Milk
Munkay,Mar 18 2005, 11:10 AM Wrote:Typically people name their house pets.  Let's hope that's not the case as well.  ;)

[right][snapback]71151[/snapback][/right]
The farmers I've known name most of the animals on their farms, except for the animals in the larger herds. The small amounts of geese, hog, chickens, calves, sheep, etc. had names, even the ones slated for the chopping block. It wasn't uncommon to ask, "What's for dinner?" and get "Ethel" as the reply. ;) You just grow up understanding that this pet you have named isn't going to be around long, even if you get attached to it.

I know you're just being silly and making a joke about the cows possibly being housepets (barns are bad enough to clean out. Imagine the horror of trying to clean up the carpet ;) ), but I just wanted to chime in anyway on this.
Intolerant monkey.
kandrathe,Mar 18 2005, 08:07 AM Wrote:Merriam Webster's Manufactured Word Dictionary says;

Cruisade

1 a military expedition undertaken by Christians where they sail from port to port trying  to win back the Holy Land from the Muslims
2 : to travel on a remedial enterprise without destination or purpose and undertaken with zeal and enthusiasm
[right][snapback]71135[/snapback][/right]

I know the definition, I've always seen it spelled crusade, without the i.

edit: whoops, that dictionary bit is a joke I think.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
*Replying to wrong person*

Here in NZ we are starting to see automated milking sheds where cows can walk in at any time rather than the regular once early in the morning, once late at night. Laser guided cups attach themselves and milk the cows. Guess what they found out... the cows on average wandered in three times per day to get milked. (Mind you, over here cows live outside... I can't figure out how a battery cow farm would work)
whyBish,Mar 18 2005, 04:45 PM Wrote:
Minionman,Mar 19 2005, 07:42 AM Wrote:
*Replying to wrong person*

Here in NZ we are starting to see automated milking sheds where cows can walk in at any time rather than the regular once early in the morning, once late at night. Laser guided cups attach themselves and milk the cows. Guess what they found out... the cows on average wandered in three times per day to get milked. (Mind you, over here cows live outside... I can't figure out how a battery cow farm would work)
[right][snapback]71179[/snapback][/right]

My Aunt and Uncle own a dairy farm (they inherited it from my grandfather) and they have always milked 4 times a day it was a 5am, 10am, 3pm, 8pm schedule, if I recall right. I think they tried three times a day and got slightly higher yields but lower milk fat content. Since they have a Guernsey herd, not holstein, milk fat is more important since Guernseys are generally higher anyway, and milk fat is used in lots and lots of things. Price per gallon differences for the higher milk fat content more than made up for the lower yield.

I can't imagine a 2 time a day milk pattern. All of the other dairy farmers I knew (and I like Treesh grew up in a rural area) were 3 or 4 times a day schedules as well.

And yes all the cows were named. When they got too old to be good milkers they were slaughtered. Since both my aunt and uncle were sci-fi fans (my uncle got a degree in agriculture with a minor in astronomy) I have eaten Spock, Yoda, Vader, and several other Star Trek and Star Wars named animals. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.