Help me compile a list of films
I've been trying to put together a list of computer animated films that my young son (not me I swear!) might enjoy. I'd really like to have a full collection of them on DVD.

I know there have been a few computer animated films that have been targetted at older audiences (like the Final Fantasy film and creepy anime stuff), but I'm looking for a complete list of the kid-friendly computer thingie films.

Here's my list from memory:
  • Antz<>
  • A Bug's Life<>
  • Toy Story<>
  • Toy Story 2<>
  • Monster's, Inc<>
  • Shrek<>
  • Shrek 2<>
  • Finding Nemo<>
  • Polar Express<>
  • Shark Tale<>
  • The Incredibles<>
  • Ice Age (thanks TaiDaishar!<>
    [st]I don't know if these are in sequential order or not. That's just the way I wrote them down as I thought of them.

Please help me fill in the blanks.
Let's see...

There's Ice Age, at least I believe it was done by a computer, not sure though.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Mar 19 2005, 03:20 AM Wrote:Let's see...

There's Ice Age, at least I believe it was done by a computer, not sure though.
[right][snapback]71200[/snapback][/right]

I knew I forgot something. Thanks :wub: !!
The humour in Shrek and Shrek 2 were definitely geared towards more "mature" audiences. I'd suggest you view the films yourself, if you haven't already, and decide if its appropriate for your son.
YZilla,Mar 19 2005, 05:51 AM Wrote:The humour in Shrek and Shrek 2 were definitely geared towards more "mature" audiences. I'd suggest you view the films yourself, if you haven't already, and decide if its appropriate for your son.
[right][snapback]71203[/snapback][/right]
I'm not sure that's how I'd define it. I'd say it's more that Shrek was a children-friendly movie that had adult jokes in it.

I know there's a few movies that I've watched after growing up, and I noticed a bunch of adult jokes that just passed over my head as a little kid.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Whoa, quite the tall order DeeBye!

What about all the Disney Classics?
http://www.toon.com/info/Disney_Classic.html
starting with 1937's Snow White? thru The Lion King and up to (so far) Rapunzel Unbraided and Gnomeo and Juliet.

I personally loved the animated TV specials like Charles Schultz's "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and his Charlie Brown Christmas special. Then there was Dr. Seuss' "The Grinch" that came on at the same time. Horton Hear a Who. The Lorax. The Cat in the Hat. Winnie the Pooh stuff.

Terrible pop-ups but a good site:
http://www.filmsite.org/animatedfilms4.html

What about Claymation? There'd be "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and such. Not to mention all the TV Claymation stuff from the Brits -- the Wallace and Gromit series which you can find in most Blockbuster video stores. The Velveteen Rabbit.

Muppets? The Great Muppet Caper and others.

Roald Dahl stuff? James and the Giant Peach? I think youngsters might find it kinda scarey.

Odds and ends: Watership Down. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The Hobbit (loved this one!). Tron? Roger Rabbit (definitely some adult humor there). Babe. Stuart Little. Jimmy Neutron. Osmosis Jones.

I'll also suggest this little gem: Alegro Non Troppo. It's a bit of a spoof of Disney's Fantasia, but just as imaginative (even if the production values aren't the same). Good luck finding it though.

Will you include cartoons? Hanna Barbera, Walter Lantz, Warner's and Warner Brothers, Tom and Jerry, Flintstones, Scooby Do, Johnny Quest, Speed Racer, etc.

There's the puppet stuff too, but as a little kid I found it kinda creepy. Gave me nightmares!

Good luck with your search!

Attika

Do they have to be computer animated?

The grandaddy of them all, Fantasia, is still great. Fantasia 2000 also sits on the 'kid shelf' here.

Another Disney one that the boys liked was The Rescuers, along with the sequel, the Rescuers Down Under.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

DeeBye,Mar 19 2005, 12:52 AM Wrote:I've been trying to put together a list of computer animated films that my young son (not me I swear!) might enjoy. I'd really like to have a full collection of them on DVD.

I know there have been a few computer animated films that have been targetted at older audiences (like the Final Fantasy film and creepy anime stuff), but I'm looking for a complete list of the kid-friendly computer thingie films.

Here's my list from memory:
  • <>
  • Antz
    <>
  • A Bug's Life
    <>
  • Toy Story
    <>
  • Toy Story 2
    <>
  • Monster's, Inc
    <>
  • Shrek
    <>
  • Shrek 2
    <>
  • Finding Nemo
    <>
  • Polar Express
    <>
  • Shark Tale
    <>
  • The Incredibles
    <>
  • Ice Age (thanks TaiDaishar!
    <>
    [st]I don't know if these are in sequential order or not.&nbsp; That's just the way I wrote them down as I thought of them.

Please help me fill in the blanks.
    [right][snapback]71199[/snapback][/right]

May I suggest all three Wallace and Grommet claymation films?

A Grand Day Out
The Wrong Trousers
A Close Shave.

Superb entertainment.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thanks guys. Those are definitely some keepers you've suggested.
Careful about the first Fantasia.

Night on Bald Mountain is too intense for young ones. Heck, even gives me the creeps.

Attika
Attika,Mar 19 2005, 11:30 AM Wrote:Careful about the first Fantasia.&nbsp;

Night on Bald Mountain is too intense for young ones.&nbsp; Heck, even gives me the creeps.

Attika
[right][snapback]71223[/snapback][/right]

Good point

OTOH, my boys didn't have any trouble with it. And the Sorcerer's Apprentice should not be missed out on. :wub:
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

* Lion King

Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
"The Last Unicorn" (1982)
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988)
"Titan AE" (2000)

Quote:I've been trying to put together a list of computer animated films...

Do they really have to be computer animated? :huh:
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Mar 19 2005, 04:52 PM Wrote:Do they really have to be computer animated?&nbsp; :huh:
[right][snapback]71229[/snapback][/right]

I don't have enough money to buy every good animated film ever made, so I'm gonna limit it to the computer animated ones (which I've always enjoyed watching anyways). I've got most of them already, so I might as well make sure I've got them all.
DeeBye,Mar 19 2005, 02:05 PM Wrote:I don't have enough money to buy every good animated film ever made, so I'm gonna limit it to the computer animated ones (which I've always enjoyed watching anyways).&nbsp; I've got most of them already, so I might as well make sure I've got them all.
[right][snapback]71230[/snapback][/right]

Well, since other people have suggested non-CGI movies, I'm going to put in a vote for My Neighbor Totoro. A lot of Miyazaki's other work might be more appropriate for older kids (but the others are probably more entertaining for adults), but Totoro is a good place to start.

Plus, if you like it, that might help you decide if you want to go see Howl's Moving Castle when it comes out in the theatres soonish! :)
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
maniajk,Mar 19 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:"The Last Unicorn"&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; (1982)

[right][snapback]71229[/snapback][/right]

I can't believe I forgot that one ! Hard to find, these days, but well worth the search.
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

[quote=DeeBye,Mar 19 2005, 09:05 PM]
I don't have enough money to buy every good animated film ever made, so I'm gonna limit it to the computer animated ones (which I've always enjoyed watching anyways). I've got most of them already, so I might as well make sure I've got them all.

I understand your budget and taste concern, though in my opinion you'll still get good value for your money if you find a film as the di$ney marketeers say, a timeless classic. (That can withstand repeated viewings by the youngins and not drive adults crazy.) Even if it isn't done with CGI.

To add to Occhi's recommendation, Nick Park's film is really quite smashing, genuinely appealing for all ages. Along with the Wallace and Gromit series, 'Chicken Run' and the 'Creature Comfort' shorts are also gems.

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/reo/toontale...urecomforts.htm

And if you like Brad Bird's work on 'The Incredibles', you should really check out 'The Iron Giant'. One of the best movies no one saw in the theatres.
Hammerskjold,Mar 19 2005, 10:16 PM Wrote:&nbsp; And if you like Brad Bird's work on 'The Incredibles', you should really check out 'The Iron Giant'.&nbsp; One of the best movies no one saw in the theatres.
[right][snapback]71243[/snapback][/right]

I just re-watched The Incredibles tonight with my family. I've already seen it, but I bought the DVD that was released on Tuesday so my wife and son could watch it. I don't know about you guys, but The Incredibles is the best CG animated film I've ever seen. I could watch it over and over again.

I'll definitely keep an eye open for The Iron Giant. In fact, I think the store where I work sells it for about $8. I've never seen it, but I have heard that a lot of people liked it.

BTW, you fail at quoting :)
Hammerskjold,Mar 19 2005, 08:16 PM Wrote:&nbsp; And if you like Brad Bird's work on 'The Incredibles', you should really check out 'The Iron Giant'.&nbsp; One of the best movies no one saw in the theatres.
[right][snapback]71243[/snapback][/right]

I took my son and nephew to see it when it came out. It was not only under 2 hours, yay, but beats IMO the pants off of most of the dreck Disney has come out with in the past 10 years. Lion King was, IMO, crap. Its only saving grace were Pumba and Timone.

Iron Giant? Loved it. Retro to the 1960's Iron Man TV show and a touch of 50's spaceman stuff.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
DeeBye,Mar 19 2005, 07:35 PM Wrote:I'll definitely keep an eye open for The Iron Giant.[right][snapback]71244[/snapback][/right]

Cartoon network seems to run it fairly regularly. So, you could probably check it out there before spending even $8. :)