OK, is this really an issue?
whyBish,Mar 30 2005, 03:33 PM Wrote:Yup, my dad had black hair before he taught me to drive.  He is now almost completely grey  :P
[right][snapback]72519[/snapback][/right]

He's lucky. My dad didn't teach me how to drive. Not being there turned him half bald and the other half gray. Well, that among other fun things I did as a teenager.
Sorry, but this is exactly why getting into a debate over this issue is futile. The gun control advocates always point to the guns, not the source of the violence. My point simply was that you have not solved your violence problem. I agree, the US has a bigger violence problem, and for over 200 years has always has had a bigger violence problem than Europe.

Reading the newspaper of my medium sized city, with below average per capita murder rate, here are my observations; Murders can be catagorized in three broad categories; Familiar, gang(incl. drugs/crime) related, and random. By far the most are accounted for by gang/drug turf wars, or domestic violence, and consequently these are the ones society can do something about. There are very few random, serial killer type psycho murders but these grab all the headlines. There is a direct correlation between murder rate and population density, so lumping the entire US into one ball combines the extremely high rates of Chicago, New York and LA with little places like Des Moines Iowa, or Milwaukee.

Guns are most convenient for killing, but removing them will not address the causes of killing.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I really dont so this much if ever - "What your post has done is given him an opportunity to complain about how he is treated here by regulars".
I think youll be hard pressed to find a post where I did this.

I do take exception when when people claim that my spelling and typing errors mean that my reasoning was flawed. But that didnt happen here.
I also take exception when people make personal attacks - but that only because Im not allowed to make personal attacks.
Obviously the problem would be exceptions, recent history clearly shows most kids, like you do fine.

I think the case when trouble is most likely to happen is a kid put under unussual stress. Kids brains are not fully developed and occassionly a healthy kid will make very bad choices when stressed. Any type of conditioning has potential to rear its head in such a situation.
Regarding Grand Theft Auto: Even if you were just to use it as a driving sim, you are driving a stolen car. And if anything happens to that car, you are going to get out and actively go about stealing another one. The story lines of the games tend to follow gangs and organized crime. There is almost nothing you can do in the game that would actually qualify as legal. So yes, I would say the games encourage antisocial behavior as a means to win. They don't always encourage *stupid* antisocial behavior, but they are basically non-linear action games where you have fun playing the role of a criminal in a real life setting. I can see something that parents wouldn't be eager to get their kids.

Regarding Boyz in the Hood: The mature themes aren't suitable for youngsters, but to me this movie did not glorify violence or encourage antisocial behavior. It's a pretty somber, pretty down to earth movie.
(edited addition):

>So yes, I would say the games encourage antisocial behavior as a means to win. They don't always encourage *stupid* antisocial behavior, but they are basically non-linear action games where you have fun playing the role of a criminal in a real life setting.

The non linear aspect aside, personally I see something like an illegal street racing game can qualify as well, yet I don't see the same type of GTA furor over it.
http://store.computerandvideogames.com/p...sp?id=4446

Just my own opinion, but I've seen more illegal street racing happening in my neighbourhood than the stuff that's touted in GTA. (I'm not saying it never happens, it's just more likely for me to see 2 buttheads revving their riced up Civics at a stoplight at 2 AM than a carjacking.) So much so that there was a police crackdown on it some time ago. I'm not suggesting there is a direct link or 'Need For Speed' type games are responsible for the dingus who treats public roads as their own personal race tracks.

I'm just somewhat confused over some people's inconsistency over the grading of what is a good\bad influence over players.

>I can see something that parents wouldn't be eager to get their kids.

On this I definitely agree. Though I would imagine it would be quite hard if you have a kid and most of their friends get to play it. (Hey as a kid I tried that line with my parents too.) Not to mention potentially they could always go to their friend's house and play it there instead. Hopefully if I ever have a kid of my own they'll quickly understand between what is acceptable in real life vs fantasy.

>Regarding Boyz in the Hood: The mature themes aren't suitable for youngsters, but to me this movie did not glorify violence or encourage antisocial behavior. It's a pretty somber, pretty down to earth movie.

That was what I was trying to say, with less success I guess. Back when I was in highschool, one of my history teacher was trying to arrange my class to go see it in the theatres. He couldn't do it because either the principal or some of the school board members saw one commercial, saw the name Ice Cube and adamantly said no. (Didn't matter that we were imo, mature enough to handle it. But I guess Cube's 'reputation' still preceeded him at the time. This was obviously before he starred in "Are We There Yet".)
Ghostiger,Mar 30 2005, 09:12 PM Wrote:I really dont so this much if ever - "What your post has done is given him an opportunity to complain about how he is treated here by regulars".
I think youll be hard pressed to find a post where I did this.

I do take exception when when people claim that my spelling and typing errors mean that my reasoning was flawed.  But that didnt happen here.
I also take exception when people make personal attacks - but that only because Im not allowed to make personal attacks.
[right][snapback]72545[/snapback][/right]

I can either do a forum search for all Ghostiger posts, and show where you comment on inconsistent application of behavior standards -- as your last line does, again -- or I can say "You are part of our community, Ghostiger, for better and for worse." :D

Quote:I do take exception when when people claim that my spelling and typing errors mean that my reasoning was flawed.

I think you understand norms, and behavior in social groups. Those who do not conform to group norms and standards will now and again here about it from other members of the group. It's a people thing.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Please do the search.
When people call me "stupid" etc, I tend to become upset.
I also dont like it when people switch from discussing something with me to attacking my spelling as a dodge such as "Anyone who spells like that doesnt know what they are talking about."

But when people just complain about my typos I tend to take it instride or say very little in response. I suppose if you went back to the old LL you might find me saying anything, but Im talking about the curent LL that we have had for the last 3 years(surely you werent chiding me for posts made4 or 5 years ago Occhi?)
Ghostiger,Mar 31 2005, 02:06 PM Wrote:Please do the search.  
When people call me "stupid" etc, I tend to become upset.
I also dont like it when people switch from discussing something with me to attacking my spelling as a dodge such as  "Anyone who spells like that doesnt know what they are talking about."

But when people just complain about my typos I tend to take it instride or say very little in response. I suppose if you went back to the old LL you might find me saying anything, but Im talking about the curent LL that we have had for the last 3 years(surely you werent chiding me for posts made4 or 5 years ago Occhi?)
[right][snapback]72624[/snapback][/right]

No, no 4 year old Ghosts, Ghoest9. :) Within the past six months I have read posts of yours where you comment on unequal application of standards on the WoW boards. I will not waste my time on the search, as signalled by the grinning smilie after the "you are part or our community" option: the option I choose. It was an "or" statement.

If you feel that "complain" was too strong a word in my post to Deebye, which was a post aimed at heading off PvP set of posts, OK, "comment on" is a more neutral depiction. Not splitting hairs over this anymore.

Occhi

Edit for silly mistakes.
In Memory of Pete
Treesh,Mar 30 2005, 06:10 PM Wrote::rolleyes: Parents are people too Occhi and since I was speaking about parents teaching their kids bad habits, it was more pertinent to say "parents" rather than "people".
[right][snapback]72524[/snapback][/right]

Parents are people too. Huzzah! I now have concurrence from a reputable source. I can't wait until I show my kids. I keep trying to tell them that, often rewarded by stares of incredulity. The hardest one for them to believe is that I was ever a teenager. (Glad I am out of that era.)

I may be wrong in this assumption, but I think that most folks who become parents tend to start driving more carefully since, junior is in the car.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Different issue IMO. But Ill drop it.

Can we agree that if someone really doesnt understand what I said because of an error on my part - I dont mind if they ask.
Occhidiangela,Mar 31 2005, 05:47 PM Wrote:I may be wrong in this assumption, but I think that most folks who become parents tend to start driving more carefully since, junior is in the car. 

Occhi
[right][snapback]72639[/snapback][/right]

<_< And I thought I was the master of wishful thinking. I see evidence to the contrary all the time. :o
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Occhidiangela,Mar 28 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:My son,&nbsp; 12, saw "Troy," but Braveheart is not on the "he can watch it" list.
[right][snapback]72155[/snapback][/right]
I just have to ask this: what's wrong with Braveheart?

It's one of my favourite movies.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Ghostiger,Mar 31 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:Different issue IMO. But Ill drop it.

Can we agree that if someone really doesnt&nbsp; understand what I said because of an error on my part - I dont mind if they ask.
[right][snapback]72655[/snapback][/right]

Of course! We should all ask when we don't understand. I will raise my hand in guilt for assuming I understand, on more than one occasion, and going off with misunderstanding as my point of departure.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Yogi_Baar,Apr 1 2005, 07:06 AM Wrote:I just have to ask this: what's wrong with Braveheart?

It's one of my favourite movies.
[right][snapback]72670[/snapback][/right]

One of my favorites too, regardless of the liberties it took with historical fact. :D

My son is 12. Mrs Occhi and I consider the ketchup count a bit high, and a number of the adult situations to be such that he can wait a year or two. We have it on VHS, it will be there when he is, in our judgment, "ready."

I asked him if he wanted to see The Passion of the Christ this Easter season, or wait until next year. The re release has shortened the flogging scenes and shortens the film by 6 or 7 minutes: it is still an intense film. (It was well made, but IMO a bit longish, its pacing weakened by the interminable close ups of faces staring into the camera.)

Most of the other kids at his church youth group have seen it, but after he talked to his (older) sister about the film, he said he'd rather wait a year.

Patrick hated The Hulk, mostly due to the giant dogs and some of the other gratuitous violence. He loves his dog, and I think it bothered him that Hulk was killing dogs, and how poorly the dogs were treated in general. I liked The Hulk overall, but also did not care the mutant dog thing,

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Has anyone seen this?

This seems the appropriate topic to bring it up in.

I also want justice, someone stole my Sword too! :P
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
When my son was young I used this site http://www.screenit.com/search_movies.html

It gives not only a plot summary and review, but also a detailed analysis and count of drug use, profanity, sex/nudity, smoking, Disrespectful/Bad Attitude, Frightening/Tense Scenes, Guns/Weapons, etc. I found it to be a valuable resource which helped me to make decisions aboutwhich movies were appropriate for my child to see.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
maniajk,Apr 1 2005, 09:10 AM Wrote:Has anyone seen this?

This seems the appropriate topic to bring it up in.

I also want justice, someone stole my Sword too! :P
[right][snapback]72678[/snapback][/right]

Discussed on The Crossroads Forum

:)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 1 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:Discussed on The Crossroads Forum

:)

Occhi
[right][snapback]72680[/snapback][/right]

Ops, sorry didn't mean to double post. :blush:

Don't play WOW so don't visit The Crossroads.
I'll try to be more throughl before I post next time. ;)
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Apr 1 2005, 09:34 AM Wrote:Ops, sorry didn't mean to double post. :blush:

Don't play WOW so don't visit The Crossroads.
I'll try to be more throughl before I post next time. ;)
[right][snapback]72683[/snapback][/right]

We should have probably moved it to the Lounge. Not your bad. B)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete