Solo vs. Elite Mobs
MongoJerry,Jan 15 2006, 09:18 PM Wrote:My first instinct was to say mages are the best at soloing elites if they can slow and root the enemy, although after reading other posts here, I'll agree that hunters are probably better.  Mages have all the dps advantage of warlocks without the messiness of accidentally fear kiting mobs into adds.  Let me tell you, it really pissed me off that the Eye of Shadow dropped in a zone (the demon area of Winterspring) where mages could solo the mobs easily and where my priest couldn't (or could maybe kill succubi barely at a really slow pace if exactly spec'd right).
[right][snapback]99439[/snapback][/right]

Here's a little trick for you Mongo.

When you fear a mob as a Warlock, it will start running, but if you see it running a direction you don't want, cast Curse of Recklessness 1, suddenly it isn't afraid of you anymore and starts to run back, cast any other Curse and it will remember it's afraid of you and start running, if you don't like that direction, cast CoR again. Repeat adnaseum until the mob is going where you want it to go whlie keeping DoTs up and any fearable mob in the game is easy pickings for a Warlock. (AFAIK, the Warlock is the only class that can reliably kill Bolregore reliably.)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Bob the Beholder,Jan 14 2006, 01:53 PM Wrote:A mage can solo anything that he can slow.  And some things that he can't.

I've seen a mage solo Borelgore, Emberstrife, and Axtroz.
[right][snapback]99386[/snapback][/right]

Mages kill only with near perfect execution, timing and a lot of kiting room. But some mobs cannot be touched because they have too high of a resistance to frost/freezing. Thus the rule is: "if you can chill it, you can kill it" ... with near perfect timing (mages get good at this after a few months of play) and some lucky crits/procs. Thus indoor elite mobs are very very hard because of the lack of space.

A pet class is just so much easier then all of the kiting, jump shots and other tricks needed by a mage. The warlock fear issue is very interesting but not nearly as big of an issue as simple trees or other objects that you bump into as you kite (my #1 reason for dying). Thus mages can kill elites, but not as easy or relaxing as other classes. The final killing blows on near oom as you kite for more mana are pretty exciting.

Terenas
Yuri - Mage/Arcane 85 Undead
Thirdrail - Shaman/Resto 85 Tauren
Vicstull - Rogue/Subtlety 85 Troll
Penten - Priest/Discipline 85 Blood Elf
Storage guild Bassomatic
Lissa,Feb 8 2006, 02:19 AM Wrote:Here's a little trick for you Mongo.

When you fear a mob as a Warlock, it will start running, but if you see it running a direction you don't want, cast Curse of Recklessness 1, suddenly it isn't afraid of you anymore and starts to run back, cast any other Curse and it will remember it's afraid of you and start running, if you don't like that direction, cast CoR again.  Repeat adnaseum until the mob is going where you want it to go whlie keeping DoTs up and any fearable mob in the game is easy pickings for a Warlock.  (AFAIK, the Warlock is the only class that can reliably kill Bolregore reliably.)
[right][snapback]101404[/snapback][/right]

Nice trick, I'll try that one out.

Druids can do Borelgore. It takes a while. Entangling roots, back off, Starfire, repeat. Replace some Starfires with nothing to regen mana as needed.
Xame Wrote:Mages kill only with near perfect execution, timing and a lot of kiting room.  But some mobs cannot be touched because they have too high of a resistance to frost/freezing.  Thus the rule is: "if you can chill it, you can kill it"  ... with near perfect timing (mages get good at this after a few months of play) and some lucky crits/procs.  Thus indoor elite mobs are very very hard because of the lack of space.

Another faxmonkey fan! :D A mage actually needs less room to kite than a hunter (though you can allways kite in a circle) but they're pretty much screwed when they get a frost nova resisted or run out of mana. So a mage would require much better gear to solo elites than a hunter.

Xame Wrote:A pet class is just so much easier then all of the kiting, jump shots and other tricks needed by a mage.  The warlock fear issue is very interesting but not nearly as big of an issue as simple trees or other objects that you bump into as you kite (my #1 reason for dying).  Thus mages can kill elites, but not as easy or relaxing as other classes.  The final killing blows on near oom as you kite for more mana are pretty exciting.

Have you played a pet class? Trust me you don't want Bigglesworth taking hits from an elite. I played my hunter like that a long time ago but it was incredibly slow because I had to save all my mana for pet heals, now i just kite the mobs around, much more fun too :). But yes, bumping in to stuff sucks, epecially all those small fences placed along roads :angry: .
Just the game gods telling you to stop wasting your time with pansy cats and get a real pet, like a bear.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Feb 7 2006, 11:39 PM Wrote:Just the game gods telling you to stop wasting your time with pansy cats and get a real pet, like a bear.
[right][snapback]101515[/snapback][/right]

Actually my cat does quite well vs most elites as well but I'm a beast master build so that might might a difference. I rarely have to use mend pet until after the battle or unless I get an add. Rank 6 of both natural armor and great stamina on the cat, rank 2 of all the resists except fire which is rank 3, and the top ranks of claw, bite, dash, and growl. Good use of intimidation to stun the mobs, beastial wrath + rapid shots (or my devilsaur eye) to really put out some damage without worrying about pulling aggro. Sure the cat only has 5400 armor and 3500 (or so, not sure, she's buffed a lot) HP but that is fine. I kinda wish she had cower at times but usually just telling her to follow me, distracting shot and doing a little kiting is enough.

Though I'm also training up a turtle as well just because I like the idea of 6000+ armor pet. :) Though shell sheild is disappointing, I still kinda like the turtle since you don't see too many of them.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.