How to combat writer's block?
TheDragoon,Apr 1 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:I forget where it was that I read this, but I've seen several different articles/stories/some sort of written work about authors who actually did comparisons of what they wrote in times when they felt they had writer's block versus what they wrote when the writing came easily.  In every one of them, the authors decided that their writing was no different, that their writing level was the same no matter how they felt about it while they were doing it. 

Personally, I've had plenty of papers I've written that came easily that I would read the next day and decide they weren't any good.  On the other hand, there have been times that the writing was really hard for me but the end results were great!  I think that our perception, as we write, is not really indicative of how the result is going to come out.

Therefore, my best suggestion would be to ignore how you feel about your "writing mood" and just start working!  :)

If you happen to remember where you read it, I'd be interesting in knowing.

I too have experienced the 'easy' paper that turns out bad. Or the hard paper that turned out great. It'd just be nice to read a real case study of this. :)

Cheers,

Munk
Occhidiangela,Mar 31 2005, 02:59 PM Wrote::lol:

I learned, over the years, to write the introduction or the abstract last, after I finished the body of the paper.  Then I write the conclusion, or summary, after the intro to make sure they both tie together.  This prevents some extra nug work if I changed my mind or the approach a bit during the creative process: I don't have to keep changing the intro to see if I have to change it.

To each his own.

Occhi
[right][snapback]72621[/snapback][/right]
I had one of the best composition 101 profs when I was first in college. He was a straight shooting, no bull#$%& guy. So, when combined with english composition made for a very clear understanding of what was and what was not good composition.

Here is what I learned;

a) First clearly writing out what the purpose of the composition. This is not a part of your paper, just a clear statement of objective (e.g. "Present the leading arguments for and against reinstituting the draft") This should give you an idea of how you want to structure the entire paper.

b) Know your audience. If you want to get a good grade, understand who your audience is. Like it or not, it's hard for a professor to give an A to a paper who's position is contrary to their own. Yeah, it bites. But, like it or not the workplace is that way as well. Only, they don't give you a D, they just give it back to you all marked up with red pen. If you want to express your real opinion on something, make a blog, or do it in the Lounge, or send in a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.

c) Believe in the magic of 3 to 5 -- people tend to find things complicated if broken into more that 5 parts, so do not exceed 5 as a rule for the number of concepts within any part of your document. Three is better.

d) Outline. Jot down the major salient sections, and key points, phrases, words whatever free flow of ideas about each section -- if you don't know what the salient sections should be, well, then you need to do more research about the topic. As Occhi said, save the introduction and conclusion for last, focus on the papers main body first.

e) Flesh it out section by section. Each section should stand on it's own as a composition unit. Write more than you need. If you are dryed up on one section set it aside and do a different one for awhile. Usually these assignments give an artificial # of pages minimum requirement. After editing and rewriting for clarity you will squeeze many pages out of your paper. So, better to have 10% or so extra to give you some squish room. I find its easier to remove stuff, than to fit in more after you are completed.

f) Edit the heck out of it. Read it outloud. Anything cumbersome to say, is also cumbersome to read. Make sure you have achieved your objective of a).

Hope that helps.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Taking a walk is my favorite. Or sleeping on it (assuming the paper's not due the next day, that's never a good idea... though I do it so often you wouldn't think I realized that).
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek