A 'Diablo 2 to Diablo' TC
Is there a total conversion for Diablo II that transforms it into Diablo I, or better yet, includes whatever's good from the first Diablo inside the second-that is, spell books, lotsa shrines, random shrines, more random monsters and quests, cursed items etc.? Thanks.
Good night.
Ebon,Mar 30 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:Is there a total conversion for Diablo II that transforms it into Diablo I, or better yet, includes whatever's good from the first Diablo inside the second-that is, spell books, lotsa shrines, random shrines, more random monsters and quests, cursed items etc.? Thanks.
[right][snapback]72450[/snapback][/right]

First, to answer the question: I've never seen one. Doesn't mean there isn't, but if there is, I haven't found it. One of the possible reasons being the games are very different from eachother, and if you like the original Diablo, it runs just fine in XP, so why convert the second to the first if not necessary? (Now if you wanted a LoTR Diablo 2 mod...).

Second, about the shrines... Was there a random shrine in Diablo? I remember that you had to memorize or print out a list of shrine names, or you'd end up pushing the wrong one, don't remember a random. If there was one (probably, been years since I played it), that would definately be cool to bring back.
Shrine effects were a lot more random than they are in D2 and were a lot less obvious; but the shrine name did correspond to a particular effect.

Anyways... There is a Back to Hellfire mod over at the Phrozen Keep, but it's not a "total" conversion. There's also a somewhat new mod there called Median 2 that brings back the Chain Lightning and Apocalypse skills from D1, and an Ice Shackles skill that's basically Stone Curse. Not much, but it does bring a feeling of nostalgia.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
SetBuilder,Mar 30 2005, 11:34 PM Wrote:One of the possible reasons being the games are very different from eachother, and if you like the original Diablo, it runs just fine in XP, so why convert the second to the first if not necessary? (Now if you wanted a LoTR Diablo 2 mod...).
[right][snapback]72493[/snapback][/right]
The idea is to combine the best of each one. D2 has gems, horadric cube, set items and other combinations, while D1 has better monsters (in MP), who don't die in 1-2 shots, hidden shrines and all.

SetBuilder,Mar 30 2005, 11:34 PM Wrote:Second, about the shrines... Was there a random shrine in Diablo? I remember that you had to memorize or print out a list of shrine names, or you'd end up pushing the wrong one, don't remember a random. If there was one (probably, been years since I played it), that would definately be cool to bring back.
[right][snapback]72493[/snapback][/right]
Random shrines in D1 are Goat Shrines and Cauldrons, if you remember. 3 bad variants already made the masses avoid them (they lower mana by 10%). :)
Good night.
To Ebon.
I never meet that before, if you know PLS tell me. ;) thanks!
*hi~!I am John. 21years old. I am a chinese. creay about Diablo2!
my yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hallo. Ich bin John. 21jahr alt. Ich bin ein Chinese.
Meine yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*hola!Soy John.Soy chino.
esto es mi yahoo messager:diablo_john11
*大家好!我叫林洵。中国人,21岁。是暗黑破坏神的忠实玩家。
我的雅虎:diablo_john11。我的QQ:408687898
*お早うございます!私は林询と申します!中国人です。。。二十一歲です!
私の雅虎:diablo_john11 私のQQ:408687898(中国地区限り)
Ebon,Mar 31 2005, 01:44 AM Wrote:The idea is to combine the best of each one. D2 has gems, horadric cube, set items and other combinations, while D1 has better monsters (in MP), who don't die in 1-2 shots, hidden shrines and all.
Random shrines in D1 are Goat Shrines and Cauldrons, if you remember. 3 bad variants already made the masses avoid them (they lower mana by 10%). :)
[right][snapback]72562[/snapback][/right]

Shrines to avoid are the FOS shrines: Fascinating, Ornate, Sacred.

The mnemonic tip to remembering these is

Find Other Shrines. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Wyrm,Mar 31 2005, 04:16 AM Wrote:Anyways... There is a Back to Hellfire mod over at the Phrozen Keep, but it's not a "total" conversion. There's also a somewhat new mod there called Median 2 that brings back the Chain Lightning and Apocalypse skills from D1, and an Ice Shackles skill that's basically Stone Curse. Not much, but it does bring a feeling of nostalgia.

It is impossible to make a good D1 conversion. First, the level generation routines are different, so you can't make the levels exactly like D1. Second, forget trying to implement certain spells in D2. A fire splash spell that does more damage to the target than to the splash is surprisingly hard, still doable, but will almost certainly screw with items with magic damage reduction. Flame wave, D1 bone spirit and resurrect are right out. Blocking spells at 0% resistance? Lol.

Shrine effects are still hardcoded. Forget it.

For all intents and purposes, a D1 conversion is impossible. Sorry!
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
The mod in beta by Onyx "Back to Hellfire" is the closest I have seen to what you are looking for. You can go here for more info-

http://www.planetdiablo.com/dom/bth/
Hm, it does look interesting, but I have to find a way for it to work.
Good night.
Brother Laz,Apr 4 2005, 11:03 AM Wrote:It is impossible to make a good D1 conversion. First, the level generation routines are different, so you can't make the levels exactly like D1. Second, forget trying to implement certain spells in D2. A fire splash spell that does more damage to the target than to the splash is surprisingly hard, still doable, but will almost certainly screw with items with magic damage reduction. Flame wave, D1 bone spirit and resurrect are right out. Blocking spells at 0% resistance? Lol.

Shrine effects are still hardcoded. Forget it.

For all intents and purposes, a D1 conversion is impossible. Sorry!
[right][snapback]72917[/snapback][/right]
Heh, I hope you didn't take any of what I said in a negative way, I've been enjoying the mod during the little time I've had to play it, I was just pointing out those skills as the "similar to D1 skills." (side note: it took me a bit of time to make the connection until I checked your sig)

Anyways... about Flame Wave, would it be possible to use something like this to make a pseudo flame wave? Provided you could set the fire duration to something like .4 seconds. Bear in mind this idea was brought to you by someone who couldn't figure out how to change the Lightning Fury graphic back to the old fps-killing-but very pretty version of old.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Negative way? Huh? You didn't say anything bad... btw, Shackles was Stone Curse until right before release. Changed it because of cold resist etc. and because of that pretty freeze graphic.

Btw, patch v0.9beta is out. ;)

···sorry but while the FO move function thing is how most of my missile trails work, as well as the continuous damage from Lightning Cascade [or more esoterically, Ghost Arrow's damage, inflicted by a trail of invisible missiles], and it can cook and clean for you, it cannot make a flame wave. ;)

Occhidiangela,Mar 31 2005, 09:12 PM Wrote:The mnemonic tip to remembering these is

Find Other Shrines. &nbsp; :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]72625[/snapback][/right]

But is it the Sacred, Secluded, Spiritual, Spooky or Stone shrine you should avoid then? :P
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Ebon,Mar 30 2005, 06:22 PM Wrote:includes whatever's good from the first Diablo inside the second
[right][snapback]72450[/snapback][/right]
I don't think that there's something like that out there. But if you were willing to try it vice-versa, I can recommend the 'The Dark' mod for Hellfire. It has running, better item picking up and regeneration of life/mana from DII. Also it's a good edge harder: clicky.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,Apr 20 2005, 06:54 PM Wrote:I don't think that there's something like that out there. But if you were willing to try it vice-versa, I can recommend the 'The Dark' mod for Hellfire. It has running, better item picking up and regeneration of life/mana from DII. Also it's a good edge harder: clicky.

Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]74586[/snapback][/right]
The Dark is nice, very nice, but I need Hellfire first. :P Not very easy to order from here, since I need proper cards, and they aren't very very common.
Good night.
What patch is the aforementioned Hellfire mod (for D2) working with?
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Yes.