Literary In-joke In Tarren Mill
Hello! I've been quietly watching these boards for a few weeks now, and found something in WoW that I felt you guys might appreciate. [Hey, I didn't say it'd be well-hidden.] If anyone wants to know who to blame for my ending the silence, I'm Mirajj's girlfriend. *grin*

So, I play a level 23 Undead Warlock, and I'm running around in the Hillsbrad Foothills right now. On the top of one of my quests, recieved during one of the many raids on Tarren Mill, which meant that I hadn't gotten a good look at the name of the Deathguard that handed it over, was written, "Deathguard Samsa wants 30 Hillsbrad Human Skulls."

Of course, my immediate thought was, "Yeah, and Deathguard Gregor wants me to find him a cockroach."
Tank for hire.
Taakal,Mar 30 2005, 01:51 AM Wrote:Of course, my immediate thought was, "Yeah, and Deathguard Gregor wants me to find him a cockroach."
[right][snapback]72360[/snapback][/right]

I wonder if that was the same Gregor Samsa that ... never mind.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
It's a shame I never went to Tarren Mill - that's a fantastic use of a Kafka reference. This is proof that Blizzard is capable of using much, much more than just pop culture.

Anyone spot any other allusions to literary classics? Now that I know they're in there, I'll have to look...
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
Thawwing Light,Mar 29 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:It's a shame I never went to Tarren Mill - that's a fantastic use of a Kafka reference. This is proof that Blizzard is capable of using much, much more than just pop culture.

Anyone spot any other allusions to literary classics? Now that I know they're in there, I'll have to look...
[right][snapback]72371[/snapback][/right]
Hemet Nesingwary = Ernest Hemingway
Green Hills of Stranglethorn/Green Hills of Africa
I take no credit, this has been widely known for a while...I don't know of any others but I'd bet almost anything there's a Frankenstein reference somewhere.
Thawwing Light,Mar 30 2005, 05:14 AM Wrote:Anyone spot any other allusions to literary classics? Now that I know they're in there, I'll have to look...
[right][snapback]72371[/snapback][/right]

There are pointers everywhere one looks. :)

Take a peek at the bankers in Ironforge.

In Loch Modan there is a flyer named Bingles that has crashed .....

Those from the top of my head, there are more of them.

Grimjack
As well, there was that fellow in a lone cabin in the village of Darkshire, who's name, while I can't recall it, was a very easily recognizable take on Walt Whitman.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Mar 30 2005, 11:35 AM Wrote:As well, there was that fellow in a lone cabin in the village of Darkshire, who's name, while I can't recall it, was a very easily recognizable take on Walt Whitman.
[right][snapback]72443[/snapback][/right]

And the human male joke about the bracelet....
--Mav
Taakal,Mar 29 2005, 08:51 PM Wrote:So, I play a level 23 Undead Warlock, and I'm running around in the Hillsbrad Foothills right now. On the top of one of my quests, recieved during one of the many raids on Tarren Mill, which meant that I hadn't gotten a good look at the name of the Deathguard that handed it over, was written, "Deathguard Samsa wants 30 Hillsbrad Human Skulls."

Of course, my immediate thought was, "Yeah, and Deathguard Gregor wants me to find him a cockroach."
[right][snapback]72360[/snapback][/right]
I kid you not. One night in Tarren Mill a fellow party member and myself appeared to turn invisible for a minute, except for our names moving about on the ground. The 3rd member of our group claimed we had turned into cockroaches. This occurred without warning or explanation.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Mavfin,Mar 30 2005, 12:46 PM Wrote:And the human male joke about the bracelet....
[right][snapback]72444[/snapback][/right]
That reminds me of this idea I have for a great movie...
The error occurred on line -1.