Macros for healing party members
My principal alt is a priest, who is just hitting the Instance running stage. (Did the Deadmines 3 times yesterday, which might possibly have been overkill). I've got a lot of good advice on playing a priest from these forums, so I thought I would share something in return.

I had been looking to set up some macros that would automatically heal the party member in a given slot, and after some trial and error, I finally worked out how to do it.

[Image: priest_toolbar.jpg]

That's a section of my interface screen. I'm using GypsyMod, which stacks the two new bottom toolbars from the patch on top of Gypsy's existing double-row hotbar. I've got Renew, Flash Heal, and Power Word: Shield macro for each member of the party. Instead of selecting a party member, then selecting the appropriate healing spell, I can just click the appropriate button.

The syntax:

/cast Renew(Rank 3)
/script TargetUnit("party1")

You can replace the first line with the spell of your choice (Renew, Greater Heal, Dispell etc). The party member numbers go from 1 to 4.

I stuck with 3 macros per party member because each spell took up 4 of my macro slots when copied for each party member.

Chris
Has anyone come up with a way to announce who's the recipient of a heal if you heal by mouse-hovering the portraits rather than selecting your party members, casting the spell, and then reselecting the enemy (the G key is the default key binding for that)? Just curious.

Edit: I don't think it can be done, but I'm curious anyway. :)
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 26 2005, 08:22 AM Wrote:Has anyone come up with a way to announce who's the recipient of a heal if you heal by mouse-hovering the portraits rather than selecting your party members, casting the spell, and then reselecting the enemy (the G key is the default key binding for that)?  Just curious.

Edit: I don't think it can be done, but I'm curious anyway. :)
[right][snapback]71970[/snapback][/right]

I don't know of a way that this can be done -- however, for mouse friendly healing in general you may be interested in trying out CastParty (if you don't mind using a mod). It allows you to use left, right, middle, shift, alt, ctrl, etc. to set up different heals on a party member. You should never see yourself target the recipient when you use it.

For example, by default a left click is a "smart" heal which looks at health and your mana. For a priest, right click is PW:S, and I think alt-right click is Renew. It's all completely configurable.

Also has options for how to inform the recipient -- quite flexible. Can announce in party, can send whisper, can make it so it only sends when health is below a certain threshold, etc.

Even has an experimental feature which will automatically cancel one of your heals if the recipients health jumps back up (to prevent overhealing). Not sure I'd try that one ...

Note that it probably should replace your party frame. My baby priest hasn't yet had much of a party to need it but I've been experimenting a bit.

CastParty mod
Treesh: You could add a line in my macros like "/p Flash Heal!". I generally don't spam the chat channels with healing announcements, but its all a matter of prefernce. I could see if being useful for slow casting heals like Greater Heal for example.

The reason to put the target command *after* the cast command is that it won't switch your current target. If you're targeting an enemy, the enemy will stay targeted. If you have nothing targeted, nothing will stay targeted. Only potential odd behaviour is if you already have a party member targeted. I'll have to do more testing on that front.

(If you put the target command *before* the cast command, your target will change).

Chris
I thought of doing this as well, with Flexbar so that I could have the button for Healing Wave and Lesser Healing Wave show up right next to the party member's portrait.

About halfway through, I realized that there was another mini-mod on the same site as Flexbar that is just as handy - it's called Pop Group. Whenever you click on a spell that can be cast of a friendly (buff, heal, etc.) and don't have a friendly selected, a list of your party members (including yourself!) shows up under your mouse. If you want a self-heal or buff, it's just a double-click.

Give it a try - it's easy to install and uninstall if you don't find it handy.
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
I'd second a recommendation for PopGroup. Really good mod.
vor_lord,Mar 26 2005, 10:18 AM Wrote:I don't know of a way that this can be done -- however, for mouse friendly healing in general you may be interested in trying out CastParty (if you don't mind using a mod).  It allows you to use left, right, middle, shift, alt, ctrl, etc. to set up different heals on a party member.  You should never see yourself target the recipient when you use it.
[right][snapback]71975[/snapback][/right]
I do mind using a mod. I'd much rather just be able to patch WoW and go and not worry about updating anything else. And no, I do not want to use the utility that updates all the mods for you either. Just more code that can go wrong on my machine or that I will become reliant upon and play like crap until it works again. Thanks for reminding others about CastParty mod though.
Intolerant monkey.