Inexpensive Laptop for my son
Alram,May 11 2005, 02:12 AM Wrote:I am a bit nervous about assembling it as all I have done in the past with hardware upgrades is add RAM, PCI cards and hard drives.  Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted and probably ask for advice.
[right][snapback]76933[/snapback][/right]

It shouldn't be that bad since you've already done those three. The hardest part is usually attaching crap stuff to the motherboard, like PC Speaker, HDD Light, Power Switch, and Reset Button. Just follow the MB directions carefully and you should have it :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Walkiry,May 11 2005, 09:43 AM Wrote:Alternatively, you could take a look at http://www.linux-laptop.net/ if you don't plan on doing much gaming. Using Linux and Open Office you can save quite a bit, and, funnily enough, Intel integrated graphics chips have excellent open source drivers.
[right][snapback]76960[/snapback][/right]
Thanks for the suggestion, but
1. The stuff has been ordered
2. I am not fond of Linux. I have used it at work and installed it once at home. I suppose I would feel differently if I knew more, but I don't want to invest the time.
3. I agree that Open Office is a nice program. Definitely an excellent alternative to MS Office.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,May 11 2005, 04:12 PM Wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but
1. The stuff has been ordered
2. I am not fond of Linux. I have used it at work and installed it once at home. I suppose I would feel differently if I knew more, but I don't want to invest the time.
3. I agree that Open Office is a nice program. Definitely an excellent  alternative to MS Office.
[right][snapback]76967[/snapback][/right]

Of course those are good reasons (specially #1 ;) ), but as far as time goes, if you're using Firefox, Thunderbird and Open Office you're already halfway there. Keep using open source applications and before you know it you won't realize it if someone replaces XP with KDE and windows with linux in your box ;)