comparitively little time and the numbers can even automatically be fed into the 'other' functions. I still spend a lot of time doing this, but it is less time than before.

I love the communication aspect of a computer / internet connection combo. Forums, research, e-mail, instant messaging, voice communication - all of those are wonderful adjuncts to my world. (Although there is one downside: I get writer's cramp now if I try to write anything lengthy in longhand nowadays.)

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Computer games, internet, typing. It's really nice to be able to be able to make changes without having to rewrite the paper, and also to always have it nice and readable.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)