Seal of Command, higher levels
Xukuth,Mar 25 2005, 05:01 PM Wrote:That percentage is based on the formula stated above by vor_lord himself:

proc % = 1.67 * PPM * WeaponSpeed (PPM being generally accepted as 12 for SoR)

Hope this helps.
[right][snapback]71923[/snapback][/right]

Yes, that is how I calculated it. If you are using a 3.9 speed weapon it would be much higher than 34%. I believe the formula indicates 78% for a 3.9 speed weapon (which is what I said above).

I only tested it a bit (again I can only say I saw no reason to doubt conventional wisdom, certainly my testing is not sufficient). I stopped testing because the next fight I hit the wrong button on my watch and cleared the time :(

For what it is worth:

74 seconds
14 procs

This comes out to (with this small data size):
11.38 PPM

Absurdly small data sample, but I lost a bit of interest seeing as it was very much within expected range and others have done these tests more rigorously.

I still would like to get some numbers on Light and Wisdom seals -- may have to try harder with them as I don't know the conventional wisdom.

Edit:

I just had an interesting thought. For the Thrash blade (2.7 speed), the proc chance for SoR is 54%. However, my guess is that the extra attacks that it gives would mean you would actually get more than 12 PPM with SoR. This logic also extends to SoC. Depends on how the code is implemented -- worth testing.

When I get mine, I will have to try it out. (I know, level 51 and haven't done ZF or Maraudon).
vor_lord,Mar 25 2005, 05:08 PM Wrote:Yes, that is how I calculated it.  If you are using a 3.9 speed weapon it would be much higher than 34%.  I believe the formula indicates 78% for a 3.9 speed weapon (which is what I said above).

I only tested it a bit (again I can only say I saw no reason to doubt conventional wisdom, certainly my testing is not sufficient).  I stopped testing because the next fight I hit the wrong button on my watch and cleared the time :(

For what it is worth:

74 seconds
14 procs

This comes out to (with this small data size):
11.38 PPM

Absurdly small data sample, but I lost a bit of interest seeing as it was very much within expected range and others have done these tests more rigorously.

I still would like to get some numbers on Light and Wisdom seals -- may have to try harder with them as I don't know the conventional wisdom.

Edit:

I just had an interesting thought.  For the Thrash blade (2.7 speed), the proc chance for SoR is 54%.  However, my guess is that the extra attacks that it gives would mean you would actually get more than 12 PPM with SoR.  This logic also extends to SoC.  Depends on how the code is implemented -- worth testing.

When I get mine, I will have to try it out.  (I know, level 51 and haven't done ZF or Maraudon).
[right][snapback]71926[/snapback][/right]

Comments:

That formula is taken from the blizzard boards, I assume? And who stated it as fact?

My thoughts were less a meditation upon the formula and more upon the quality of the observations (no offense), and possible factors that the formula might not take into account.

The additional attack proc on thrash doesn't go off very often, though it certainly is a nice little boost when it does.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Mar 25 2005, 06:49 PM Wrote:Comments:

That formula is taken from the blizzard boards, I assume? And who stated it as fact?

My thoughts were less a meditation upon the formula and more upon the quality of the observations (no offense), and possible factors that the formula might not take into account.

The additional attack proc on thrash doesn't go off very often, though it certainly is a nice little boost when it does.
[right][snapback]71932[/snapback][/right]

You are correct in your assumptions (no offense taken). I do not know who has stated it as fact. I do know that it is generally accepted that SoR is 12 PPM, and SoC is 4.8 PPM. I certainly have not proved it. I would welcome any testing you might want to do, especially if you believe it to proc more often. The conventional wisdom could certainly be wrong -- it has been before.

I probably will run some more. I doubted it was that low based on my own experience, but my feeble minute+ of testing seemed to indicate that conventional wisdom seemed accurate. Haven't pursued it further (unlike D2, I am still mostly just playing the game, not analysing it).

If thrash doesn't go off very often (less than once per minute of combat?), it would probably be an exhausting task to test it with any degree of confidence. Also, the results are less interesting if the proc is rare, as it will not make a great deal of difference.
Artega,Mar 25 2005, 04:08 AM Wrote:All Warrior debuffs are unclassified (or classified as physical, whichever you prefer), which means you can't dispel them.

Mortal Strike is a 50% healing debuff, which means that healing effectively and efficiently is impossible while it's still in effect.  The effect lasts 10 seconds, and can't be dispelled.  Rage isn't difficult to get, so it's very possible (and very common) for me to keep them permanently debuffed until they bubble :)
[right][snapback]71843[/snapback][/right]

I sort of understand now. The corrupted furbolg in Felwood have a similar curse that is a pain. Divine shield does not increase the healing though, it just protects from damage. I still don't fully understand the connection. Maybe if a paladin did not have uninterruptible healing he or she might want to use divine shield so that you could not interrupt the healing spell?

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Mar 27 2005, 04:51 PM Wrote:I sort of understand now.  The corrupted furbolg in Felwood have a similar curse that is a pain.  Divine shield does not increase the healing though, it just protects from damage.  I still don't fully understand the connection.  Maybe if a paladin did not have uninterruptible healing he or she might want to use divine shield so that you could not interrupt the healing spell?
[right][snapback]72061[/snapback][/right]
Divine shield is the only way for a paladin to remove the reduced healing effect of Mortal Strike -- that's what his point was.
Well, I tried to farm Breath of Wind tonight, and there was too much competition. Instead, I tested Seal of Righteousness procs.

I got rid of the watch and just made sure I had a full 30 seconds of SoR for each monster, carefully ensuring I was in auto-attack before casting the seal and that it didn't die before 30 was up. Didn't judge, didn't cast anything else, didn't fight things that stunned if I could help it (used my HoJ to stun the gazers when they started their stun cast).

Then once the mob was dead I used the combat log to see how many procs I got.

Results for 17 mobs:

Totals:
111 procs
17 monsters = 8.5 min

111/8.5 = 13.06 PPM

I had a string of luck at the beginning, getting 9, 9, 8, 7, 8 before it settled down. I also had an extraordinary piece of luck vs. one of the scorpids, getting 4 crits in a row with my weapon damage. Nearly caused it to die before the 30 seconds were up. With my paltry crit rate the odds of this happening again any time soon are pretty low.

I think I'll do this a couple more times and see if it converges to 12.
Rinnhart,Mar 24 2005, 11:56 PM Wrote:It nukes all debuffs. Handy.
[right][snapback]71819[/snapback][/right]

Whenever someone complained on the WoW paladin forums about the "lame paladin shield" I would point out Mortal Strike as a pretty good means of overcoming those shields. Trying to explain that a paladin who had been struck mortally would have only two options: the first being trying to heal at 50% effectiveness and probably die. The other is to burn a bubble to remove the debuff. No one believed me that this was one way of evening things out. :)