Germans were the first with useable atomics?!?
Ashock,Mar 16 2005, 08:05 AM Wrote:Before you go and try to correct someone, try to make sure that you know for certain that you know more about that particular topic then they do. Without checking, my guess is that you are about 13-15 years old. It shows. A man's got to know his limitations. Since you are not yet a man, I will limit my comment to just that. I probably should have just ignored this, but maybe, just maybe I just saved a life, heh.
-A
[right][snapback]70899[/snapback][/right]

I was just trying to elaborate a bit! :o

As I posted before Ashock this is a very old news, it was first discussed right after WW2, so I had plenty of time to read up. :rolleyes:
This guy is just living of the media attention he got from a good marketing campaign aimed at the gullible and uninformed public! The topic has been discussed over and over again through the years, by both amateur and professional historians, and the whole "revealing the conspiracy/mystery thing" is a great strategy to promote book sales, so to hell with those discussions this is *BRAND NEW*.

You missed my physical age by a few years, but my mental age by a few decades! :P And only my insomnia shows! :huh:

Not yet a MAN!? :blink: No one seems to be complaining... but you! :huh: Am I supposed to prove myself or something!?

Your right, keep limiting your comments! :whistling:

Save my life! :angry: Yeah right! I spent five years of my life being bombed and dodging sniper bullets I can perfectly take care of myself!

Edit: *fixed the links*
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Mar 16 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:Save my life! :angry: Yeah right! I spent five years of my life being bombed and dodging sniper bullets I can perfectly take care of myself!

[right][snapback]70942[/snapback][/right]

Umm ok then, you're a man. I guess you are one of those men that do NOT know their limitations, and it's too late for you to get wiser, now that you're fully grown. Your loss.

-A
Ashock,Mar 16 2005, 12:51 PM Wrote:Umm ok then, you're a man. I guess you are one of those men that do NOT know their limitations, and it's too late for you to get wiser, now that you're fully grown. Your loss.
-A
[right][snapback]70960[/snapback][/right]

No point in worrying about Ashock. Ashock likes to make these kinds of angry comments for some reason. Maybe he had a bad experiance and is overcompensating for something. :P
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
eppie,Mar 16 2005, 01:47 AM Wrote:I think we have the same situation here as in the Iraq-war.

If Hitler would have those bombs, why wouldn't he have used them?
[right][snapback]70904[/snapback][/right]

To add to what Doc said, it also takes awhile to make these bombs from what I've heard in their early developement days. Even if Hitler had one bomb or even a few and tested them, they still might not have been confident in them to go straight to using them on enemy militaries. Thgis article only talks about one test, so even if true, they may have not had or wanted to build enough bombs to test, or done enough testing, to be sure they coulod use the bombs well on enemy troops. There were only two bombs on Japan.

Someone may make the argument that while loosing a country would be more ready to use less safe weapons, but add perfectionist and safety problems (a.k.a. not bombing their own troops) and the bombs still wouldn't get used.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Gnollguy,Mar 15 2005, 06:49 PM Wrote:I have recollections of that as well.  There was some follow-up research that dealt with Heisenberg's journals and the Farm Hall transcripts that seem to indicate that Heisenberg and several other German physicists were doing what they could to hold things back, either by focusing research efforts elsewhere or introducing deliberate miscalculations.  But so much of that is hard to prove and much of what could prove it is still classified.

It is known that the Germans were well ahead of anyone in the field before the war started which makes it somewhat surprising at how little the progressed during.  [right][snapback]70872[/snapback][/right]

Huh? A nation whose infrastrucure and industrial plant was being hammered for two to three years? "Surprising how little they progressed?"

What is impressive is how much they were able to achieve under the conditions. They did not have the free access to all materials via international markets that the US enjoyed during the war, though their ingenuity in developing, for example, synthetic oils and fuels shows how far they pushed the edge of the envelope in "making due."

As to the story's substance: (From the article)

"Karlsch displays a catastrophic lack of understanding of physics," wrote physicist Michael Schaaf, author of a previous book about Nazi atomic experiments, in the Berliner Zeitung newspaper.

"Karlsch has done us a service in showing that German research into uranium went further than we'd thought up till now. But there was not a German atom bomb," he added.

Take it one step further. No bomber to drop it: Hitler and Goerring killed the 4 engine bomber project in 1936-1937ish.

The V program and weaponization of rocket payloads were still being perfected as the war came to a close.

Harrumph.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Minionman,Mar 16 2005, 04:43 PM Wrote:No point in worrying about Ashock.  Ashock likes to make these kinds of angry comments for some reason.  Maybe he had a bad experiance and is overcompensating for something. :P
[right][snapback]70993[/snapback][/right]

Wow, you must be clairvoyant to have figured out that I am abviously compensating for my small penis.

As far as the other member of the peanut gallery.... So, you're 18, big deal. Just because you have suffered through some tough years, means nothing. My father in law suffered through $hit that you would not believe during WW2, and that does not make him a man. He's still a whiny little child at 67. Whatever, now I am wasting my time.

-A
edited
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
Ashock,Mar 16 2005, 06:48 PM Wrote:Wow, you must be clairvoyant to have figured out that I am abviously compensating for my small penis.

As far as the other member of the peanut gallery.... So, you're 18, big deal. Just because you have suffered through some tough years, means nothing. My father in law suffered through $hit that you would not believe during WW2, and that does not make him a man. He's still a whiny little child at 67. Whatever, now I am wasting my time.
-A
[right][snapback]71008[/snapback][/right]

Wasn't even thinkinbg about reproductive organs. Just thought you act extra tough to keep from feeling dumber or weaker. Complaiing about being a "man" after all, looks awful whiny, or maybe I'm missing something.

Doc,Mar 16 2005, 02:39 PM Wrote:And never fight a land war in Asia!
[right][snapback]70929[/snapback][/right]
Unless you're Mongolian or Chinese. :)
Still, allthough his timing for the attack wasn't exactly "perfect", it really went rather well, circumstances taken into account. He came pretty close to the capitol regardless of the early and exceptional hard winter, the "burnt lands tactic" deployed by the soviets and sabotaged supply-lines. Now that's pretty impressive.

Ashock,Mar 17 2005, 12:48 AM Wrote:Wow, you must be clairvoyant to have figured out that I am abviously compensating for my small penis.
[right][snapback]71008[/snapback][/right]
Wow. Yeah - so, I know I'm new and all, meaning I probably should wait a little before making these comments, but I cannot just let that one pass.
That one sounds like a huge (*snicker*) freudian slip :D
Cool down man, you're being more destructive to the thread than the guy you're attacking...
OK, guys, this has gone too far.

Quote:Take flame wars to email.
Flame wars are not welcome here. Address the topic, not the person. What that means is when you're debating a topic, debate the topic. Adding personal insults into your posts nullifies your argument and may result in your post getting wiped by a moderator. There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one. When flaming gets out of control, you will be asked to take your tiff to email or private messages. There's no reason to air your fight in public, and we don't want to see it.

Also, please don't bypass the swear filter. It was put there for a reason.
Griselda,Mar 16 2005, 08:08 PM Wrote:Also, please don't bypass the swear filter.  It was put there for a reason.
[right][snapback]71017[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, the "$hit" was written that way because I'm still used to posting that way from the DSF.

-A
... :(
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Griselda,Mar 17 2005, 05:08 AM Wrote:Also, please don't bypass the swear filter.  It was put there for a reason.
[right][snapback]71017[/snapback][/right]

I wasn't even aware that the Lounge HAS a swear filter :blink:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Mar 17 2005, 05:54 PM Wrote:I wasn't even aware that the Lounge HAS a swear filter  :blink:
[right][snapback]71103[/snapback][/right]

#$%& #$%& #$%& #$%&!!!!
pazuzu,Mar 16 2005, 08:58 PM Wrote:Unless you're Mongolian or Chinese. :)
Still, allthough his timing for the attack wasn't exactly "perfect", it really went rather well, circumstances taken into account. He came pretty close to the capitol regardless of the early and exceptional hard winter, the "burnt lands tactic" deployed by the soviets and sabotaged supply-lines. Now that's pretty impressive.
Wow. Yeah - so, I know I'm new and all, meaning I probably should wait a little before making these comments, but I cannot just let that one pass.
That one sounds like a huge (*snicker*) freudian slip :D
Cool down man, you're being more destructive to the thread than the guy you're attacking...
[right][snapback]71016[/snapback][/right]

Hi, and welcome.

Does Ashock have to put "/sarcasm" tags on his posts again? :whistling:

Try reading that post again, and imagine a sneering, sarcastic tone of voice. It will come across as genuine, and make you realize that your reply was funny to me for all the wrong reasons. Even so, I liked the pun on the Freudian slip turn of phrase.

That said, no glory has been accrued by anyone in the rock throwing above as you noted, and per Griselda's admonition to take the flames to email.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Minionman,Mar 16 2005, 11:50 PM Wrote:To add to what Doc said, it also takes awhile to make these bombs from what I've heard in their early developement days.  Even if Hitler had one bomb or even a few and tested them, they still might not have been confident in them to go straight to using them on enemy militaries.  Thgis article only talks about one test, so even if true, they may have not had or wanted to build enough bombs to test, or done enough testing, to be sure they coulod use the bombs well on enemy troops.  There were only two bombs on Japan.

Someone may make the argument that while loosing a country would be more ready to use less safe weapons, but add perfectionist and safety problems (a.k.a. not bombing their own troops) and the bombs still wouldn't get used.
[right][snapback]70996[/snapback][/right]

To minionman and doc: That's a lot of assumptions you make there. I keep with my opinion.....but I don't have proof of course :D

Still, one or two atomic bombs would not have saved the nazis.
eppie,Mar 20 2005, 08:22 AM Wrote:To minionman and doc: That's a lot of assumptions you make there. I keep with my opinion.....but I don't have proof of course :D

Still, one or two atomic bombs would not have saved the nazis.
[right][snapback]71311[/snapback][/right]

Some of these are based on what other countries did with nuclear weapons, so I'm taking what they did and figuring Germany would ahve done similar things if they had a nuclear weapon. I figure some of these will probably be right at least.

I won't have any either opinions either way on whether germany had one A-bomb, unless someone comes out loud and clear and says they did. From what I've heard they didn't but either way does make sense.