AOL is a playing funny, right?
I saw this on Slashdot and I thought it was a joke until I looked into it.

If you use AIM, check out the updated Terms of Service.

Quote:Content You Post
You may only post Content that you created or which the owner of the Content has given you. You may not post or distribute Content that is illegal or that violates these Terms of Service. By posting or submitting Content on any AIM Product, you represent and warrant that (i) you own all the rights to this Content or are authorized to use and distribute this Content on the AIM Product and (ii) this Content does not and will not infringe any copyright or any other third-party right nor violate any applicable law or regulation.

Although you or the owner of the Content retain ownership of all right, title and interest in Content that you post to any AIM Product, AOL owns all right, title and interest in any compilation, collective work or other derivative work created by AOL using or incorporating this Content. In addition, by posting Content on an AIM Product, you grant AOL, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents and licensees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote this Content in any medium. You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Content or to be compensated for any such uses.

Screenshot goodness in case they change it.
[Image: aoltos9sc.png]

That's a joke, right?
:blink:
AOL goes Big Brother! :shuriken:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
I have never liked AOL. Now I have another reason not to.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I don't care how many of my firends use AIM, I just got rid of it! I never really used it much anyway. Oh well, good riddance I say, regardless of how much it was used :).
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Well, it had to happen some day. After all, Microsoft can't be the only one severely abusing it's customers in the Terms of Service.
Heh, I remember when I first warned everyone I knew about mediaplayer 9 and the extra 'agreements' it came with. Everyone thought I was being paranoid.

Question: Does this apply to the software or the messaging network itself? 'Cause you can, after all, use programs such as trillian to connect to most (if not all) chat networks.
EDIT: Yeah, I suppose I could just click the link and find out for myself. So, by using alternate programs and not signing up for anything in the future, you can avoid the new terms completely. Still - this is just lovable!
DeeBye,Mar 11 2005, 11:44 PM Wrote:I saw this on Slashdot and I thought it was a joke until I looked into it.

That's a joke, right?
[right][snapback]70471[/snapback][/right]

Clauses like this are in many of the free web hosting agreements as well. I've read an author who ended up in court after posting some of their work on a free hosting website and then having the hosts sue after it was published. I don't remember how it all turned out. Was in the Seatle area, though I'm not getting any results, my Google Fu must not be strong today.

Of course applying this to instant messaging is even more insane. I want to see the Post Office or FedEx come out with one of these now.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
DeeBye,Mar 11 2005, 11:44 PM Wrote:I saw this on Slashdot and I thought it was a joke until I looked into it.

That's a joke, right?
[right][snapback]70471[/snapback][/right]

AOL and AIM have been forbidden in my home for a long time.

Glad to see my gut instincts were correct.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 12 2005, 09:44 AM Wrote:AOL and AIM have been forbidden in my home for a long time.

Glad to see my gut instincts were correct.

Occhi
[right][snapback]70502[/snapback][/right]
Better get rid of ICQ then as well since AIM owns ICQ too.

*still angry about the idiot network owner who refused contact through any medium except for AIM, including emails and PMs on his own boards.*
Intolerant monkey.
I'm slightly hazy on what exactly this means, but I know it's bad. Does this mean that when I put song lyrics from my favorite band in my AIM buddy info (as is a popular practice) that I'm certifying that I own the rights to that content AND I'm giving AOL rights to reproduce that content in any way, worldwide, at their convenience? What about links? If I simply put links to content in my info, can they still claim it?

Where's goldfish? I need a legal interpretation :P

--Copadope
Treesh,Mar 12 2005, 05:49 PM Wrote:Better get rid of ICQ then as well since AIM owns ICQ too.

*still angry about the idiot network owner who refused contact through any medium except for AIM, including emails and PMs on his own boards.*
[right][snapback]70503[/snapback][/right]

Wow, what an idiot :)

So what did happen there? AOL came and claimed the entire thing as their own or what? I'm curious :D
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Well, what would concern me more (assuming I am reading this correctly) is that they would need to have access to everyone's instant messages and such to be able to do this.
Soooo..... What you're saying is....

AOL = Suckage? :blink:
I have my own signature. Yay.
Quote: The following terms and conditions apply to all users who either registered for AIM services or downloaded AIM updates or software on or after February 5, 2004.

I got AIM before this date. Does that mean it doesn't apply to me?

That is a crazy disclaimer. Typical of AOL though. Hopefully someone will raise something over it.

Well I say try and steal my "Lol" Or they might actualy sue me for using that term because it's probaly copyrighted. -_-

Forunately this post I found on Slashdot described why this won't be that effective:
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/11/23592...&tid=158&tid=17
Quote:AOL users already incrypt all their transmissions. Take the simple sentence "Hey dude. What are you doing later? I was thinking we should go to the mall." which becomes incrypted as:

HEY DUDE11!!!1 OMG WUT R U DONG L8R????!?? LOL I WAS THINKNG W3 SHUD GO 2 DA MAL!!1!1!11 WTF LOL
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
pazuzu,Mar 12 2005, 09:41 AM Wrote:Question: Does this apply to the software or the messaging network itself? 'Cause you can, after all, use programs such as trillian to connect to most (if not all) chat networks.
EDIT: Yeah, I suppose I could just click the link and find out for myself. So, by using alternate programs and not signing up for anything in the future, you can avoid the new terms completely. Still - this is just lovable!
[right][snapback]70493[/snapback][/right]

Even if you use alternate AIM clients, you still had to register an AIM account and thus agree to the TOS.
Archon_Wing,Mar 12 2005, 07:56 PM Wrote:I got AIM before this date. Does that mean it doesn't apply to me?
[right][snapback]70549[/snapback][/right]

I suspect AOL could make it apply to you by using the catch-all "this TOS is subject to change at any time" clause.

Hey, here it is:

"Each time you use an AIM Product, you reaffirm your acceptance of the then-current Terms of Service."

"AOL may change the Terms of Service at any time and in its sole discretion. The modified Terms of Service will be effective immediately upon posting and you agree to the new posted Terms of Service by continuing your use of the AIM Products."
Archon_Wing,Mar 13 2005, 01:56 AM Wrote:I got AIM before this date. Does that mean it doesn't apply to me?
[right][snapback]70549[/snapback][/right]
It will apply to you if you update your AIM client or have updated it after that date. How long do you think it will take until they require you to update your client to be able to continue using it?
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
roguebanshee,Mar 13 2005, 12:51 PM Wrote:It will apply to you if you update your AIM client or have updated it after that date. How long do you think it will take until they require you to update your client to be able to continue using it?
[right][snapback]70599[/snapback][/right]

Actually, from what DeeBye just found, I believe it will apply if you use AIM after this update of their ToS (EULA?).
Treesh,Mar 12 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:Better get rid of ICQ then as well since AIM owns ICQ too.

[right][snapback]70503[/snapback][/right]

Do you see an ICQ icon on my profile? Nope, and you won't ever.

ICQ has been off my stuff since 1999. It was intrusive then. After about two months of having it, I uninstalled it. Zero value added.

I now and again uninstall AIM on this PC, since occasionally one of the other users does something dumb like click on an AIM or AOL icon on a web site. The process of ecudation continues.

And I add to the landfill each month when AOL sends me a CD offering me something wonderful if I just allow myself to be assimilated into the borg.

Barf.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Copadope,Mar 12 2005, 01:40 PM Wrote:I'm slightly hazy on what exactly this means, but I know it's bad. Does this mean that when I put song lyrics from my favorite band in my AIM buddy info (as is a popular practice) that I'm certifying that I own the rights to that content AND I'm giving AOL rights to reproduce that content in any way, worldwide, at their convenience? What about links? If I simply put links to content in my info, can they still claim it?

Where's goldfish? I need a legal interpretation :P
[right][snapback]70507[/snapback][/right]
What if your lyrics are from a song on the warner brothers lable? Does that mean that AOL/time-warner can sue you for illegally publishing their lyrics, and then sue you for giving them permision to use something they already own?
Occhidiangela,Mar 13 2005, 09:07 AM Wrote:And I add to the landfill each month when AOL sends me a CD offering me something wonderful if I just allow myself to be assimilated into the borg.&nbsp;
[right][snapback]70605[/snapback][/right]
I prefer using them as a coaster. I'm about to upgrade to 9.0 optimized (I'm currently only using an Americoaster 8.0)
[Image: DSCN0598.jpg]