Friends don't let Friends kill Friends
Wandering around the internet, I followed a few links to a sad story where some Lavtian boys allegedly beat up and then threw into a river one of their acquaintances, who of course died. Guess they were trying to be more like teenagers in their new NATO ally, America, who do this sort of stuff all the time. (For those whose coffee is still brewing: sarcasm intended in that last bit.)

These fine lads were portrayed as the dead boy's friends.

Friends.

The TV show made from this group of friends is right up Wes Craven's alley, or maybe Quentin Tarantino's. The Latvian export version of GTA/San Andreas could be renamed GTA/Valmiera. 'Twould probably sell better with that packaging.

Quote:A 14-year-old schoolboy has been brutally killed in Latvia's north-eastern town of Valmiera by friends who say they were inspired by a video game, a spokeswoman for the police in Riga said Tuesday.

Let's put aside disdain for those who blame a video game, rock and roll show, movie, TV show, D & D, what have you for various arseholiness. Something in this story stinks.

The lackwit who wrote it, or who translated it from Latvian.

Friends don't beat the snot out of you, five on one, try to break your neck in emulation of Mortal Combat or Tekken or Street Fighter, and then throw you in the river. Latvian rivers in March are EFFING COLD!

Quote:The boys described how they beat up their friend, Marcis, born in 1991, and threw his body in the nearby Gauja river, according to the head of Valmiera police department Juris Andersons.

Friend, huh? Someone needs to advise the alleged journalist who wrote this article, if the baseline facts are indeed as depicted (I wonder at that) what means friend. Amico. Amigo. Freund. Pan-yo. Compañero.

How about "fellow juvenile gang members?" May be a reach, but given what I know about how kids get "beat into" gangs in San Diego County, California, the facts as depicted (again, possibly in error) smack of a gang initiation gone fatal . . . or possibly a murder gone well. Or, a typical idiocy induced FUBAR. Maybe they were dorking around and the neck breaking trick worked, so in a panic they threw him into the river to hide the evidence of their FUBAR. Eventually one of the boys could not hold it in. Possible.

Makes me wonder: Was this the kid who hung out with them, even though they usually played all the practical jokes on him? Is he the one who was the gang "biznatch?" Was he the newbie?

Friend. Tovarich. (Wonder what the Latvian word is for friend.)

With friends like that, I'd be inviting Kim Jong Il over to the house first . . .

And now for the "so what."

Quote:Three teenagers aged between 14 and 16, were still in police detention, but two boys aged 13 had been freed Monday, as legal responsibility for a criminal offence under the Latvian law comes into force only from age 14.

Joy. And in America, if you are under 18 and plot a gruesome murder, as would a sick adult, last week our Supreme Court ruled that it ain't Constitutional to execute you as an adult, even though you were trying "to act as one." BAH. This, on a case where the perp bragged to his buddies that he could pull it off and not hang. (Hmmmmm, are there woodchippers in prison?)

Quote:"It is difficult for me to explain the motivation of this brutal crime," said Rudite Markus, the headmaster of Valmiera high school where Marcis was a pupil.  "You can blame the video games for some influence, and you cannot fail to notice the onslaught of violence on TV screens."

You can blame the games, but I'd look a little deeper than that, Mr. Headmaster. A motive of kicks from violence is not out of the question. Or a FUBAR as noted above.

Quote:A year ago a pupil, addicted to videogames, killed a video saloon attendant in downtown Riga to get a few lats (dollars) to continue the game, which ended in tragedy.

The game ended in tragedy, I guess. As written, it appears that the death of the saloon attendant preceded the REAL tragedy. Is life so cheap, in Latvia, if you are a video game attendant? I doubt it. Just a crappy journalist.

Here is a thought: An addict, like a speed or heroin addict, killing someone for some money for his next "hit?" Might that be where the psychologists investigate motivation? Compulsive behaviour? We here at the Lounge all understand what a Game addiction can do to our judgment, eh? :blink: Uh, no, there are no bodies in my back yard! :angry:

Quote:If proved guilty, the detained boys could get a life sentence or imprisonment up to 20 years.

If the facts are as alleged, and they killed him on purpose, may these potential rocket scientists enjoy no less than 20 years in the Latvian version of "a federal pound me in the arse prison."

Or, make them enlist in the UN Army, for life, and be forced to serve as UN peacekeepers forever. Oh, wait, the UN does not have an Army, does it?

Does it?

Occhi

EDIT: Starbucks wept.

http://komonews.com/stories/35494.htm

Can someone please stop with "the devil made me do it" crap? Please? That was a joke on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In TV show, not a finding of Jung and Freud.

*runs to the bathroom, the breakfast is rising at the thought of this idiocy run amok . . .*
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Maybe its a terrible typo .... they meant "Fiends" ?? I think , for their punishment , they should all duke it out on the banks of this river , all the losers get to freeze in the same river , the winner gets the 20 years in prison where he can make new friends ...
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Occhidiangela,Mar 7 2005, 09:11 AM Wrote:http://komonews.com/stories/35494.htm

Can someone please stop with "the devil made me do it" crap?  Please?  That was a joke on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In TV show, not a finding of Jung and Freud.
[right][snapback]69909[/snapback][/right]

Lack of personal responsibility and a generation of "victims" are weakening my confidence in the human race and the USA. The entitlement mentality of our citizens (and illegal immigrants) is very tiresome and is becoming quite common.

Video games, movies, and tv's are not babysitters! Parents need to take some responsibility for what their kids are involved in. I am not saying send the parent to jail if the child commits a crime. I also do not want the finger pointed at the manufacturer of a product. Rating systems are there for a reason even if the standards seem to be loosened every few years. Please, teach children responsibility and respect. Unfortunately, children learn by example and many adults lack those traits too.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Nit: Isn't the Russian word for friend "drug", whereas tovarish translates to "comrade"?

(apologies for the poor transliteration...)

Apparently the Latvian is "draugs", which doesn't really surprise me much, except that that appears to the singular form, which is disconcerting to my english brain. :P

My two kopeks,

Jester
Jester,Mar 8 2005, 07:00 AM Wrote:Nit: Isn't the Russian word for friend "drug", whereas tovarish translates to "comrade"?

Pretty much, yes.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Quote:EDIT:  Starbucks wept. 

Can someone please stop with "the devil made me do it" crap?  Please?  That was a joke on Rowan and Martin's Laugh In TV show, not a finding of Jung and Freud.

*runs to the bathroom, the breakfast is rising at the thought of this idiocy run amok . . .*

Thanks for that link, Occhi.

I'm going to have to find out who's involved with committee and do the American thing by writing a few letters. :shuriken:

Heck, maybe a phonecall or two.

Hope it's no one from this district.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Jester,Mar 8 2005, 01:00 AM Wrote:Nit: Isn't the Russian word for friend "drug", whereas tovarish translates to "comrade"?

Apparently the Latvian is "draugs", which doesn't really surprise me much, except that that appears to the singular form, which is disconcerting to my english brain. :P

My two kopeks,

Jester
[right][snapback]70006[/snapback][/right]

Good point, and tovarich has certain political connotations anymore. Ashock had a pretty good explanation of that a few years back, I think on the old forum.

I should have looked it up . . . or asked my brother, who speaks almost fluent Russian. Likewise, compañero has different connotations than amigo. One can trip over synonyms if one does not attach a dictionary to one's thesaurus.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 7 2005, 05:11 PM Wrote:Wandering around the internet, I followed a few links to a sad story where some Lavtian boys allegedly beat up and then threw into a river one of their acquaintances, who of course died.  Guess they were trying to be more like teenagers in their new NATO ally, America, who do this sort of stuff all the time.  (For those whose coffee is still brewing: sarcasm intended in that last bit.)

These fine lads were portrayed as the dead boy's friends. 

Friends. 

The TV show made from this group of friends is right up Wes Craven's alley, or maybe Quentin Tarantino's.  The Latvian export version of GTA/San Andreas could be renamed GTA/Valmiera.  'Twould probably sell better with that packaging.
Let's put aside disdain for those who blame a video game, rock and roll show, movie, TV show, D & D, what have you for various arseholiness.  Something in this story stinks. 

The lackwit who wrote it, or who translated it from Latvian.

Friends don't beat the snot out of you, five on one, try to break your neck in emulation of Mortal Combat or Tekken or Street Fighter, and then throw you in the river.  Latvian rivers in March are EFFING COLD!
Friend, huh?  Someone needs to advise the alleged journalist who wrote this article, if the baseline facts are indeed as depicted (I wonder at that) what means friend.  Amico.  Amigo.  Freund.  Pan-yo.  Compañero.

How about "fellow juvenile gang members?"  May be a reach, but given what I know about how kids get "beat into" gangs in San Diego County, California, the facts as depicted (again, possibly in error) smack of a gang initiation gone fatal . . . or possibly a murder gone well.  Or, a typical idiocy induced FUBAR. Maybe they were dorking around and the neck breaking trick worked, so in a panic they threw him into the river to hide the evidence of their FUBAR.  Eventually one of the boys could not hold it in.  Possible. 

Makes me wonder:  Was this the kid who hung out with them, even though they usually played all the practical jokes on him?  Is he the one who was the gang "biznatch?"  Was he the newbie?

Friend.  Tovarich.  (Wonder what the Latvian word is for friend.)

With friends like that, I'd be inviting Kim Jong Il over to the house first . . .

And now for the "so what."
Joy.  And in America, if you are under 18 and plot a gruesome murder, as would a sick adult, last week our Supreme Court ruled that it ain't Constitutional to execute you as an adult, even though you were trying "to act as one."  BAH.  This, on a case where the perp bragged to his buddies that he could pull it off and not hang.  (Hmmmmm, are there woodchippers in prison?)
You can blame the games, but I'd look a little deeper than that, Mr. Headmaster.  A motive of kicks from violence is not out of the question.  Or a FUBAR as noted above.
The game ended in tragedy, I guess.  As written, it appears that the death of the saloon attendant preceded the REAL tragedy.  Is life so cheap, in Latvia, if you are a video game attendant?  I doubt it.  Just a crappy journalist.

Here is a thought:  An addict, like a speed or heroin addict, killing someone for some money for his next "hit?"  Might that be where the psychologists investigate motivation?  Compulsive behaviour?  We here at the Lounge all understand what a Game addiction can do to our judgment, eh?  :blink:  Uh, no, there are no bodies in my back yard!  :angry:
If the facts are as alleged, and they killed him on purpose, may these potential rocket scientists enjoy no less than 20 years in the Latvian version of "a federal pound me in the arse prison." 

Or, make them enlist in the UN Army, for life, and be forced to serve as UN peacekeepers forever.  Oh, wait, the UN does not have an Army, does it?

Does it?

Occhi

EDIT:  Starbucks wept. 

[right][snapback]69909[/snapback][/right]

u said Friends don't let Friends kill Friends. my reply is or do they
08leader,Mar 10 2005, 08:37 AM Wrote:u said Friends don't let Friends kill Friends. my reply is      or do they
[right][snapback]70230[/snapback][/right]

In response to your incisive post, I can only suggest two courses of action that will lead you to the path of enlightenment.

Course of Action 1.

A. Locate your nearest industrial strength woodchipper.

B. Dive in, head first.

C. Mankind will thank you.

If that appears too drastic a step . . .

Course of Action 2.

A. Get back under the bridge.

B. Find the gray matter that leaked out of your ears

C. Stuff it back into your brain using a long handled, wooden spoon.

D. If unable to find the gray matter, or a spoon, execute Course of Action 1.

:P

Ciao

Occhi

PS: There is no spoon. :whistling:
In Memory of Pete
Jester,Mar 8 2005, 09:00 AM Wrote:Nit: Isn't the Russian word for friend "drug", whereas tovarish translates to "comrade"?

My two kopeks,

Jester
[right][snapback]70006[/snapback][/right]

So whats your point? In most slavic languages the word "drug" means "comrade"! :D
I spent the first five years of my life in a communist system and nobody called me or anyone else "drug" or "druže" (vokativ of "drug") :huh:.

Where I come from that had been sort of a "tittle" for someone who was an "active" member of the communist party, hardly for a minor. :P

Among our selves, we called each other "prijatelj" which means "friend". :rolleyes:

If you ask me I think the translation must be really bad! :rolleyes:
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

It would take more than 2.5 minutes to fall from the top of Mt. Everest.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
Well, I can hardly claim to be an expert in slavic languages. I can only speak Russian at an *extremely* marginal level, and I could only get Latvian by looking at an online dictionary. Polish, Ukranian, Belorussian, etc... are a complete mystery to me.

What I was taught is that, in Russia, "drug" would only apply to your close friends, and not to the broad network of people that we English-speakers would call "friend". Also, I was taught that "tovarish" had clear political connotations. But, then, maybe my prof. was off the ball.

More likely, it just has different connotations in different countries and regions. What's your frame of reference?

Jester
Jester,Mar 10 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:Well, I can hardly claim to be an expert in slavic languages. I can only speak Russian at an *extremely* marginal level, and I could only get Latvian by looking at an online dictionary. Polish, Ukranian, Belorussian, etc... are a complete mystery to me.

What I was taught is that, in Russia, "drug" would only apply to your close friends, and not to the broad network of people that we English-speakers would call "friend". Also, I was taught that "tovarish" had clear political connotations. But, then, maybe my prof. was off the ball.

More likely, it just has different connotations in different countries and regions. What's your frame of reference?

Jester
[right][snapback]70255[/snapback][/right]

Sorry about that, maybe your right! :P

Does anyone have a link to the original story I would like to have alook at it? :blink:
It is a myth that the hair and nails grow after death! The skin shrinks, giving the illusion of their growth.

When J.F.K. was assassinated in 1963, it was not a federal felony to kill a U.S. President.

The leading cause of death to military personnel in peace time is drunk driving.

0xDECAFBAD is a hex oddity, a coincidence of hexadecimal digits which just happens to hold some incidental semantic content to weird humans.
Yes, that is tragic, but people have to realize that #$%& happens all the time and usually we don't even know about it! :ph34r:

They also have to realize that people kill people because they CHOSE to kill them, not because they played to much GTA or any other violent video game! ;)

It's THEIR choice completely and completely THEIR responsobility!
It's not the responsability of the gun they fired or the car they drowe or the voice(s) in their head or the votka they drank! ;)
Why!? Because it was their choice to drink the vodka and their choice not to see a shrink! :(

As for the "addict" shoting the atenddant, there are some I would like to shot just for cutting that one minute from my account when ever I would like to "Pause" for a few minutes :angry: , and for installing Tibia on every computer instead of getting some real games for me and my friends to play on their LAN :( !

P.S. The reason the kids that killed him were called "drugs" lay somewhere deep in the post communist mentalaty of the second world. I could spend hundreds of posts trying to explain it, but take a look at this instead. :P

Note: I live in Bosnia! :mellow: