I feel so guilty
I made a trip to Staples to buy my parents a new mouse. They are still in the stone age and outright refuse to bother buying an optical one. I figured I'd buy them one and make it a present. Everyone loves presents, right?

Well, it seemed that Staples had a really outstanding sale on a really outstanding mouse.
[Image: mx5109lq.jpg]

This is a Logitech MX-510. The MSRP is $59.99, and Staples offered an instant $30 rebate and a mail-in $10 rebate, bringing the final price (pending the mail-in rebate) down to just under $20. How could I lose? This was a great deal. I bought it.

When I got home, I figured I'd try the mouse out just to be sure I wasn't going to be giving my folks a dud. The mouse worked just fine. In fact, it's completely awesome! It's a much nicer mouse than my 3 year old Microsoft optical. I've decided to be a very bad son and keep the Logitech MX-510 for myself and give my parents my old Microsoft one.

The Microsoft optical is still a nice mouse and has served me well over these past few years. It works just as well as the day I bought it and has survived 3 computers. It's 100x better than the noname ball mouse sans scroll wheel my parents use day after day. I feel pretty good about giving them my old mouse, but I really feel hella guilty about keeping the gift I bought for myself.

Have you ever bought a gift for someone else and keep it for yourself?

Sometimes when me and my brother give each other stuff it works out that way. I got him "SWAT" for christmas this year and ended up being the one watching it. This happens with gifts from anybody though.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Nah, don't feel too guilty. All them new fangled buttons on that logitech contraption, just end up confusin' 'em! Way too much mouse for a couple a greenhorns like your parents. ;)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 25 2005, 12:54 AM Wrote:Nah, don't feel too guilty.  All them new fangled buttons on that logitech contraption, just end up confusin' 'em!  Way too much mouse for a couple a greenhorns like your parents. ;)
[right][snapback]71824[/snapback][/right]

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

Now I feel a hundred times better :)
And my friend didn't believe me at first when I told him to get that mouse!

I've been using the MX-500 since about when it came out. It's awesome, and the 510 makes it obsolete :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I have the blue version of the MX-510. That mouse rocks.

You made the right decision. You will appreciate it more than your parents. Your parents will learn how nice optical mice are, even though it is a hand-me-down.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Don't feel guilty, you're still upgrading their mouse for them.

On a side note...
(The best mouse I have used, next to the worst keyboard I have ever used)
[Image: DSCN0594.jpg]
DeeBye,Mar 24 2005, 11:07 PM Wrote:I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!

Now I feel a hundred times better  :)
[right][snapback]71825[/snapback][/right]
Yes, jahcs...

[Image: Creditdeserved.jpg]
Obi2Kenobi,Mar 25 2005, 01:32 AM Wrote:Don't feel guilty, you're still upgrading their mouse for them.

On a side note...
(The best mouse I have used, next to the worst keyboard I have ever used)
[Image: DSCN0594.jpg]
[right][snapback]71831[/snapback][/right]

I'm almost too embarrassed to post this picture, but here goes.
[Image: mousepad8rs.jpg]

Yes, I own the world's ugliest mousepad. Go ahead and make fun of me. Don't make fun of my computer table though -- it's over a hundred years old.

Hey - I bought that mouse (With a black and silver exterior, but still) from Futureshop, also for 19.99$ - Aparrently some poor guy, who intended it to be 10$ off 59.99$, bringng the price to 49.99$, has accidently labeled it to be 40$ off, bringing the price to the aforementioned 19.99$...

And the mistake occured in the Futureshop National flier...

Needless to say, I've picked up two.
I bought my father the 3rd season of Frasier, but when it got in the mail I thought "he probably won't like it" (despite him being a huge fan of the show), and put the DVD-box set in my book-case next to season 1 and 2 :P
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Fer shame, even !!!! .

Justifying theft by claiming the victims are too stoopid ?? That's a long climb out of that hole you're digging. :whistling:

Try this instead. Buy a second mouse and justify it with the standard "But it was on sale" mantra.

If that still won't appease your guilt, then just use the dark side. Buy 3 for the price of 1 and sell the third to an unsuspecting friend for $40. He gets a new mouse for 2/3 of retail, your parents get a nice new mouse, and you get a free one for your efforts.

What ?? No, I don't feel guilty at all. B)
cheezz
"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it."-Dogbert

"The truth is always greater that the words we use to describe it."

[Image: fun.jpg]
DeeBye,Mar 24 2005, 11:37 PM Wrote:Have you ever bought a gift for someone else and keep it for yourself?
[right][snapback]71817[/snapback][/right]

Yes. I bought a stuffed animal for my granddaughter, but she and I sort of bonded and I kept her. Went back and spent some time with the the other eight or so identical stuffed kitties and selected another for my grandaughter. Usually when I get a present for a grandchild I feel guilty about keeping it. The solution is to go out and get another for myself.

But this does not always work. Last year I was shopping for a doll and fell in love with one I met. I made no pretense whom it was for. There was a similar doll available who was a blond, like my granddaughter, and though she had to come from Germany, I paid her passage.

photograph

Unfortunately or fortunately she and my granddaughter had a falling out, so now both dolls live happily with me.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Mar 25 2005, 09:28 PM Wrote:photograph
[right][snapback]71930[/snapback][/right]

Why does that doll have her hand up her skirt?
DeeBye,Mar 27 2005, 01:34 AM Wrote:Why does that doll have her hand up her skirt?
[right][snapback]72013[/snapback][/right]

I wondered that myself. In real life at the moment she has her arm around her brown haired friend.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
DeeBye,Mar 25 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:Yes, I own the world's ugliest mousepad.  Go ahead and make fun of me.  Don't make fun of my computer table though -- it's over a  hundred years old.

Ehhh... Those optical mice even work brilliantly on carpet, so why have a mousepad?!
whyBish,Mar 28 2005, 05:31 AM Wrote:Ehhh... Those optical mice even work brilliantly on carpet, so why have a mousepad?!
[right][snapback]72095[/snapback][/right]

It just doesn't feel right without a mousepad.
DeeBye,Mar 29 2005, 07:41 AM Wrote:It just doesn't feel right without a mousepad.
[right][snapback]72223[/snapback][/right]

I'm so with you on that!

'sides, it scratches the table :P
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"