HAPPY 8th MARCH
TO ALL THE WOMEN IN THE FORUM (AND IN THE WORLD :D ) HAPPY 8[size=1]th MARCH INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY! :) [/size]

International Women's Day

[Image: World%20March%20for%20Women%20IWD%208%20...erland.jpg]
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
maniajk,Mar 8 2005, 11:29 AM Wrote:TO ALL THE WOMEN IN THE FORUM (AND IN THE WORLD :D )  HAPPY 8[size=1]th MARCH INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY! :) [/size]

International Women's Day

[right][snapback]70043[/snapback][/right]

This brings back some childhood memories. Yeh, TO ALL THE COMMUNIST WOMEN IN THE FORUM (AND IN THE WORLD :D ) HAPPY 8[size=1]th MARCH COMMUNIST WOMEN'S DAY! :) [/size]

-A

Yay, I love women.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Ashock,Mar 8 2005, 08:52 PM Wrote:This brings back some childhood memories. Yeh, TO ALL THE COMMUNIST WOMEN IN THE FORUM (AND IN THE WORLD :D )  HAPPY 8[size=1]th MARCH COMMUNIST WOMEN'S DAY! :) [/size]
-A
[right][snapback]70044[/snapback][/right]

There is always a cynic <_< ! I'll be back here to congratulate 1st May and Ramadan Bairam! :D :P :)

[Image: buke.jpg][Image: hanataba_10.jpg][Image: arange_10.jpg]
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
I can't believe I almost forgot about March 14th.

With St. Patty's on Thursday, I love that week :wub:
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,Mar 8 2005, 11:36 PM Wrote:I can't believe I almost forgot about March 14th.

With St. Patty's on Thursday, I love that week :wub:
[right][snapback]70058[/snapback][/right]

ROFL

Now that's the spirit! keep it up!

maniajk,Mar 8 2005, 12:29 PM Wrote:International Women's Day

[right][snapback]70043[/snapback][/right]

The lyrics you linked to are just a bit much, a parody of one of John Lennon's worst pieces of tripe. Made me want to burn my bra, but I don't wear one. :P Really, how is it that John David Chapman fired six bullets at point blank range, and none of them hit Yoko? Who rolled the dice on that enounter? (Thanks, DL)

As to the photo: Atlas was a guy. :P

Woman, you're hard to ignore ~

you're a wife, you're a mother,

and so much more.

The up front combinatino is a challenge to get right. Funny, have any of you noticed those who try (or get stuck with having) to add father to that list and all the rest can morph into that stressed out "supermom" who needs therapy?

My mom: one hell of a woman. Raised 4 kids: yes, what a concept, raised her own kids, did not delegate it to THE STATE, THE COURTS, GRANDMA (who ws dead) or anyone else. Ran a household on a budget. Knew how to say NO. Put research into deciding on our family's diet, and we ate what she put in front of us, or nothing. Guess who got enlisted in preparing and serving all that? And learning by doing . . . the kids. Phi Beta kappa grad from college. Gave a gift money could never buy: herself.

Coached us in a variety of school subjects when we hit the brick wall in elementary school. Was a master at providing inexpensive craft projects for us to work on. Knew how to say "Turn off that TV" and mean it . . . and get us to obey.

Yeah, those first two are a career.

Once we were able to stand on our own feet, when my younger bro left 6th grade, she eased back into the professional workforce: half and for a couple of years full time in a small business a friend had started, to help pay for the other sibs' college and to put some dough away so Mom and Dad could get that house for just them: Which they bought the year my youngest bro entered college. She is 70+ and still works occasional part time with one of four different high tech firms who she's worked for over the past 20+ years . . . but on a light schedule, since she prefers to be basically retired and still enjoys being in love with, and around, and travelling with, and just being with the guy she married 50+ years ago.

A woman: much more than yet another body for the state or the corporate labor pool. But gee, that is such an old fashioned concept. Mrs Occhi and I are having a hell of a time filling Mom and Dad's shoes (her own mom and dad have a similar track record). Their achievements appear more godlike with every passing year: yet they are mere mortals.

So who is it who wants to keep piling so much more onto what they expect a woman to be? When I find them, maybe I can set them straight. Crap, Jonh Lennon is dead, maybe I'll pay someone to abuse Ringo Starr.

And to all of you women who aren't my Mom: here's to ya. :D

Men and women are different. Vive la difference. :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
maniajk,Mar 8 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:There is always a cynic <_< ! I'll be back here to congratulate 1st May and Ramadan Bairam!&nbsp; :D :P&nbsp; :)

[Image: buke.jpg][Image: hanataba_10.jpg][Image: arange_10.jpg]
[right][snapback]70048[/snapback][/right]

I'm not really a cynic. I'm a realist.

-A
Quote:The lyrics you linked to are just a bit much, a parody of one of John Lennon's worst pieces of tripe.&nbsp; Made me want to burn my bra, but I don't wear one.&nbsp; :P&nbsp; Really, how is it that John David Chapman fired six bullets at point blank range, and none of them hit Yoko?&nbsp; Who rolled the dice on that enounter?&nbsp; (Thanks, DL)

Woman, you're hard to ignore ~

you're a wife, you're a mother,

and so much more.

I didn't know that, I have a friend who is a big fan of the Beatles but he's never around when I need him :unsure: ! Anyway, I only used those lyrics because they were the only ones I could find in english with the appropriate topic :huh:.

Quote:As to the photo:&nbsp; Atlas was a guy.&nbsp; :P

I was just trying to show how women are the ones who bear all of humanity, literally. :lol:

Quote:The up front combinatino is a challenge to get right.&nbsp; Funny, have any of you noticed those who try (or get stuck with having) to add father to that list and all the rest can morph into that stressed out "supermom" who needs therapy?

Sorry if that caused any kind offence :unsure: to anyone, it's just that IWD is a national holiday in my country. I had a great time today buying presents for every woman i know: my mother, my grandmothers, my ants, my classmates, my friends, my techers, my cousins, etc. Also today only the male profesors and students needed show up for class, witch made the whole day short, but hilarious :lol: since we all got F-s in the absence of all intelligent the people in the classroom :blush:!

Quote:My mom: one hell of a woman.&nbsp; Raised 4 kids: yes, what a concept, raised her own kids, did not delegate it to THE STATE, THE COURTS, GRANDMA (who ws dead) or anyone else.&nbsp; Ran a household on a budget.&nbsp; Knew how to say NO.&nbsp; Put research into deciding on our family's diet, and we ate what she put in front of us, or nothing.&nbsp; Guess who got enlisted in preparing and serving all that?&nbsp; And learning by doing . . . the kids.&nbsp; &nbsp; Phi Beta kappa grad from college.&nbsp; Gave a gift money could never buy: herself.

Coached us in a variety of school subjects when we hit the brick wall in elementary school.&nbsp; Was a master at providing inexpensive craft projects for us to work on.&nbsp; Knew how to say "Turn off that TV" and mean it . . . and get us to obey.

Yeah, those first two are a career.

Once we were able to stand on our own feet, when my younger bro left 6th grade, she eased back into the professional workforce: half and for a couple of years full time in a small business a friend had started, to help pay for the other sibs' college and to put some dough away so Mom and Dad could get that house for just them:&nbsp; Which they bought the year my youngest bro entered college.&nbsp; She is 70+ and still works occasional part time with one of four different high tech firms who she's worked for over the past 20+ years . . . but on a light schedule, since she prefers to be basically retired and still enjoys being in love with, and around, and travelling with, and just being with the guy she married 50+ years ago.

WOW :o That reminds me of my grandmothers (I'm 16), one had eight children and put them all through college including my mother, without the help of my overstereotyped granfather, she passed away four years ago :( . My other grandmother is alive and well, "one of Tito's athletic youth" :D , she's in perfect physical condition and cares for my bedtied grandfather, she should be more than 70 years old, but doesn't look a day over 40 :blink: !

Quote:A woman: much more than yet another body for the state or the corporate labor pool.&nbsp; But gee, that is such an old fashioned concept.&nbsp; Mrs Occhi and I are having a hell of a time filling Mom and Dad's shoes (her own mom and dad have a similar track record).&nbsp; Their achievements appear more godlike with every passing year: yet they are mere mortals.

I completely agree with you!

Quote:So who is it who wants to keep piling so much more onto what they expect a woman to be?&nbsp; When I find them, maybe I can set them straight.&nbsp; Crap, Jonh Lennon is dead, maybe I'll pay someone to abuse Ringo Starr.

I believe every individual has the right to be whatever they want to be and to ignore social stereotypes.

Quote:And to all of you women who aren't my Mom: here's to ya.&nbsp; :D&nbsp;

Men and women are different.&nbsp; Vive la difference.&nbsp; :D

Occhi

Amen to that! :rolleyes:

P.S. Don't take it out on Ringo he was the last one to join the band. :P

I hope you'll be here to post a backdated happy March 1st (St. David's Day) or I'll have to brand you a, er, terrorist, or racist, or English sympathiser! (note, Welsh in-joke, no offence intended to anyone)
Hey Mith- Please remember to warn people before you post a link like that. Thanks.
Occhidiangela,Mar 9 2005, 11:16 AM Wrote:As to the photo:&nbsp; Atlas was a guy.&nbsp; :P

Only according to legend ...
Anybody remember the Star Trek: DS9 episode "Statistical Probabilities" where the genetically enhanced/mentally disturbed people are brought to the station? At one point, they tie Bashir to a chair. My Star Trek calendar page for 3/8 was from that episode, while Bashir is unconscious, no less. The calendar part of the tearoff page marks the 8th as International Women's Day too.

:)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Bob,Mar 8 2005, 05:00 PM Wrote:I hope you'll be here to post a backdated happy March 1st (St. David's Day) or I'll have to brand you a, er, terrorist, or racist, or English sympathiser! (note, Welsh in-joke, no offence intended to anyone)
[right][snapback]70072[/snapback][/right]

So what did the English ever do to the Welsh, other than generally trying to conquer them (not to mention everyone else), and add some esthetic stony ruins to the already rocky terrain?

[Image: harlech01.jpg]
Mithrandir,Mar 8 2005, 04:36 PM Wrote:I can't believe I almost forgot about March 14th.

[right][snapback]70058[/snapback][/right]

Much preferable to White Day, I would assume? ;)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Bob,Mar 8 2005, 07:00 PM Wrote:I hope you'll be here to post a backdated happy March 1st (St. David's Day) or I'll have to brand you a, er, terrorist, or racist, or English sympathiser! (note, Welsh in-joke, no offence intended to anyone)
[right][snapback]70072[/snapback][/right]

Would that not be Saint Daffydd? Maybe not. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Thecla,Mar 9 2005, 03:02 AM Wrote:So what did the English ever do to the Welsh, other than generally trying to conquer them (not to mention everyone else), and add some esthetic stony ruins to the already rocky terrain?

[Image: harlech01.jpg]
[right][snapback]70099[/snapback][/right]

1. They weren't ruins when they built them, they were Middle Ages "cribs" for the gangsta Brist doing Edward's, and other king's, bidding.

2. Trying to conquer them? I'd say they succeeded, territorially, though it seems that the Welshmen's spirit remains indomitable.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
whyBish,Mar 8 2005, 11:10 PM Wrote:Only according to legend ...
[right][snapback]70093[/snapback][/right]

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Casting doubt, and being generally iconoclastic, is hardly the basis for refuting well established . . . mythology. :D Of course, there is still the matter of how darned tough a female Titan had to be to give birth to the hundred eyed monster . . . sounds like a rather tough labor to me. :P Talk about a face only a mother could love!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hail, Ducky One,

how dearly I remember...

and as for Women's Day: wasn't the red-haired one a fine specimen of *ducks away from the battleaxe thrown th him*

Anyway,
Take care,

Lord_Olf
"I don't like to brag, I don't like to boast, but I like hot butter on my breakfast toast!" - Flea
Here's to women everywhere!

(Especially this one)

:wub:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw