Question about Players 8
Does ANYONE here consider players 8 in single to be a cheat? Just curious, as if so, I don't particularly want to break the rules by mentioning it. It's simply so much easier to use it rather than booting 4 of my 5 compys and running two sessions of D2 just to get the exact same effect from LAN...

I personally don't, I kind of remember there was a brief period of time when some considered it was a cheat because it wasn't officially mentioned by Bliz. But even then it wasn't a very convincing argument imo.

But it's hard to see how it can be seen as a cheat nowadays.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/...ence.shtml

'Upping the Party Members in Single Player and TCP/IP
Typing "/players X", where X is a number between the current number of players and the maximum (8), in the message box will set the effective number of players in the game (in single player, open Battle.net and TCP/IP games only). This will increase the Monster Difficulty, Experience, and Item Drops. '

My thoughts exactly. One inaccuracy though:

You can also use /players 33 and /players 64. Experience gain isn't even close to high enough to justify the greatly increased difficulty.

>You can also use /players 33 and /players 64. Experience gain isn't even close to high enough to justify the greatly increased difficulty.

I haven't played much regular v1.1 lately, since I prefer Nobbie's classic mod. But I thought this was changed to be capped at 8 in the current version? I do remember the player64 in some earlier patches. Fun to try at least once. On a slightly unrelated note, I'm almost tempted to install the 1.10 open beta version just to fire up the -seed 666 command.
Sorry, players 32, not 33.

Still works on my 1.10 in single player. Don't have any idea with bnet.

What is -seed 666? That one I'm not familiar with.

>Still works on my 1.10 in single player.

Interesting. Something I should try, if I ever manage to stop playing Nobbies mod. :)

>What is -seed 666? That one I'm not familiar with.

I first read it in here during the 1.10 open beta patch, it basically populates area with lots of monsters. Lots and lots of monsters.

Here's a an oldie but a goodie thread about it:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...st=&#entry43186

Iirc, it's disabled in the current version. It was fun in a novelty, system chugging kind of way while it lasted.

SetBuilder,Mar 25 2005, 12:27 PM Wrote:Sorry, players 32, not 33.

Still works on my 1.10 in single player. Don't have any idea with bnet.

What is -seed 666? That one I'm not familiar with.
[right][snapback]71897[/snapback][/right]

If by "still works" you mean that you can type "/players32"and it doesn't say "CATASTROPHIC ERROR!!! ABORT ABORT!!!" sure. If you mean that it has any effect beyond that of players8, I have to disagree.

Your information about players>8 in SP dates from earlier versions of the game. And on Battlenet it wouldn't apply because of the join limit of 8.
bigeyedbug,Mar 26 2005, 10:26 PM Wrote:If by "still works" you mean that you can type "/players32"and it doesn't say "CATASTROPHIC ERROR!!! ABORT ABORT!!!" sure.  If you mean that it has any effect beyond that of players8, I have to disagree.

Your information about players>8 in SP dates from earlier versions of the game.  And on Battlenet it wouldn't apply because of the join limit of 8.
[right][snapback]72018[/snapback][/right]

??

When I say it works, I mean that I can type in /players 32, it spits back message "players set to 32" and everything becomes difficult, and monsters are all now superbaddies.

And this is patch 1.10, not some older version of game. Not realms though, only single player.
SetBuilder,Mar 27 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:??

When I say it works, I mean that I can type in /players 32, it spits back message "players set to 32" and everything becomes difficult, and monsters are all now superbaddies.

And this is patch 1.10, not some older version of game. Not realms though, only single player.
[right][snapback]72048[/snapback][/right]

Amazing. When I type "/players32""players set to 8" and produces the same effect on monster life as typing "/players8" does.

Outside of you or I having lost our minds :wacko: , or you telling a silly lil' fib :whistling: , the only explanation I can think of is that you're using one of the beta versions of 1.1.
bigeyedbug,Mar 27 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:Amazing.  When I type "/players32""players set to 8" and produces the same effect on monster life as typing "/players8" does. 

Outside of you or I having lost our minds :wacko: , or you telling a silly lil' fib :whistling: , the only explanation I can think of is that you're using one of the beta versions of 1.1.
[right][snapback]72053[/snapback][/right]

Could be a beta, didn't think so. Dunno.
The unmodded, unhacked, latest version of the game caps you to players 8. In this version, regardless of what you type beyond 8, the game will say "Players set to 8" and set things up accordingly.

When you press TAB to see the overhead map, you should see v1.10 as the game version. Another test is to log onto b.net and see if it starts downloading a patch. If so, you don't have the latest patch.
Smoketest,Mar 28 2005, 07:29 AM Wrote:When you press TAB to see the overhead map, you should see v1.10 as the game version.[right][snapback]72090[/snapback][/right]

Does the first beta (not 1.10s) also say '1.10'? :)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Smoketest,Mar 27 2005, 11:29 PM Wrote:The unmodded, unhacked, latest version of the game caps you to players 8. In this version, regardless of what you type beyond 8, the game will say "Players set to 8" and set things up accordingly.

When you press TAB to see the overhead map, you should see v1.10 as the game version. Another test is to log onto b.net and see if it starts downloading a patch. If so, you don't have the latest patch.
[right][snapback]72090[/snapback][/right]

I do see 1.10. Like I said, I know I HAD the beta at one point. Didn't think I still did, because I just downloaded the patch again about four months ago.

However, I could try players 32 again, and see if it still works, just to verify, as the compy I usually test things on may have an older version of the patch (the risk of having a network, not completely synched up).
lfd,Mar 28 2005, 04:54 AM Wrote:Does the first beta (not 1.10s) also say '1.10'? :)
[right][snapback]72099[/snapback][/right]
Oops, I assumed Blizzard did something right and had a value there that matched the actual version.