Neverwinter Nights 2
I've been trying to find a game to play for a few months until D2/SWTOR or Dragonage or whatever come out. Has anyone played NWN2, and how was it? I played NWN1 and was not particularly impressed. OTOH, BG2 was one of my all time favorites. Where does this game fall, especially compared to the above two?Also, vanilla please, as I am not planning to dl any mods.

tia
Slight necropost, but I do know a few things about the game if you're still wondering. Mechanically, it plays much more seamlessly than NWN1, especially for spellcaster characters. The interface is more user-friendly in general. Character design options have been expanded with new races, classes, abilities, and assorted doodads. NWN1 made the claim that you could approximate pretty much any character concept; NWN2 backs that claim up.

While there are still some side quests, the focus is much more towards the primary story line, which branches to some degree based on your choices. Conversations with major NPCs and party members (yes, you get an actual party as opposed to a lone mercenary, and *gasp* they actually have personalities!) often play out in a cinematic view, although minor dialogues retain a similar format to NWN1. Interactions between your travelling companions offer some excellent comic relief at times, especially the ones involving the dwarf you meet early.

In short NWN2 improves on its predecessor in just about every possible way. As to how it stacks up against BG2 ... no idea, never played that one.
I played both. BG2 remains king. NWN2 is an ok game, I finished it, but it's all about combat around a pretty weak story. And spellcasters are gods because they can recharge all their spells between each and every fight. I finished it, liked it, but it ain't no BG2, which still reigns supreme.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
You might want to try Planescape: Torment. I've never played it, but everyone I know that enjoyed Baldur's Gate and its sequel said PS:T was pretty much a better version.

--me
Quote:You might want to try Planescape: Torment. I've never played it, but everyone I know that enjoyed Baldur's Gate and its sequel said PS:T was pretty much a better version.

I think the ship has just about sailed on this one. My Torment disc 1 somehow got cracked (in the literal sense that is, it looks like someone stuck a steak knife through it and doesn't seem to work any more) last winter, and I looked to see if anyone sells it any more. It is only on the secondary market and people were selling used copies for like $70. :o