What are you paying for your internet service?
Let's have some structure here. I think it might be an interesting thing to compare internet service packages.

Use this a template for your replies.

COUNTRY
Canada

SERVICE PROVIDER
Rogers

TYPE
Cable

PRICE
$32.21 per month in Canadian dollars, or $26.14 USD at the current exchange rate. This includes modem rental.

SPEED
3.0 Mbps down, 384 Kbps up

RESTRICTIONS
60 GB combined download/upload limit per month, starting March 17, 2005. I don't know what the cost per exceeded GB will be, and I really don't care. I'll never reach this mark. No servers.

PERKS
-Unlimited photo storage
-2 GB email inbox storage
-9 email addresses
-20 MB email attachment limit
-hosting that I have yet to look into
COUNTRY
USA

COMPANY
Fiber-To-The-Home

TYPE
Fibre-optic

PRICE
US$45.95, bundled with my phone service

SPEED
3mb -- very fast

RESTRICTIONS
I haven't found any. I haven't tried to push any limits. Did get 5 e-mail addresses.
COUNTRY
USA

SERVICE PROVIDER
???

TYPE
Six separate highspeed wireless connections

PRICE
$0/month

SPEED
currently: 54.0 Mbps down, ? Kbps up

RESTRICTIONS
Don't get caught

PERKS
-its free
-(6) someones doesn't know how to password their wireless connection
Level 60 UD Mage - Spirestone
Level 20 Troll Rogue - Spirestone
Quote:PERKS
-its free
-(6) someones doesn't know how to password their wireless connection
[right][snapback]69905[/snapback][/right]

Ahh, this post alone makes me so glad I set up the filter as well as encryption on my wireless network. Kind of a nuisance when friends with laptops come by, but well worth it.
Baajikiil,Mar 7 2005, 11:10 AM Wrote:Ahh, this post alone makes me so glad I set up the filter as well as encryption on my wireless network.  Kind of a nuisance when friends with laptops come by, but well worth it.
[right][snapback]69908[/snapback][/right]

I just cant believe that there are SIX different wireless networks just floating around out there in the apartment complex I'm in.
Savingsupertokyo,Mar 7 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:I just cant believe that there are SIX different wireless networks just floating around out there in the apartment complex I'm in.
[right][snapback]69912[/snapback][/right]

What cracks me up are the folks that contact my library to say that they were able to get on and use our wireless connection easily. That we should lock it down because just anyone can get on and use it. Locking down the connection that we provide as a free service would be counterproductive in my view. ;) They also don't take a look and see exactly how little they can do with that connection either. ;)
COUNTRY
Texas

SERVICE PROVIDER
Time-Warner Cable (Roadrunner)
Illuminati Online

TYPE
Cable
Telnet Access

PRICE
$45 a month to Time-Warner, including a $10 discount for getting a bunch of cable channels I don't watch anymore.
$10 a month to IO, plus $2 an hour in the event I use their dial-up. Hasn't happened yet. :)

Fast(er) patch downloads from Blizzard: Priceless.

SPEED
10 Mbps down, some arbitrary amount up that I never use.
56K for IO.

RESTRICTIONS
Beats me. Probably no servers.

PERKS
Up to 5 e-mail addresses from TW.
One e-mail address from IO that I've had for 10 years now and am relucatant to abandon, for fear of destroying the spam economy of the world.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Mar 7 2005, 02: Wrote:COUNTRY
Texas
[right][snapback]69919[/snapback][/right]

When did Texas become a country? ;)
Tal,Mar 7 2005, 01:28 PM Wrote:When did Texas become a country? ;)
[right][snapback]69921[/snapback][/right]
1836 ;)
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Mar 7 2005, 03:36 PM Wrote:1836  ;)
[right][snapback]69922[/snapback][/right]

Wise guy. :P
Tal,Mar 7 2005, 02:28 PM Wrote:When did Texas become a country? ;)

In 1836. There was some paperwork filed in 1845 that implied Texas became a part of the United States but I'm not sure how that turned out. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Tal,Mar 7 2005, 01:42 PM Wrote:Wise guy. :P
[right][snapback]69924[/snapback][/right]
Like you really expected anything else from me. ;)
Intolerant monkey.
COUNTRY
USA

SERVICE PROVIDER
Purdue University

TYPE
LAN/T1

PRICE
$55/yr

RESTRICTIONS
3 GB combined download/upload limit per day. I have gotten two tickets for going over the limit.

PERKS
-500 MB webspace
-unlimited email space
-1 Purdue email address
-unlimited attachment
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
pakman,Mar 7 2005, 01:56 PM Wrote:COUNTRY
USA

SERVICE PROVIDER
Purdue University

TYPE
LAN/T1

PRICE
$55/yr

RESTRICTIONS
3 GB combined download/upload limit per day. I have gotten two tickets for going over the limit.

PERKS
-500 MB webspace
-unlimited email space
-1 Purdue email address
-unlimited attachment
[right][snapback]69931[/snapback][/right]

At Texas A&M the internet connections in the dorm are included in room rent. Bandwidth shaped T3 is still pretty fast. And they don't care about the dl/ul limit except for repeat (read: going over the limit for a week straight) offenders. Perks: A&M email, A&M webspace.

Theres a DC++ hub on campus and I routinely transfer 10-15GB every week or so.
COUNTRY
USA, Missouri

SERVICE PROVIDER
Fidelity Communications

TYPE
Cable

PRICE
Way too much
$59.95 / month + $3 for an additional IP address. This is actually discounted some amount though because we have telephone and cable TV through them as well.

SPEED
768 Kbps down, 256 Kbps up

RESTRICTIONS
None. I'm technically not supposed to run servers, but I have and they don't care. The IP's are technically dynamic, but none of the 3 I get have changed in the last 8 months.

PERKS
5 e-mail accounts
10 MB webspace
Free dial-up back-up service (never used it)
A live usenet feed

It sucks, but Sprint DSL sucks even more. Those are the only 2 broadband options in the area.

---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Tal,Mar 7 2005, 01:28 PM Wrote:When did Texas become a country? ;)

1836, Republic of Texas founded. Next question?

(March 6 of that year the Alamo fell, a few weeks later Fannin cocked it all up at Goliad, and a few weeks after that was the Battle of San Jacinto and shortly thereafter Independence .)

**Now, there is the small problem of 1845, when the Republic of Texas was supposed to Annex the U.S. of A. Seems that the reps Sam Houston sent to Washington were a bit drunk and got fooled by the Philiadlphia lawyers representing the U.S, result being that Texas ended up joining the US. Slight over sight, really . . . it was just a paperwork drill!

Friends don't let friends drink and sign! hehe

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:PERKS
-500 MB webspace

Ugh. I hate you! Boston University charges 200$ a year (as well as 200$ for cable TV, starting next year) on top of 9k-13k housing (dependent on where you dorm, etc).

They give us for personal sites a grand total of (drum roll please)... 2 megs! I already requested an increase, and have achieved a coveted 10 megs of space. I am trying to get it bumped even higher (for hosting purposes) through a friend who works for the network department.

A side note: At my brother's university (which shall remain nameless for reasons soon to be apparent) he's been able to wire himself directly into the network without being firewalled. Registered domain nsame to the static IP addres, masked to look like traffic is going to the department website=limited only by how many HD's we can throw into his computer.

Sorry for the slight hijack Deebye.

COUNTRY
USA, MA, Boston

SERVICE PROVIDER
Boston University

TYPE
Lan/T1

PRICE
200$ a year

SPEED
I don't know the specs (I'll edit post when I have time to look it up later)
Actual experience: 700k a sec down

RESTRICTIONS
None (I've downloaded straight for a month without a notice)

PERKS
Email account
10 MB webspace (2mb without request for more)
We pay about $5-7k for the dorm depending if you want air conditioning and all the other niceties...oh and which dorm you live in ;). But add out of state tuition and you're paying ~$25k/yr. The cable is included in the residence hall price, but we only get about 40 channels..none of which I watch because I spend all my time on my computer.

2 MB!?!? Wow. That's a picture and a Word document. We can only get our space upped to a 1GB if we are part of the computer graphics technology dept. Those guys use all kinds of space for whatever it is they do.

We also get a separate school email, i.e., I have a civil engineering email account. I'm too lazy to set it up, though ;). I think the fastest download speed I have gotten is 3Mb/s and 3Mb/s up over things like AIM, but this is for stuff that is across campus, not downloading or uploading to a website or ftp.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Well, now....

Since I have the same ISP as you, DeeBye, I was just going to say "Ditto" for the service.

However, I just looked again at the service pack I am getting. You seem to be getting the same services as I do, but you are paying for the "Lite" service and I am paying for the "Express" service. How did you manage that? :blink:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Mar 8 2005, 08:30 AM Wrote:Well, now....

Since I have the same ISP as you, DeeBye, I was just going to say "Ditto" for the service.

However, I just looked again at the service pack I am getting.  You seem to be getting the same services as I do, but you are paying for the "Lite" service and I am paying for the "Express" service.  How did you manage that?  :blink:
[right][snapback]70021[/snapback][/right]

Since I also use Rogers as my cable TV provider and for my wireless phone service, I qualified for a 15% discount under their Better Choice Bundles plan. There is no catch other than signing up for a 2 year contract (the early cancellation fee is the total savings accumulated up to the point of cancellation).

If you're using Rogers for at leat one other service, you're eligible. There is no reason not to sign up.

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/bundles/main.asp