Man arrested at Best Buy for using $2 bills
DeeBye,Apr 12 2005, 06:29 PM Wrote:I absolutely understand and agree with the reasons behind tightening up border crossing procedures, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
[right][snapback]73751[/snapback][/right]

The US-Canadian border is not really the border that people talk about when they mention "porous" borders.

-A

ps. The BB portion of the thread has run it's course. Let it go ;)
Hi, ShadowHM,

ShadowHM,Apr 12 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:I cottage on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario. 
[right][snapback]73676[/snapback][/right]

Ohhh, lucky you! :blink:

I've been a member of the Michigan Botanical Club for 20+ years. Each year members from all of the chapters around the state gather at some interesting "natural" area for a foray over Memorial Day Weekend (the end of May, for those non-USA people who don't know what that is). They usually go to a different place each year; most members would rather keep seeing new areas than revisiting "old" ones. However, the Bruce is one place that is periodically revisited (I think about 3-4 times in that 20+ year span). However, I have had to miss most of the foray's for one reason or another, so I've never actually been to the Bruce -- but I've sure heard lots of raves about it. [Just in case anyone is interested, here's some info on this spring's foray -- and the group, elsewhere on the site: http://michbotclub.org/more/forays/oakland...and_co_2005.htm -- and if any of you are interested in knowing a little bit about a couple of my interests, check out the "St. Ignace 2004" link at the bottom of the above page, click on "Field Trips" and then search for "lichen" ...]

And, yeah, this should have probably been a separate thread -- that thought occurred to me just as I hit the "Post reply" button. :blush: [oh well, I SAID it was past time for me to be in bed :lol: ]

I hope you have time to enjoy your "little corner of Paradise" this spring and summer!

Regards,

Dako-ta
Occhidiangela,Apr 7 2005, 05:25 PM Wrote:When some jackanape tells me US dollars ain't good here, in a store in the US, I take it as a personal affront.
[right][snapback]73277[/snapback][/right]

Just been to Australia for a two week holiday (should have gone there permanently ;) ) and had about four shops refuse to take money from me ... $100AU bills. Next time I will take smaller notes, or go electronic :(
whyBish,Apr 15 2005, 04:51 AM Wrote:Just been to Australia for a two week holiday (should have gone there permanently  ;)  ) and had about four shops refuse to take money from me ... $100AU bills.  Next time I will take smaller notes, or go electronic :(
[right][snapback]74030[/snapback][/right]

Next time, take smaller notes. :) Many stores are wary of high-denomination bills, due to counterfeiting issues and issues with keeping a sufficient float to be able to make change for the next customer.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Apr 16 2005, 01:04 AM Wrote:Next time, take smaller notes.  :)    Many stores are wary of high-denomination bills, due to counterfeiting issues and issues with keeping a sufficient float to be able to make change for the next customer.
[right][snapback]74034[/snapback][/right]

It's still rather absurd that I get treated better with lower denomination bills than higher ones. I can understand the counterfeiting issue, except that over here it is very hard to do, as each note has about ten-20 different anti-counterfeiting measures (Bills are made of some kind of plastic(?) have seethrough windows in parts with designs on them can't be ripped or cut, don't wrinkle etc.)
The float issue is also understandable if it was one shop in the middle of nowhere, but when it is in the middle of a mall???

Ah well, I prefer digital to analogue money anyway, it's a lot lighter :P
jahcs,Apr 7 2005, 11:35 AM Wrote:From the treasury website:
clicky
edit: Makes me wonder if the Post Office would have to accept a giant bag of pennies as payment since they are a Federal Institution...
[right][snapback]73329[/snapback][/right]
While I haven't heard of this being used on the post office, every now and then there is a news story about someone who paied their taxes in pennies.
whyBish,Apr 15 2005, 07:24 PM Wrote:The float issue is also understandable if it was one shop in the middle of nowhere, but when it is in the middle of a mall???
[right][snapback]74133[/snapback][/right]

Even big stores in malls like to keep the cash in the tills to a minimum, for obvious reasons. Also, if it was at the beginning of the day or just after a shift change the cashier might not have had the ability to make change for you.

That being said, some stores just won't accept high-value currency as a matter of policy. Canadian money is pretty tough to counterfeit accurately, but that doesn't stop people from colour-copying it. Sure, these fakes look really awful to most people, but companies have to protect themselves from the bored 16-year old cashiers they hire to scan your goods.