March 15th
Today is March 15th International Day Against Police Brutality, first observed in 1997 after Swiss police beat two children age 11 and 12 to death. :o

That's just sad! :mellow:

BTW, beware of the ides of March and pointy knives! :P
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Mar 15 2005, 02:51 PM Wrote:Swiss police beat two children age 11 and 12 to death.

That's freakin horrible! :angry:

I cannot conceive under which circumstances such a thing happened...

Grrr.....

-D
How about Senate brutality?

Beware, the ides of March!

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Daemon,Mar 15 2005, 09:03 AM Wrote:That's freakin horrible!  :angry:

I cannot conceive under which circumstances such a thing happened...

Grrr.....

-D
[right][snapback]70802[/snapback][/right]

What, you find that inconceivable? ;) I don't think it means what you think it means.

A few years back, two young British Boys beat a two year old to death. Given how precocious young'ns are in getting into higher grades of trouble, I do not find it odd that two cops hammered a pair of youngsters who did not handle the hammering.

I don't imagine their local police chief was too pleased! :angry:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
OMG! They did it again!
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Mar 23 2005, 06:51 PM Wrote:OMG! They did it again!
[right][snapback]71727[/snapback][/right]

I don't believe that is a case of police brutality. He was trespassing, he did run at officers making physical contact, and the police used non lethal means to subdue him.

Being autistic does not make this an automatic brutality case, just an unfortunate turn of events. I would not hold the boy liable for any crimes, of course. And, based on the information given I do not believe the police acted out of turn.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 24 2005, 12:23 AM Wrote:I don't believe that is a case of police brutality.  He was trespassing, he did run at officers making physical contact, and the police used non lethal means to subdue him.

Being autistic does not make this an automatic brutality case, just an unfortunate turn of events.  I would not hold the boy liable for any crimes, of course.  And, based on the information given I do not believe the police acted out of turn.
[right][snapback]71730[/snapback][/right]

I agree with everything you said. The police were 100% in the right in this case, though unfortunate as it is.

I've known both autistic people and drug-addled people. It's hard to tell the difference between the two at the most ideal of times. It would be especially hard to tell the difference between the two at 2am when you are responding to a possible burglary call. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't get shot.