Target target targeting my target
Ravage,Mar 29 2005, 10:16 AM Wrote:Oh man, I am in heaven.  This thing works great.
I did run into some oddities and one error.

I discovered that you could target a mob, and it would set your target on the player that  is targeting this mob.  Might be useful in a large group to focus your attack power buffs on players actually attacking a specific mob.

Hmmm... I have code that if the target is an enemy it should do nothing. Was this by chance a yellow mob?

Quote:I also noticed that it would not tell you who is targeting a member of an opposing faction.  The reason for this is that, while it appears you can assist mobs, you cannot assist members of the opposite faction.  This limits it's usefulness in PvP and Battlegrounds, however that is not any concern of mine.

Noted. I wasn't sure if you could assist someone from the other faction :(

Quote:Finally, if you target a non-aggressive mob (one with a yellow name above their head), and then hit the hotkey, you get an error for some reason. Somehting about a nil value.  I did not write down the error, but I can tonight if you need.

I believe you have provided me plenty of information to reproduce this -- it is a case I didn't consider.

Thanks a ton for the feedback! I'll get these fixed up soon.
Anyone have any suggestions where to permanently host this? I've put a link to my own personal web server, but that is running on a 133MHz HP PA-RISC box from the 60s.

I don't want to spend any money or have any hassle for it, but where would I put something like this up for download?
vor_lord,Mar 29 2005, 09:21 AM Wrote:Hmmm... I have code that if the target is an enemy it should do nothing.  Was this by chance a yellow mob?
[right][snapback]72273[/snapback][/right]

No, this was with red mobs, however, I was not in combat at the time. I do not know how the game determines "enemies" so even though that mob is hostile toward me, it doesn't necessarly mean it is my enemy. I will need to do more testing on this one to see if I can do this on a mob while in combat with that mob.

Nicely done!

I'll probably tweak this for my own use to clear & store a list of healers (and optionally other squishies) names using slashcommands, and for each mob tabbed through, check to see if it's targetting ANY healer (good for raids and/or runs with multiple healers).

Upside is then you can hotkey it without actively selecting a healer. Downside is it's hard to save one particular guy. Maybe put both versions in the same mod with seperate hotkeys...

[edit: try submitting it to Curse Gaming and letting them host.]
Olon97,Mar 29 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:I'll probably tweak this for my own use to clear & store a list of healers (and optionally other squishies) names using slashcommands, and for each mob tabbed through, check to see if it's targetting ANY healer (good for raids and/or runs with multiple healers).

I think this is a good idea. Since I still don't know any Lua this would provide an opportunity to learn it (specifically tables).

What behavior would you want? I could do the scan mentioned above in this fashion, as long as you only cared that I report a single mob of each type targeting each healer (or other friendly of interest).

Then there is the matter of reporting it back to the player. Actually making my own display frames is another level of complexity -- I could do something kind of simple right now but it wouldn't look super nice.

Quote:[edit: try submitting it to Curse Gaming and letting them host.]
[right][snapback]72325[/snapback][/right]

That's a good idea. Someone on the UI forums also offered to host it, but I'd like to be able to easily update the information around it -- hopefully curse will let me do that.

No one has a name suggestion? Vika's macro (on the official forum link above) is being called the ProtectHealer macro. ProtectYourFriends ?
vor_lord,Mar 29 2005, 10:21 AM Wrote:I believe you have provided me plenty of information to reproduce this -- it is a case I didn't consider.

[right][snapback]72273[/snapback][/right]

Ravage, I was unable to reproduce either of these problems. Can you help me with more specific information? I did notice that a neutral mob would not give the early exit (and thus it would search for an enemy targeting the neutral), and that can be fixed but I got no script errors.
I haven't used this mod yet but I'm fairly certain you can assist players in PvP. I can think of a few times that I've assisted someone in PvP but I will try it again later just to be certain.
vor_lord,Mar 29 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:No one has a name suggestion?  Vika's macro (on the official forum link above) is being called the ProtectHealer macro.  ProtectYourFriends ?
[right][snapback]72332[/snapback][/right]
GuardianSomething? SomethingGuardian? Protector? HealerCodPiece?
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
I have ran into a bit of an issue with tabbed targeting. I have noticed that if I am fighting someting, and only hit tab once, my target does not change. If I hit tab twice, then my target changes. This translates into the mod only checking to see if one mob is attacking the priest (or other char) 8 times and then exiting. This gave me a false positive sense when I was initially testing, because often I would be testing with only 1 or 2 mobs, and I knew that at least one was targeting the priest. In those situations, it is a higher probability that the first tab from the priest was going to be a mob attacking said priest. The mod would then see that target and then change to it. Everything was happy.

If, on the other hand, you highlight your priest, hit tab, get a target, assist that target, find you targeting yourself, hit tab again, you end up targeting the same mob again, and it again is showing as targeting you.
The tabs need to incriment on each pass. This means that on the first check, one tab is adequite, then on the second check, tab needs to happen twice, on the third pass 3 times etc.

Does this make sense?

Oh, and I cleaned out my interface, wtf and wdb folders and reinstalled the add on and stopped getting the errors on yellow mobs, so that was probably a problem with my old cosmos stuff I had removed previously.

Ravage,Apr 7 2005, 10:56 AM Wrote:I have ran into a bit of an issue with tabbed targeting.  I have noticed that if I am fighting someting, and only hit tab once, my target does not change.  If I hit tab twice, then my target changes.  This translates into the mod only checking to see if one mob is attacking the priest (or other char) 8 times and then exiting.  This gave me a false positive sense when I was initially testing, because often I would be testing with only 1 or 2 mobs, and I knew that at least one was targeting the priest.  In those situations, it is a higher probability that the first tab from the priest was going to be a mob attacking said priest.  The mod would then see that target and then change to it.  Everything was happy.

If, on the other hand, you highlight your priest, hit tab, get a target, assist that target, find you targeting yourself, hit tab again, you end up targeting  the same mob again, and it again is showing as targeting you.
The tabs need to incriment on each pass.  This means that on the first check, one tab is adequite,  then on the second check, tab needs to happen twice, on the third pass 3 times etc. 

Does this make sense?
[right][snapback]73317[/snapback][/right]

Unfortunately it does make a lot of sense. I originally thought this might be the case, and I had made the assumption that your testing had shown this wasn't necessary. The WoW forum thread was asking this same question, which I now know I answered incorrectly :(

I like your suggested solution -- it's an easy one to implement, and knowing that this problem actually exists seems to make more sense. The question of what seems to reset the tab targeting is more consistent in my feeble brain this way.

I'll make those changes and post here again when I've uploaded the fixed version so you can give it a try.
Also, Is there a way to put a hotkey into a macro?
That way I can make a macro that does:
/target Bob (random character name)
/hotkey r (my hotkey for this mod)
/attack

dont know if this is possible.
Ravage,Apr 7 2005, 01:29 PM Wrote:Also,  Is there a way to put a hotkey into a macro? 
That way I can make a macro that does:
/target Bob (random character name)
/hotkey r (my hotkey for this mod)
/attack

dont know if this is possible.
[right][snapback]73334[/snapback][/right]

I will implement this as a slash command in addition to a binding for just this reason. Then you should be able to make a macro that calls:

/target Bob
/aggrohelp

gack I need a better name, there have been a few here that are much better than aggro helper.
vor_lord,Apr 7 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:gack I need a better name, there have been a few here that are much better than aggro helper.
[right][snapback]73341[/snapback][/right]
You seemed to have missed my earlier post with several name suggestions. It's cool if you don't like them, but some sort of mention that you read them at some point would help. (sniff) But you're right, aggro helper is pretty lame...

Read my other post(s) on this thread. I at least thought some were worth a laugh...
(sniff)
bonemage,Apr 8 2005, 07:36 AM Wrote:You seemed to have missed my earlier post with several name suggestions.  It's cool if you don't like them, but some sort of mention that you read them at some point would help.  (sniff)  But you're right, aggro helper is pretty lame...

Read my other post(s) on this thread.  I at least thought some were worth a laugh...
(sniff)
[right][snapback]73377[/snapback][/right]

I was referring to yours as the 'some here' that are much better than aggro helper.
Sounds like a cool mod.

Just one question: As I understand the functionality, you select a friendly target, then the macro tab-cycles through all the enemie's in the friendly target's area, using assist on each one to check if they are targeting the friendly.

Are there any deadzones in the tab-targetting coverage? Would the macro pick up a mob attacking the friendly from behind for instance?

Names - ThreatCheck? ThreatWatch? Serve and Protect? Guard and Defend? Under Attack?

Chris
Icebird,Apr 8 2005, 09:21 AM Wrote:Sounds like a cool mod.

Just one question: As I understand the functionality, you select a friendly target, then the macro tab-cycles through all the enemie's in the friendly target's area, using assist on each one to check if they are targeting the friendly.

Are there any deadzones in the tab-targetting coverage? Would the macro pick up a mob attacking the friendly from behind for instance?

It is subject to all limitations of tab targeting. This means it will pick up something behind you, but at a reduced range compared to in front. This suggests a change in tactics (at least from how I tank). Typically I tank in front of the healers/dps chars, with my back to them. I spin the camera to get a wider side view while fighting.

Now, it will be advantageous to actually turn the character around and face toward the healer. Not only does this extend the range of the mod, but it will save time when/if I need to run toward the healer to protect them.

If there are dead zones (there were prior to the last major patch) it will suffer from them. Since that patch tab has worked a lot better, although I am so much in the habit of not using it that I'm not really sure how much better.

Quote:Names - ThreatCheck? ThreatWatch? Serve and Protect? Guard and Defend? Under Attack?
[right][snapback]73388[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the name suggestions! Once I fix the major problem Ravage found I'll get it named, and I'll probably just put it up on ui.worldofwar.net (yes, I know they don't like the LL but they allow me to upload w/o any shenanigans like curse requires).

I'm currently leaning towards AllyProtect for the name of the mod.
vor_lord,Apr 8 2005, 01:52 PM Wrote:If there are dead zones (there were prior to the last major patch) it will suffer from them.  Since that patch tab has worked a lot better, although I am so much in the habit of not using it that I'm not really sure how much better.
[right][snapback]73413[/snapback][/right]
It does work much better. I switch targets frequently (stopping runners, choosing lowest life mob to announce as focus fire target, etc.) using tab now, when before I used the life bars enabled by 'v' previously. That was somewhat annoying due to the ever changing height of these bars as mobs move around. Nothing more frustrating than clicking the instant after two bars swapped locations and annoucing the wrong target.

The newer tanking tactics of facing the casters is a good suggestion. I'll keep that in mind with my warrior.
Facing your healers (or for that matter your group) while tanking is a good idea in general.

First of all, it becomes painfully obvious when you don't have aggro without any UI mod, because anything not on you is facing the other direction. What this mod would allow you to do then is distinguish between mobs lost to rogues & other DPS classes (i.e. their own damn fault) vs. mobs lost to healing (which you need to do something about regardless of blame).

Secondly, if anyone else in your group is doing physical damage, they will do more to an exposed back due to fewer parries (and perhaps other advantages to an exposed back that I don't recall - I know that not only rogues benefit).

Finally, if you get adds and you're the closest one to the adds, they will default to you - giving you that rumored extra bonus to aggro by being the original entry in the mob's hate list.

Granted, I don't remember to do this 100% of the time (especially when being on the far side of the mob puts me too close to unlinked adds), but in principle it's an excellent idea.
Ok, I have posted up the new version of this.

It has been renamed to AllyProtect (thanks everyone for their suggestions, it helped me pick something better).

Same link:

Ally Protect Mod Download

I added Ravage's bug fix (still needs verification, if our healer drew aggro more than once or twice a night it'd be easier to test in a chaotic situation).

I also added another config variable in the .lua file. This one has you automatically attack the target when it finds one (set to true by default).

Also added it as a slash command, /allyprotect. This means you can use it in macros.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming -- I'd like this to end up being useful and maybe even slightly widespread!
Should be heading into BFD now so I can give it a test. I tried the older version out yesterday and was pleased with it.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)