Spider-Man 3 villain announced
http://www.killermovies.com/s/spiderman3.../5039.html

Not really who I was expecting at all, to be honest, especially after I read this last week. That's definitely a weird case of miscommunication to go from a "a blond, buxom girl" to Thomas Haden Church. Or maybe there's something "he's" not telling us? :huh: I've heard some rumblings that the villain might be Sandman, which would definitely be neat and kinda fits with Thomas Haden Church's look. Mysterio, with that giant fishbowl head, is also just begging to be on the big screen :)

What it comes down to in the end though is that I won't be happy unless there's a Venom / Sandman (or whoever Church plays) / Green Goblin (Harry) / Lizard / Man-Wolf / Doc Ock / Spider-Man seven-way since supposedly this is probably going to be the last Spidey movie.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 23 2005, 10:22 PM Wrote:I've heard some rumblings that the villain might be Sandman, which would definitely be neat and kinda fits with Thomas Haden Church's look.
[right][snapback]71725[/snapback][/right]

I've heard this too. I've also heard that he might be Rhino, but it would be hard to muscilize Church enough for the part. In truth, all of these internet rumblings are just pure speculation at this point. No one really knows who the next villian is going to be.

I've always thought that Hobgoblin or Green Goblin were always the greatest arch-nemeses of Spider-man, but that got a little spoiled because of the first movie. After them comes Kingpin (in my mind), but his rights belong to another studio. Doc Ock would be next, and he was a great villian in the 2nd flick. That doesn't really leave a whole lot of Spider-man villians left.

It would be a whole lot of cool if they broke with the usual Spider-man enemies and just went ahead with GALACTUS!, but that's probably earmarked for a Fantastic Four sequel down the road.
For SpiderMan 3 I hope Peter Parker doesn't whine much. The Peter Parker of the comic books I remember was more a coming of age story than a "why me" story. And too many villains would make the film lose focus. A 45 minute CG animated epic battle between all the villains you named would be great though!

Sandman is a pretty good pick, if they do it right. Peter, Peter and MJ's relationship, and Harry Osbourne are enough troubled souls for one movie. It doesn't need the troubled citizen doing bad things, it needs a villain. I wouldn't be too keen on The Lizard, Electro, or The Chamelion either. And Venom would make a better fit in a future SpiderMan, like SpiderMan 4, if it ever gets greenlighted for production. Throw Dr. Doom in that one to really get things going.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:It would be a whole lot of cool if they broke with the usual Spider-man enemies and just went ahead with GALACTUS!, but that's probably earmarked for a Fantastic Four sequel down the road.

I just can't picture the Fantastic Four movie being any decent. Then again, I always thought that the FF were pretty lame :blink:

Quote:And too many villains would make the film lose focus.

Well, I was only kidding. Unless the movie was 8 hours long, I don't see how they could do 6 villains. And even then they probably couldn't make it decent, no matter how good the writer was.

Quote:Throw Dr. Doom in that one to really get things going.

Dr. Doom is going to be in the Fantastic Four movie, so I doubt they would double him up.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 23 2005, 06:22 PM Wrote:http://www.killermovies.com/s/spiderman3.../5039.html

Not really who I was expecting at all, to be honest, especially after I read this last week. That's definitely a weird case of miscommunication to go from a "a blond, buxom girl" to Thomas Haden Church. Or maybe there's something "he's" not telling us? :huh: I've heard some rumblings that the villain might be Sandman, which would definitely be neat and kinda fits with Thomas Haden Church's look. Mysterio, with that giant fishbowl head, is also just begging to be on the big screen :)

What it comes down to in the end though is that I won't be happy unless there's a Venom/ Sandman (or whoever Church plays) / Green Goblin (Harry) / Lizard / Man-Wolf / Doc Ock / Spider-Man seven-way since supposedly this is probably going to be the last Spidey movie.
[right][snapback]71725[/snapback][/right]

I had heard it was going to be Venom and Carnage - which if they do it right would rule. Much agreement with jahcs, though, less whining this go around would be nice. I wasn't much of a fan of either of the first two movies.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Mar 25 2005, 04:02 AM Wrote:I had heard it was going to be Venom and Carnage - which if they do it right would rule.  Much agreement with jahcs, though, less whining this go around would be nice.  I wasn't much of a fan of either of the first two movies.
[right][snapback]71849[/snapback][/right]

I regret to report that the target audience for Spiderman is most likely Generation Whine. (The alleged generation after 'Generation X.') Parker's whining, which put me off of Spiderman I quite a bit, is I think an appeal for connection to the Whiners.

My sentiments seem to be in harmony with yours: whining is a way to screw up a good character, a path down which both Movie I and Movie II wandered. It strikes me as a cheap way to make the protagonist more human, akin to the lines of the emasculated male role popular with certain sectors of Hollywood. It is one thing to be fallible, imperfect, or per the style that Michael Douglas often presents, morally flawed. Whining is simply lame.

This same thread is seen in a variety of films. I was disappointed with the watering down of Aragorn in the LoTR trilogy, and the abuse done to the character of Faramir.

The humble, reserved, yet august and heroic Aragorn of the books would not recognize the self doubting wimp who whines of "having the same blood, the same weakness" in the first film. Nor would he recognize a man who failed to embrace his and Arwen's doom as a bittersweet love. Bah. If one reads the tale of Arwen and Aragorn, one sees a man who faces a nearly impossible task in pursuit of his true love. A man who bites the bullet, who travels to the ends of the earth battling evil, patientlly and persistently working -- virtually against hope -- to achieve the standard the Elrond sets for him in an eerie echo of Thingol's challenge to Beren.

Faramir, the combination of wisdom, empathy, and bravery who Tolkein crafted, is whined down to a brooder whose inconsistent flashes of character leave him a cypher. He too fights, against hope, against the Shadow. But he doesn't whine about it in the books.

The "reluctant hero" is a well established archetype. Whining is not heroic behaviour. See also Shadow's thread recently on the dilution of the term "hero" in our language. ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Vast generalizations, as fond of them as I am, are rarely fair measures of worth. Don't blame the children of an era; you "adults" of the period are the ones who set a precedent for "getting in touch with one's emotions". The generation's name is "baby boomlet" and if you interpret these statements as whining proof of your comments, it's due to my inability to articulate the acidic tone with which I'm attempting to write. :D

Some of us skipped school the day they fully indoctrinated the rest of the spawn.

There's still hope.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Chalk it up to virgin angst.

Since Peter is undoubtedly sleeping with Mary Jane Watson now, I'd think his outlook on life as a whole will brighten up.

That guy was definitely in need of a girlfriend.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rinnhart,Mar 25 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:Vast generalizations, as fond of them as I am, are rarely fair measures of worth. Don't blame the children of an era; you "adults" of the period are the ones who set a precedent for "getting in touch with one's emotions". The generation's name is "baby boomlet" and if you interpret these statements as whining proof of your comments, it's due to my inability to articulate the acidic tone with which I'm attempting to write.  :D

Some of us skipped school the day they fully indoctrinated the rest of the spawn.

There's still hope.
[right][snapback]71920[/snapback][/right]

What probably got me looking at the whining was the music. The music of the past 10 years, albeit there has been some very listenable stuff coming out, has had a whiney tone that I find increasingly irritating. It is as though everything sickenig about whiny Nashville formula female country singing has infiltrated the pop and rock scene, and seems to resonate.

I guess that could make one appreciate Mozart more . . .

The getting in touch with one's emotions crap you refer to was aimed at a certain crowd, as far as I could see . . . and then, it became a fad. Strikes me as tatamount to emotional masturbation.

All my meandering aside, yes, your opening comment has merit. My dad found rock and roll repulsive, and the long hair thing on guys a complete farce. On that note, at least now, folks wear hair of all sorts of lenths and approaches, with little to remark upon unless it is outrageously colored or is obviously "a 'do not meant for you."

I see that as progress, if microscopic.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 25 2005, 10:11 AM Wrote:This same thread is seen in a variety of films.  I was disappointed with the watering down of Aragorn in the LoTR trilogy, and the abuse done to the character of Faramir. 

The humble, reserved, yet august and heroic Aragorn of the books would not recognize the self doubting wimp who whines of "having the same blood, the same weakness" in the first film.  Nor would he recognize a man who failed to embrace his and Arwen's doom as a bittersweet love.  Bah.  If one reads the tale of Arwen and Aragorn, one sees a man who faces a nearly impossible task in pursuit of his true love.  A man who bites the bullet, who travels to the ends of the earth battling evil, patientlly and persistently working  -- virtually against hope -- to achieve the standard the Elrond sets for him in an eerie echo of Thingol's challenge to Beren.

Faramir, the combination of wisdom, empathy, and bravery who Tolkein crafted, is whined down to a brooder whose inconsistent flashes of character leave him a cypher.  He too fights, against hope, against the Shadow.  But he doesn't whine about it in the books. 
[right][snapback]71868[/snapback][/right]

The biggest character killing in the movies was Denethor. In the books Denethor seemed like a powerful ruler, and even though he had a lot of goof ups during the siege he also could command people, and was very smart. Movie Denethor is never seen before he fell apart, and it's surprising he can command anyone to do anything. It seems either that people would just ignore him, or that someone would have overthrown him long before. Fortunately, those scenes don't last long before it's on the the good stuff. This doesn't have to do with whining, other than maybe Denethor could be thought of as whining his power away.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Mar 26 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:The biggest character killing in the movies was Denethor.  In the books Denethor seemed like a powerful ruler, and even though he had a lot of goof ups during the siege he also could command people, and was very smart.  Movie Denethor is never seen before he fell apart, and it's surprising he can command anyone to do anything.  It seems either that people would just ignore him, or that someone would have overthrown him long before.  Fortunately, those scenes don't last long before it's on the the good stuff.  This doesn't have to do with whining, other than maybe Denethor could be thought of as whining his power away.
[right][snapback]71985[/snapback][/right]

He's a hard character to capture IMO, as he is the duality of great intelligence and wisdom undermined by depression and despair. His powerful ego and pride was captured. I think Jackson hit the negative side of a balance a bit too hard.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Rhydderch Hael,Mar 25 2005, 06:40 PM Wrote:Chalk it up to virgin angst.

Since Peter is undoubtedly sleeping with Mary Jane Watson now, I'd think his outlook on life as a whole will brighten up.

That guy was definitely in need of a girlfriend.
[right][snapback]71925[/snapback][/right]

If he aint waltzing that Matilda, he's absent certain hormone producing equipment. Those damned radioactive spider bites, it could be that they have that nasty shrinkage side effect . . . :P
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 26 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:If he aint waltzing that Matilda, he's absent certain hormone producing equipment.  Those damned radioactive spider bites, it could be that they have that nasty shrinkage side effect . . .  :P
[right][snapback]71990[/snapback][/right]
Seeing as he got a daughter in the comics with MJ (during the utterly horrid clone mess) I doubt that he's lacking in that department.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
DeeBye,Mar 24 2005, 01:35 AM Wrote:It would be a whole lot of cool if they broke with the usual Spider-man enemies and just went ahead with GALACTUS!, but that's probably earmarked for a Fantastic Four sequel down the road.
[right][snapback]71732[/snapback][/right]

Not to mention the fact that Spidey would have roughly the same chance of beating a monster like Galactus as a rabbit has against a tank. Then again, that's true of most matchups vs. big G. Logically speaking, Galactus at anything approaching full power would be unstoppable for most of the Marvel-verse.
roguebanshee,Mar 27 2005, 06:54 AM Wrote:Seeing as he got a daughter in the comics with MJ (during the utterly horrid clone mess) I doubt that he's lacking in that department.
[right][snapback]72029[/snapback][/right]

Ah, but do we really know if it was not an invitrio fertilization? We don't, though I would presume as much. :shuriken:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
(Yay for bumping old threads.)

http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/news/inde...ull&NewsID=3355

This is probably the worst possible news I could have heard about Spider-Man 3. Topher Grace as Venom? wtf. Unless he adds about 100 lbs of muscle and kills someone in a knife fight pre-production to convince me he's anything but a weiner... ugh.

Add it to the fact that X-Men 3 loses its director, loses Nightcrawler, and has trouble signing people and nailing a script down... double ugh. I think the third installment of two of my favorite combic book movies is just going to suck.

Hulk was horrible, FF was horrible, Punisher was horrible, Daredevil was the eseence of horrible distilled and made incarnate... and now it looks like they might ruin Spider-Man and X-Men. Awesome.

Apparently the Ghost Rider trailer got leaked onto the intraweb a couple days ago, anyone happen to have a link? I'm not a big Nicholas Cage fan, but Face/Off was decent and Lord of War looks interesting. I suppose that it has some potential. Iron Man just seem to be going nowhere.
--Mith

Jack London
Mithrandir,Sep 8 2005, 06:43 PM Wrote:(Yay for bumping old threads.)

http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/news/inde...ull&NewsID=3355

This is probably the worst possible news I could have heard about Spider-Man 3. Topher Grace as Venom? wtf. Unless he adds about 100 lbs of muscle and kills someone in a knife fight pre-production to convince me he's anything but a weiner... ugh.

Add it to the fact that X-Men 3 loses its director, loses Nightcrawler, and has trouble signing people and nailing a script down... double ugh. I think the third installment of two of my favorite combic book movies is just going to suck.

Hulk was horrible, FF was horrible, Punisher was horrible, Daredevil was the eseence of horrible distilled and made incarnate... and now it looks like they might ruin Spider-Man and X-Men. Awesome.

Apparently the Ghost Rider trailer got leaked onto the intraweb a couple days ago, anyone happen to have a link? I'm not a big Nicholas Cage fan, but Face/Off was decent and Lord of War looks interesting. I suppose that it has some potential. Iron Man just seem to be going nowhere.
[right][snapback]88641[/snapback][/right]

I couldnt check the info you posted cause the link was down. is it definate that Topher Grace is Venom? from the info i could dig up both he and Thomas Haden Church's parts are still unspecified. Just by their looks I would expect Thomas Haden Church to be Venom and Topher Grace to probably play Carnage.

edit: NM was able to dig up the site you were linking to.
Mithrandir,Sep 8 2005, 07:43 PM Wrote:Topher Grace as Venom?
[right][snapback]88641[/snapback][/right]

What the heck? That's gotta be a joke.
Edit. I'm a dope. Skip this one. :P