enchanting prices?
I'm guessing this should go in this forum since its kind of the strategy behind selling enchantments. So anyway, I have a priest who is a tailor/enchanter and up until now hasn't bothered to sell any enchantments. Mostly she has just given some to guildmates and done them repeatedly to herself. She has an enchanting of about 230 and so I have been debating if I should start selling.

So my question is, what enchantments do you all consider to be worth selling (what do people want?) and what prices are reasonable both for me to make a profit and for the buyer to not be getting charged too much (what are the general market values?). So far the only one I have a rough idea on is the +5 damage to 2 handed weapons that gives a nice blue glow. That one seems to go for about 5 gold. One person did say that that was too cheap, but I think he probably is just too focused on profit and so I'm thinking 5 gold is about right for me. What about other enchantments though? What are other characters interested in and what are decent prices for them?

I'm kind of thinking that maybe some of this can be tied to the ingredients. Like with the +5 2H one. It requires 4x Vision Dust and 1x Large Glowing Shard. Now Vision Dust seems like a relatively cheap ingredient so the bulk of the price is in the shard. So maybe any enchantment that uses a Large Glowing Shard should go for about 5 gold for each shard plus whatever the other ingredients are worth if they are of value. I don't really know though and so thats why I am asking. What have you all experienced with this from a seller's and a buyer's perspective?
swirly,Mar 15 2005, 05:01 PM Wrote:So my question is, what enchantments do you all consider to be worth selling (what do people want?) and what prices are reasonable both for me to make a profit and for the buyer to not be getting charged too much (what are the general market values?).  So far the only one I have a rough idea on is the +5 damage to 2 handed weapons that gives a nice blue glow.  That one seems to go for about 5 gold.  One person did say that that was too cheap, but I think he probably is just too focused on profit and so I'm thinking 5 gold is about right for me.  What about other enchantments though?  What are other characters interested in and what are decent prices for them?
[right][snapback]70861[/snapback][/right]

Selling enchantments is a balance between what the ingredients are worth and what people will be willing to pay for them. Given the prices of ingredients as determined by the market, you will never be able to break even on most enchant sales. Mostly, it's because of what people will pay.

Popular enchants for weapons are anything that glows: beast slayer, elemental slayer, demonslaying, +3/+4 to one-handed weapon damage, +5/+7 to two-handed damage. For cost-effectiveness, the Large Glowing Shard ones are going to be the best, since people seem to be willing to fork out at least 5 gold for one of those. The bigger enchants, like +4 to one-hand, cost something like 18g if you total the pieces at auction, but you'll rarely find anyone willing to pay that. Prices on Stormrage are starting to shift so that enchanters don't get screwed quite so badly, but that one still doesn't go for more than 15 or so (it used to be hard to find buyers at 10).

On armour, people look for +100 health and +3 stats to the chest slot, +stamina nearly everywhere, and +agility wherever it will go. There may be moderate demand for some other enchants. Most people will pay around 10g for the chest enchants. The stamina enchants are difficult to get a price of over 1.5g for the bracer and 3 for the boots.

Again, I stress that you will not make a profit on this, versus simply vendoring or AHing the things you disenchanted for your materials. The only times when you can seriously benefit is when you cut up your old soulbound instance gear, like the Illusionary Rod, for shards. You can then turn them into more cash than you would by just vendoring it, but there isn't an unlimited supply of these. Materials will run dry in the late-game, and you'll be competing with people who still do have soulbound instance gear and who can therefore undercut you.

Of course, I do need to point out that my observations are limited to Stormrage. High-pop server economies differ significantly; we have massive inflationary pressure and more than one new Stormrage player has exclaimed in Ironforge General that the prices are absurd. Still, the prices for AHed gear rise with enchanting prices, and so it's still not a great economical choice. It hurts a little less to take up enchanting now, but can't match the profit potentiality of any other profession.
I'm currently playing as an enchanter on a moderate populated Euro server, and I've had pretty much the same experiences as Swirly. Being a pretty young server, the economy is still very flakey, and people don't seem willing to pay much at all for enchantments. I've never sold an enchantment for more than a few gold so far (with 225 in enchanting I have a couple of decent ones), and most people seem to think that offering 30-35 silver for "something that makes my weapon glow" is reasonable.

Hopefully it will shape up as more people start hitting higher levels and realize the usefulness of enchantments. :)

Slightly off topic, but I almost paid for an enchant (Beastslaying), but I paused before I got it. My Shaman weapon buffs overwrite Blacksmithing sharpening/weighting stones. The stones overwrite Enchants (from what I remember). Will this expensive enchant be overwritten the second I cast Windfury Weapon?
[Image: gurnseyheader6lk.jpg]
Spangles is 300 enchant and was out of business for a while when AH prices for materials went through the roof.

Now, she tells the customer to provide materials and tacks on a 10% - 15% charge for chanting. This works best for the high end chants where the materials cost is 20g or more.
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
Gurnsey,Mar 16 2005, 12:33 PM Wrote:Slightly off topic, but I almost paid for an enchant (Beastslaying), but I paused before I got it.  My Shaman weapon buffs overwrite Blacksmithing sharpening/weighting stones.  The stones overwrite Enchants (from what I remember).  Will this expensive enchant be overwritten the second I cast Windfury Weapon?
[right][snapback]70945[/snapback][/right]

No. You can have one permanent enhancement (enchants, weapon chains, counterweights, etc.) and one temporary enhancement (Windfury, Flametongue, Frostbrand, Rockbiter, sharpening stones, weightstones, etc.) on a weapon. Shaman weapon buffs will overwrite sharpening stones and weightstones, but will not overwrite permanent enhancements.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.