Molson Kick Beer
I bought some of the new caffeinated beer to test out this weekend at the cottage on some of my beer-swilling err... beer drinking friends.

Comments as follows:

Palatable.

Noticable caffeine hit from it.

Strikes fear into hardened beer drinkers, as they contemplate that much caffeine in their systems.

Consensus is that it would be an addition to the beer fridge, not a subsititute for the normal beer, and that room should be made for sufficient of the regular beer first (which can be an issue when there actually has to be food in the fridge too). :P

Most agree would still have uses for that mid-afternoon moment on a hot summer day when the drowsies are starting, and it is too hot to contemplate coffee or tea. Also might be useful for the first beer after dinner.

The nineteen year old drank about six on Friday night and found himself wide awake with no companions still awake at 3:00 a.m. :whistling:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Mar 28 2005, 01:02 PM Wrote:The nineteen year old drank about six on Friday night and found himself wide awake with no companions still awake at 3:00 a.m.    :whistling:
[right][snapback]72147[/snapback][/right]

What are the odds that a wide awake drunk will think his being awake is enough mitigation to drive the car?

How does all of this square with the alcohol impairment model assuming only the impact on the central nervous system of alcohol?

Is this the new "last Call" drink?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Wow, this is the first I've heard of a caffinated beer. That just sounds like a bad idea. WOW.

Caffeine is a drug in itself, now they're mixing Alcohol with it? Wow again. Who's bright idea was this? I could just imagine the marketing guys:

Marketing guy #1: "What are the drawbacks of people getting drunk off of beer?"
Marketing guy #2: "Well, they get sloppy and tired."
guy #1: "How can we keep them sharp? How can we keep them awake longer so they can drink more?"
guy #2: "Coffee keeps me sharp, and awake."
guy #1: *DING*
guy #2: "We're both going to hell for this."

Two addictions in one! If someone is responsible, of course this beer is just like anything else. For those with addiction management problems, this is either a great boon, or a horrible, inescapable, deseperate, harrowing pit of despair and turmoil.

What's next? Add some THC in it? ;)
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Mar 28 2005, 01:42 PM Wrote:What's next? Add some THC in it? ;)
[right][snapback]72156[/snapback][/right]

I would guess, synergistic effects aside, that would make the concoction revert back to "it makes you sleepy" potion, since it would be a 2 vs 1 drowsy maker versus picker upper.

To continue your train of thought, when will THC get put into a "Red Bull" type drink. There is no legal brethalizer test for THC on the street to date.

Put fluid in a can, with bubbles, add a chemical, add flavor, sip, hit the clubs, flail about in a mentally impaired state, take the bus/cab/subway/designated driver home. Wake up and brush the wool off of your tongue.

Standard weekend behaviour, I imagine. :lol:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
JustAGuy,Mar 28 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:I could just imagine the marketing guys:

Marketing guy #1: "What are the drawbacks of people getting drunk off of beer?"
Marketing guy #2: "Well, they get sloppy and tired."
guy #1: "How can we keep them sharp? How can we keep them awake longer so they can drink more?"
guy #2: "Coffee keeps me sharp, and awake."
guy #1: *DING*
guy #2: "We're both going to hell for this."
[right][snapback]72156[/snapback][/right]

You assume marketing doesn't already believe they not only live in hell, but don't rule and govern it as well. Rather large assumption, from my experience.

Occhidiangela,Mar 28 2005, 11:53 AM Wrote:To continue your train of thought, when will THC get put into a "Red Bull" type drink. There is no legal brethalizer test for THC on the street to date.

Occhi
[right][snapback]72158[/snapback][/right]

Too much zing. I'm thinking that adding it to Mountain Dew would be far better. Hell, 90% of the stoners in the world drink Mountain Dew already anyway. Good way to get at the other 10% of the market!

So what brand is this caffinated beer? Is is just like normal beer, is it flavored? (Edit: Just read topic title again. I assume the name of the beer is molson kick beer? Feeling like a retard now. They have a website maybe?)

Need more info! (BTW, I hate beer. Straight shots and mixed drinks are my poison, but everything is worth trying once.)
JustAGuy,Mar 28 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:Wow, this is the first I've heard of a caffinated beer. That just sounds like a bad idea.  WOW.

Caffeine is a drug in itself, now they're mixing Alcohol with it? Wow again. Who's bright idea was this? [right][snapback]72156[/snapback][/right]

I hate to break it to you, but mixing alcohol and caffeine is hardly new. Have you never had an after dinner coffee with a liqueur on the side? Or poured right in it?

I know I was not original about it, and I have been doing this for years. Dooleys and coffee go incredibly well together. :wub:

Edit: spelling :(
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Mar 28 2005, 03:16 PM Wrote:I hate to break it to you, but mixing alchohol and caffeine is hardly new.

I must agree with ShadowHM here. Alcohol and caffiene is hardly a new combination for the younger generation either. I'm a few weeks shy of my 20th birthday, but as an undergrad student at a large private school, I'm no stranger to the weekend "social drinking" scene.

I think Mithy can offer support in my defense when I say caffiene and drinking is far from anything new. Red Bulls and Vodka have been a favorite of kids since Red Bull first hit the market.

But as its been mentioned earlier in this post, an upper and a downer at once don't mix too well. Physically caffiene and alcohol makes a lot of people I've known lose their cookies very early on in the night.

And if the beer indeed is marketed towards getting people to drink more... I'm not too sure how well that would really work. The young crowd will drink anything that is cheap and in large quantities. I shutter to think about how many 30 racks of Pabst Blue Ribbon or Natural Light are drank each weekend.

I suppose my point is if some one wants to drink to their limit, they are going to do it, caffiene helped or not.

Prices vary immensely area to area, especially over borders, so I won't ask directly the cost, but: ShadowHM is the new Molson Kick more expensive than its counterparts?

My hunch is that it will be. Sure, in the short term kids will probably have their fun with it. But from my point of view, kids will always resort back to cheap energy drinks and alcohol.

It is a problem, one I am not trying to defend. But its one that's already there. Molson hasn't created a new beast.

Cheers,

Munk
Anyone remember Buzz beer from the Drew Carey show? Though iirc it was coffee flavored beer they made. It was also marketed as the beer that buzzed you and sobered you at the same time. ;)
Tal,Mar 28 2005, 02:55 PM Wrote:Anyone remember Buzz beer from the Drew Carey show? Though iirc it was coffee flavored beer they made. It was also marketed as the beer that buzzed you and sobered you at the same time. ;)
[right][snapback]72169[/snapback][/right]
Some of us do. ;) Yes, I read far too many threads and remember far too many useless things while forgetting the more important things. :blush:

Edit: Better link. Won't mess with other people's cookies affecting thread view. Or shouldn't anyway.

Edit2: Bah. Here's the link for those using outline view since the other one really only works for standard view. Feh. I dunno. You try to be nice with links and this is what you get. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Munkay,Mar 28 2005, 03:49 PM Wrote:Prices vary immensely area to area, especially over borders, so I won't ask directly the cost, but: ShadowHM is the new Molson Kick more expensive than its counterparts?

The price per case (I don't go to bars, so I buy my beer at The Beer Store™) is the same as my regular brand.

Quote:My hunch is that it will be.  Sure, in the short term kids will probably have their fun with it.  But from my point of view, kids will always resort back to cheap energy drinks and alcohol.

There are cheaper beers available than my regular brand. :)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

Munkay,Mar 28 2005, 03:49 PM Wrote:I think Mithy can offer support in my defense when I say caffiene and drinking is far from anything new.  Red Bulls and Vodka have been a favorite of kids since Red Bull first hit the market.

Consider said defense given! Red Bull and vodka is quite common. One of my personal favorite drinks is a Jager Bomb - Red Bull and Jagermeister. Caffeine and alcohol is a rather common mixture. The caffeine doesn't always have the effects people expect it to however. Yes, it does keep you up and aware for a while, but pretty soon the alcohol catches up and you're going to pass out (given the proper volume of course) no matter how much caffeine you have in your system. A lot of people I have talked to expected the caffeine to keep them conscious no matter what, and it just doesn't work that way.

Budweiser also has a caffeinated beer out. The taste was moderate to bad, was more expensive than it should have been, and was just on the whole quite underwhelming.

Quote:But as its been mentioned earlier in this post, an upper and a downer at once don't mix too well.  Physically caffiene and alcohol makes a lot of people I've known lose their cookies very early on in the night.

One guy who drank quite a bit of it got pretty sick later in the night... but then again he was sitting on a keg drinking straight from the tap in between filling other people up, so who knows what the actual cause was :)

I only had one myself, and I fully admit that it just didn't sit as well. I'll just stick with regular alcohol thankyouverymuch.

Quote:And if the beer indeed is marketed towards getting people to drink more... I'm not too sure how well that would really work.  The young crowd will drink anything that is cheap and in large quantities.  I shutter to think about how many 30 racks of Pabst Blue Ribbon or Natural Light are drank each weekend.

A local bar around here has pitchers of Natty Light for a dollar. /shudder

Quote:I'm thinking that adding it to Mountain Dew would be far better. Hell, 90% of the stoners in the world drink Mountain Dew already anyway. Good way to get at the other 10% of the market!

I can't imagine that any beverage infused with pot would taste good. Ever tried the water at the bottom of a hookah after a bowl? Sweet jesus it's horrible.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 28 2005, 04:42 PM Wrote:I can't imagine that any beverage infused with pot would taste good. Ever tried the water at the bottom of a hookah after a bowl? Sweet jesus it's horrible.
[right][snapback]72192[/snapback][/right]

That's carbon and other leftovers from burning a plant and filtering it through water. Not to mention some drool, and a bit of filtered lighter fluid. And then consider that most people don't clean the hookah often enough, so the water is growing is own set of nastyness as well. Of course it tastes nasty.

The little crystals on marijuana are nearly 100% THC. Take as many of those as possible (a trillion would be good) and melt them. Add the resulting liquid to any drink you want, or food for that matter. Adds almost no flavor.

On a side note, those little crystals dissolve. As a prank, if you can keep out all green, you can pass it off as natural sugar to a coffee drinker...
SetBuilder,Mar 28 2005, 08:05 PM Wrote:That's carbon and other leftovers from burning a plant and filtering it through water. Not to mention some drool, and a bit of filtered lighter fluid. And then consider that most people don't clean the hookah often enough, so the water is growing is own set of nastyness as well. Of course it tastes nasty.

The comment was typed with tongue in cheek :) However, we do indeed take pride in how clean we keep our hookah ;)

Quote:The little crystals on marijuana are nearly 100% THC. Take as many of those as possible (a trillion would be good) and melt them. Add the resulting liquid to any drink you want, or food for that matter. Adds almost no flavor.

On a side note, those little crystals dissolve. As a prank, if you can keep out all green, you can pass it off as natural sugar to a coffee drinker...

You sir, are a genius. It's pretty amazing with some of the stuff you can get away with on my campus though, I'm not even sure if you'd need to hide the green.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Whatever happened to plain old Rye/Rum/Scotch and Coke?

ShadowHM,Mar 28 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:There are cheaper beers available than my regular brand.  :)
[right][snapback]72188[/snapback][/right]

Have you tried Bohemian yet? It's brewed by Molson and a 24 pack sells for $26.40 (inc. deposit). I waver between this and Lakeport Honey Lager (same price). There are some damned decent "value" beers available at The Beer Store (not Luckey Lager -- bleeecchhh!). In fact, I'm drinking a Bohemian right now :whistling: (we need a drinking smiley).
ShadowHM,Mar 28 2005, 04:16 PM Wrote:I hate to break it to you, but mixing alcohol and caffeine is hardly new.  Have you never had an after dinner coffee with a liqueur on the side?  Or poured right in it?

I know I was not original about it, and I have been doing this for years.    Dooleys and coffee go incredibly well together.    :wub:
Edit:  spelling  :(
[right][snapback]72164[/snapback][/right]

Come to think of it, it's clearly prevalent; rum and coke for example. But it's just something I never thought of in beer before. I don't drink mixed drinks, just straight shots and Coronas for me. Actually, it's been a while since I've had anything, really... I bet the next time I do go and grab a cold one at the bar, I'll get mighty sleepy, and I'll probably think of this caffinated beer. Marketing guys win again...
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
:)
DeeBye,Mar 28 2005, 10:14 PM Wrote:Whatever happened to plain old Rye/Rum/Scotch and Coke?
Have you tried Bohemian yet?  It's brewed by Molson and a 24 pack sells for $26.40 (inc. deposit).  I waver between this and Lakeport Honey Lager (same price).  There are some damned decent "value" beers available at The Beer Store (not Luckey Lager -- bleeecchhh!).  In fact, I'm drinking a Bohemian right now  :whistling:  (we need a drinking smiley).
[right][snapback]72212[/snapback][/right]

Sorry DeeBye, I never did like Coca Cola, let alone mixed with booze.

(Well....that is not quite true, but in the interests of trying to forget certain teenaged escapades that had disastrous outcomes, lets just pretend it never happened, ok?)

I have been a Crystal drinker, as the mainstay beer, for a long time. Lakeport Honey Lager did indeed go down nicely when I tried it. So does Corona. Sleemans makes some nice beer too. I could go on.

Ok.... I admit it. I like beer. Not ale. Not every day. But that acquired taste from my university days, when it was all I could afford to drink, has indeed stayed with me. B)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Mar 29 2005, 12:35 AM Wrote:(Well....that is not quite true, but in the interests of trying to forget certain teenaged escapades that had disastrous outcomes, lets just pretend it never happened, ok?)
[right][snapback]72220[/snapback][/right]

You are now obliged to create a new thread.

"Teenage drinking is a bad bad thing,
Oh man, I hate Coca Cola!"

I would have several experiences to share in such a thread.
DeeBye,Mar 28 2005, 11:30 PM Wrote:You are now obliged to create a new thread.

"Teenage drinking is a bad bad thing,
Oh man, I hate Coca Cola!"

I would have several experiences to share in such a thread.
[right][snapback]72222[/snapback][/right]

Mixed drinks have been around ever since someone spilled their whiskey into something else. It all probably began when some nomad on the Steppes of Central Eurasia spilled his fermented goats milk into a cup of regular milk and, after gagging, invented the proto-White Russian. :D

I have been enjoying Irish Coffee for years. Nowadays, Bushmill's Black Bush added to the coffee is the preferred combination. In Italy, the espresso is frequently served "corectto" as in some Amaretto, Zambuco, or Brandy is added to an espresso to "correct" its flavor. A nice Italian taught me that, though I never wrote to thank him: I had him over to the house for a Fajita and margerita party. We discovered that he, like most Italians, is not a heavy drinker. He drinks for a light buzz, not brain death. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete